First time in PV, Honeymooners, with concerns :(

Comments, tips, questions on Puerto & Nuevo Vallarta hotels, resorts, lodging and others.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

go-buckeyes
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
First time in PV, Honeymooners, with concerns :(

Post by go-buckeyes » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:06 pm

Hello,

We are planning a honeymoon to PV from June 30-July 4.
The flight is booked and I am trying now to decide on a place to stay.
I'm 80% sure we will book at Golden Crown, but now I'm second guessing all-inclusive.

It has been brought to my attention that there will be no alchohol sales on July 1st and 2nd due to a prez. election on the 2nd. This will include all-inclusive guests at GC, I called to confirm. So, with no alcohol I'm concerned that the allure of the all inclusive is lost.

Should I still consider GC and stock up on two days worth of beer and booze to stow away poolside. Is the food good enough to constitute not getting any alcohol for two days.

Also, can you swim in the ocean at GC or is is somewhat nasty?

Thank you so much

titustitans
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by titustitans » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:14 pm

I would still go for it. You could use those two days as reason to get out into the city and eat at the places in town. Or not, since it is your honeymoon :wink: :wink: . Will your room come with a fridge? If so, just stock up before the first day on beer and other stuff. As far as the swimming goes, I don't know why it would be nasty? Never been to the GCP myself, but have been to other locations and have always gone in the water.

ozzy
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by ozzy » Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:29 pm

The GCP is a very nice place to stay no matter the absence of alcohol. I hadn't thought about it until I read your post but the staff, food and accomodations would be enough to make you want to spend time there. I know your time is limited but you will still have 3 days to get hammered if that's the goal. Spend the other 2 days doing a tour or just loafing around town there is lots to do.

north
PV Fan
PV Fan

Prez Election

Post by north » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:31 am

If they aren't serving alcohol at your hotel because of an election, there won't be any "legal" alcohol served anywhere in Mexico for the same reason. Depending on why you want AI, seems like two days without alcohol sort of defeats the purpose of AI. From past personal experience, the alcohol ban during elections is enforced.

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:09 pm

Maybe that's why my trip was so cheap. :roll: If this is true I'll just have to get a bottle of tequila and rum from one of the stores and become my own bartender for the two days, just like at home. I have noticed that some resort towns have made a special dispensation for resorts and are allowing liquore to be served. Either way, I'm still going to have a good time at the GCP.

go-buckeyes
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by go-buckeyes » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:11 pm

I'm still going and have some experience pouring a drink or two myself. I called the GCP and they said they would still be serving drinks the day before the election, the 1st, but will not on the 2nd. So that is only one day, not a big deal.

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:09 pm

Thanks for the update...1 day of being my own bartender will not hurt too much. If it does I'll see if the wife could pour, eventhough she doesn't fix my drinks at home either. :lol:
My only problem is not having those awsome bloody marys first thing in the morning.

SHERRYPV
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by SHERRYPV » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:27 pm

That may be a good day to plan a Fishing trip. You may be able to set it up that they bring the beer. It will have to be purchased ahead of time. I love the GCP and I just can not imaging what it is like without drinks being served. Could get intersting if people do not know in advance.
Last edited by SHERRYPV on Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kansas
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by kansas » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:31 pm

Yeah, go ahead and stay there. I like to drink too, but I also will eat all day long and dont forget about the room service too.

If you plan on doing any tours or other activities, just plan them for that day. You will be away anyway and not be able to use the AI most the day.

Maybe you can go with Chuck somewhere? Or at least share a cab to Wal-Mart or Gigante to stock up the day before.

kjwingers
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by kjwingers » Tue May 02, 2006 9:52 pm

ozzy wrote:The GCP is a very nice place to stay no matter the absence of alcohol. I hadn't thought about it until I read your post but the staff, food and accomodations would be enough to make you want to spend time there. I know your time is limited but you will still have 3 days to get hammered if that's the goal. Spend the other 2 days doing a tour or just loafing around town there is lots to do.
hi,

I see you live in conroe. We live in spring. We are planning a trip to PV in July. We have never been to Mexico. Do you know anything about the Riu Jalisco? That is where we are planning to stay. I would appreciate any advice that you might have. We are celebrating 15 years of marriage. We are not drinkers. Do you drink the water?

ozzy
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by ozzy » Tue May 02, 2006 11:23 pm

hi,

I see you live in conroe. We live in spring. We are planning a trip to PV in July. We have never been to Mexico. Do you know anything about the Riu Jalisco? That is where we are planning to stay. I would appreciate any advice that you might have. We are celebrating 15 years of marriage. We are not drinkers. Do you drink the water?[/quote]

