Girasol Sur Condos

Comments, tips, questions on Puerto & Nuevo Vallarta hotels, resorts, lodging and others.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

diverfromdallas
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Girasol Sur Condos

Post by diverfromdallas » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:41 pm

Has anyone ever stayed in the Girasol Sur Condos?
If so, then could you tell me about them and the surroundings.
How is the beach? How is the diving in PV and can anyone recommend who to dive with?
Last edited by diverfromdallas on Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rossk
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by rossk » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:52 pm

Never stayed there, but spent a week next door at the Presidente in '04. The beach at the Presidente is quite nice, very light sand, fairly long, though it can be shallow at high tide. Since all beaches are public in Mexico, it's yours to use, though it looked like you had to hop some rocks and boulders to get there. Incidentally, they have turtle hatchling releases there in season.

We considered renting a condo there, the rates are very reasonable, but ended up reserving in Punta Negra for our next trip in Oct.

You're fairly removed from most commerical areas, restaurants and shops are mostly a bus/cab/car ride away. You can search the archives, I think there was a recent thread that touched on this.

rosie

Post by rosie » Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:40 am

we stay every year right next door at Playa Gemelas, the beach is gorgeous, good for swimming and paddling about.
the bus stops right across the street and is about 15' into town. Mismaloya would be about the same distance the opposite direction. Girasol Sur has a good palapa restaurant and small grocery store and the Presidente next door has a couple of restaurants including a great Italian restaurant, D'Antonio. Also a small gift shop in the lobby here. The beach vendors visit Gemelas on weekends.

diverfromdallas
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by diverfromdallas » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:52 am

I want to thank you for the info. I was really scared that we had picked the wrong place to vacation this year. I am glad that this place is out of the tourist area. We usually rent a casa on Isla Mujeres (a island off of Cancun) which has hardly no tourists but is starting to get really popular. I do not like the tourist areas. I have not been to PV in 10 years and back then it was great. I heard they have a Wal-Mart now and it looks like the US as does Cancun. I like old towns where you really can get to know the people and their culture as I am a history major. Thanks again for the info.

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

PV

Post by Jennybean » Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:54 pm

I heard they have a Wal-Mart now and it looks like the US as does Cancun.
That's not entirely accurate.

PV does have a fairly modern hotel zone/marina area that reminds me somewhat of San Diego, but rest assured, it does not in any way resemble Cancun, nor has it been completely Americanized.

There are still many, many areas in and around the bay that remain beautiful and untouched, and many great areas to stay that are not like being at the HoJo in downtown Miami Beach. PV is still very much a Mexican town...albeit one with a lot of the creature comforts of home, most of which are demanded by the vacationing Mexican nationals that visit every year. They like the stores as much as we do (in fact, everytime I've been to WalMart in PV it is about 85% Mexicans shopping there).

While it has definitely changed over the last decade, PV is still very much like going to Mexico, rest assured.

rosie

Post by rosie » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:16 pm

diverfromdallas when will you be in PV?

diverfromdallas
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by diverfromdallas » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:02 pm

Thank you jennybean. That makes me feel a whole lot better. Rosie, I will be in PV July 23rd thru August 2. Can anyone recommend a good dive company and how is the diving in PV.

welovesnorkelling
PV Fan
PV Fan

GIRASAL SUR

Post by welovesnorkelling » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:43 pm

My wife and 2 kids stayed at giraal about ten years ago. The condo we were in had two bed rooms upstairs the condo had two balconys up stairs and one off the living room. These two floors were joined with a beautiful metal spiral staircase The property had a nice pool with a swim up bar or sit down area. Be side this there was a palapa covered restaurant facing the bay of banderas. The beaches are on either side of the property because of a wave break . be carefull when swimming very stong waves also undertow which pulls you out to sea. the grounds are beutiful and staff were helpfull. Right of the entrance is a little store if you need some grocerys or cold beer. Last year my wife and I went back to puerto vallarta and we stoped by to see if girasal had changed any to our surprise everything was exactly the except the trees and plants were much bigger. We sat in the gardens had a beer reminised about the time we had with the kids and how beutiful every thing looked. I hope this helps you .

JROJEFF
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by JROJEFF » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:11 pm

Thanks for the great info. I will be staying there in Nov. for 2 weeks, the owner of the condo has sent me some info that backs up what you have posted along with some great past referances of people staying there.
Jro

rosie

Post by rosie » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:33 pm

the beach to the north of Girasol Sur (in front of Playa Gemelas) is not nearly as wild as the beach to the south in front of Presidente. Even I venture in and I'm a non swimmer.