Hotel Eloisa

Comments, tips, questions on Puerto & Nuevo Vallarta hotels, resorts, lodging and others.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God
Hotel Eloisa

Post by travelbug_jp » Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:48 pm

Has anyone ever stayed at Hotel Eloisa? If so what can you tell me- good or not so good about it? I tried doing a search but came up with over 3000 entries about all kinds. Thanks.

Joyce

susan p
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Eloisa

Post by susan p » Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:06 pm

I have visited the hotel several times over the years. Never stayed there (only because I stay at even cheaper places). I love the location. Front desk staff was always polite.

There are different types of rooms, and different pricing (fan only or air con, TV or not, suites with kitchenette, by number of people, etc.). I would ask for an exterior or room with a balcony, because I saw some room facing only to the interior core of the hotel were dark.

There are two very small pools. One just off the lobby with only a couple chairs. A great rooftop for sunning but the tile pool up there is very small and shallow too. This is not a negative comment, but if you're expecting a pool like the Marriott... well these aren't them -lol.

The place looks very clean and is very "Mexican" in feeling.
________
Vapir No2 Vaporizer
Last edited by susan p on Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JROJEFF
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by JROJEFF » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:23 am

I never stayed there but if you want a cheap ,clean , great location room I will rec . the pescador . ocean view room is a must ,great view ,nice bell boys and you cant beat the location . close to pipi's ,not to far to andales , or cyc's if you like to walk instead of a cab or bus. and you are right next door to the water taxis to yelapa ( well rosita is next door to that ) but you are 2 blocks from that . I felt more comfortable there then when I stayed at the ( i forget ) tourist village where i was vacationing with americans not the mexican people that I came to meet.
jro

Ann
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Ann » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:50 am

JROJEFF wrote:I never stayed there but if you want a cheap ,clean , great location room I will rec . the pescador . ocean view room is a must ,great view ,nice bell boys and you cant beat the location . close to pipi's ,not to far to andales , or cyc's if you like to walk instead of a cab or bus. and you are right next door to the water taxis to yelapa ( well rosita is next door to that ) but you are 2 blocks from that . I felt more comfortable there then when I stayed at the ( i forget ) tourist village where i was vacationing with americans not the mexican people that I came to meet.
jro
what about posada de roger? I've always enjoyed staying there.

susan p
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by susan p » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:43 pm

Like Ann, I am a big fan and frequent return guest of Posada de Roger. It is less expensive than Hotel Eloisa. It is a very simple hotel, but squeaky clean with all ammenities like AC, TV, etc. and the only complaint I ever get about it, is that some people find it too noisy from street traffic.
________
Dodge Tomahawk
Last edited by susan p on Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by travelbug_jp » Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:20 pm

That is all super feedback. Thanks for taking the time. Any more details like prices, tips on floors to stay on, pools, etc. please feel free to PM me.
I appreciate all the info. Thanks again

Joyce

JPinBC

Post by JPinBC » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:04 pm

Hi Joyce .... The 'El Pescador' and 'Rosita' are great budget, Mexican, beach-side hotels in the 'downtown'. These "sister hotels" are close to everything, but 'not' directly in the middle of it. The Malecon and attractions are nearby, the south-side just a pleasant Malecon walk away. Their street-side locations are, or certainly can be busy & noisy though (especially, the Rosita's, which is right on the main drag, the El Pescador's is on more of a side-street, and quieter), but their ocean-view sides are good, with nice views, and wonderful sea-breezes to sleep by!!

We had an inside-courtyard, top-floor room, with partial city/ocean-views at the Rosita a few years ago and really enjoyed it. And we found the beds at the Rosita to be the best we have ever slept on in Vallarta!!

We like the 'Eloisa's' location - in the south-side, our favourite side of town - but we haven't seen the rooms, only the outside and lobby, etc. Meant to check out some rooms last May, but never did get to doing it. One plus, the location is certainly handy to all that's available in the south-side.

Cheers, and good luck in the planning!!

mshuckleberrys
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by mshuckleberrys » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:51 pm

Does anyone know where the hotel Hortensia is in Old Town. I saw it mentioned somewhere? I have stayed at the Elosia and Gavioata (sp) in Old Town. They are back to back. Either one is not bad. Nora

palapa_gal
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by palapa_gal » Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:43 am

mshuckleberrys wrote:Does anyone know where the hotel Hortensia is in Old Town. I saw it mentioned somewhere? I have stayed at the Elosia and Gavioata (sp) in Old Town. They are back to back. Either one is not bad. Nora
Here is their webiste

(www.hotelhortencia.com)

susan p
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Hortencia

Post by susan p » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:21 pm

Yes, Hotel Hortencia is on Madero (parallel to and just south of the river), inland maybe 6 blocks or so. There are a number of budget hotels in a row there. I believe Hortencia did a remodel awhile back, and now has a website, which makes it the fanciest of the humble bunch! No pool. I saw rooms there, but it was a number of years ago. The family who ran the place was very nice. Rooms basic and clean. For me a pool is a must, which is why I most often end up back at Posada Roger's.