Congratulations, you have chosen one of the best places to go in Mexico for the first time. Although we have never stayed at the Riu my better half tells me they are all nice (her travel agent told her so). I believe it is in Nuevo Vallarta or there close and is also very nice. It is not in town so I recommend going to town and explore. As far as drinking the water it's good anywhere. We have traveled to PV for a while now and have never had any problems with anything as far as eating or drinking. That said bottled water or refreshments in a can or bottle is always a good choice. I can only give you one more piece of advice, relax, enjoy your time there because it will pass quickly. We will be there July 4th throgh the 11th as well and get ready for the heat. Everything we in Texas think we know about heat will soon be for not when we get there. Talk about humid - be sure and bring all 100% cotton clothing, leave the rayon & polyester at home. Happy anniversary!!! Ours is May 3rd...

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Wed May 03, 2006 12:41 pm

If you are basing your total honeymoon on alcohol at an all-inclusive then you truly do not understand the "all-inclusive" concept. Alcohol is only a small portion of the experience, granted most "newbies" to the all-inclusive concept, try to drink their weeks allotment in the first day or two. and boy have we seen some hurtin souls around the pool or beach the next couple of days. there have been happy "idiots" and then there are the ugly "idiots"... sorry i just don't want to call them drunks, because they just don't know any better. might be their first time out of the country or on a vacation of this magnitude. We just got back (22-29 of April) from the GCP. We just love the staff of this resort. They are more of a family to us than most of our regular family members. The thing, is you can do as much as you want or as little as you want. And if alcohol is an issue with you, go to one of the markets grab beers, or a bottle of your favorite alcohol, and make your own. But don't sell an all-inclusive down the drain because of two days without alcohol.... but then that is jmo....

enjoy your honeymoon at the GCP....

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Wed May 03, 2006 2:14 pm

Correct Don Tomas, one should not avoid an AI just because of one dry day. I will just truck to the nearest store and pickup a small bottle of rum, tequila and maybe a nice red wine from Chile, that way I've got the whole day covered.
I think an AI is the way to go if you are making your first trip out of your country or a really unfamiliar location. That way you know you are assured of meals and drinks without thinking of your budjet. I have met many a young traveler who after a few days of heavy partying, ran out of money and with credit already streached to the max has had very little the last day or two of their spring break. Back when the airlines actually gave you a sandwich for lunch I gave mine away to a famished fellow of about 20.
Tom, glad to have you back, 'casue there was very little activity on this board during your vacation. I may PM you with specific questions about our favorite resort.

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Wed May 03, 2006 3:43 pm

Thanks Chuck, and you are right as well. With a little creativity you can still have you "fix" if you need it. We had a group on this last trip that were making every other day trips to Bimbo's down the street or the Mini Super for their "Bud Light" ... i couldn't believe that they had to have "Bud Light" to be happy. IT IS AN IMPORT dummies. Oh well...

talk to you soon....

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Wed May 03, 2006 4:33 pm

Anheiser-Busch products- YUK!
I believe I have my plan in place and will stick to it. I's only on e day after all.

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Wed May 03, 2006 8:50 pm

chuck wrote:Anheiser-Busch products- YUK!
I believe I have my plan in place and will stick to it. I's only on e day after all.
:wink: my thoughts exactly... but oh well... 8)

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Thu May 04, 2006 4:37 pm

Tom< I don't want to stray too much here, but could you tell me if they still serve the mahi-mahi sands at lunch at the Breeze bar. I'm looking so forward to having those again.

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Thu May 04, 2006 6:05 pm

chuck wrote:Tom< I don't want to stray too much here, but could you tell me if they still serve the mahi-mahi sands at lunch at the Breeze bar. I'm looking so forward to having those again.
Si senor, numero ocho con avacado. there is still plenty there, as well as Sol from Margarito is still bartending down there too.

kansas
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by kansas » Thu May 04, 2006 7:42 pm

9 weeks and I will be enjoying muy mahi-mahi sandwiches!

Between eating those and the tacos at the snack shack all afternoon, I have no need for any other food. I am sure I will still eat dinner and order room service too!

I have to have something to soak up the Heradura!

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Fri May 05, 2006 1:44 pm

Excelente, also really glad to see Sol still there. Good luck Kansas, I hope I will go easy on those lunch items so there will be some for you.