Other budget favorites on that same street (Madero) are Villa del Mar and Hotel Azteca. No pools or websites. Reservation by phone or fax only.
________
COOKING DISCUSSION
Last edited by susan p on Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

charlieb

Post by charlieb » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:53 am

My wife and I have stayed at the Eloisa twice. We have also stayed at Playa Los Arcos. Eloisa has a much more friendly staff. They sort of make you feel like you are part of their family. We stayed in a suite on the third floor overlooking the park. Very nice with a a lanai. I don't know of the park is being destroyed yet, but if not, a very nice view. Park to the front, ocean to the right and mountains to the left. There is a rather small pool on the roof along with tables lounges and chairs. Excellent view from there. The suite has a kitchen, dining area, living room, bedroom with king size bed (hard) and small bathroom. The A/C works great and quiet. I would recomment the Eloisa. Have fun. Chuck... 8)

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by travelbug_jp » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:40 pm

Thanks CharlieB Now that's exactly what I wanted to hear! We scouted it out in Feb. but for the life of me I can't remember what it was like, except the pool area I remember that. We looked at about 7 or 8 others as well, but this one stuck in Fred's head.
What's a lanai?

Joyce

charlieb

Post by charlieb » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:04 am

You're welcome. Sorry, a lanai is an outside patio. Keep in mind that the Eloisa is a Mexican hotel, and as such, different from the Marriots or Hiltons, etc. You will be in Old Town with locals. Their website is (www.hoteleloisa.com). Have fun! Chuck

ps: is Park Gardenas still a park or has it been bulldozed? Thanks

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Park

Post by Jennybean » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:32 am

So far, Parque Lazaro Cardenas is still a park...for now.

That could change today, tomorrow, six months from now. Hard to tell.

vermontchef
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Hotel Eloisa

Post by vermontchef » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:20 am

Let me give you the definative word on the Eloisa. It is a distinctly Mexican hotel. This means that the hospitality is gracious and friendly and comes from the heart of the employees. The rooms are clean and varied. The prices are very inexpensive and go up as you require a/c, tv, kitchenette, but are always lower than other places so close to the beach.
I loved staying there. I loved it when the bell person helped me with my Spanish, when they looked for another room because the TV didn't work, when an employeee came dancing into our room with a wonderfully aromatic flower still attached to the branch of the tree that she borrowed it from. After waving the flower around, she presented it to us as a token of her warmth and hospitality.
The restaurant downstairs is a fantastic traditional Mexican restaurant, featured on Rick Bayless' TV show. The prices are very low, and the food is wonderful, breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
The downside is that if you are an "ugly American", which is so poplular these days, you will probably not be presented with an aromtic flower, although the level of service will not decline. If you need to be uppity, try any of the all-inclusives on the beach where only English is spoken and all the guests are from north of the border. But if you like Mexico, you will love the Eloisa.

howard_jax
PV Master
PV Master

Post by howard_jax » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:36 pm

Nice report Sandy.

The speed bumps are because you and Barb are "Fast" Girls. LOL :lol: :lol:

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by travelbug_jp » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:05 pm

:D Thanks for all that, keep it coming if you think of more stuff. I am in the process of composing a request in regards to this hotel to a contact in PV but its taking a while cuz I'm doing it in Spanish (his English is not so good, my Spanish is terrible) Hopefully he can help us out in regards to prices and reservations.

Joyce

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ellen » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:08 pm

travelbug_jp wrote::D Thanks for all that, keep it coming if you think of more stuff. I am in the process of composing a request in regards to this hotel to a contact in PV but its taking a while cuz I'm doing it in Spanish (his English is not so good, my Spanish is terrible) Hopefully he can help us out in regards to prices and reservations.

Joyce
Joyce, if you want to, you can PM me and tell me in English what you want to say. I'll translate and send it back to you.

Ellen

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by travelbug_jp » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:23 pm

Thanks Ellen, my Spanish instructor over here is going to grade my Spanish attempt as part of my summer homework! She's away for a couple of days so I have to wait till she returns. But I appreciate the offer, among other things :wink:

Joyce

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ellen » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:43 am

travelbug_jp wrote:Thanks Ellen, my Spanish instructor over here is going to grade my Spanish attempt as part of my summer homework! She's away for a couple of days so I have to wait till she returns. But I appreciate the offer, among other things :wink:

Joyce
I forgot you were taking Spanish. Good luck with your homework.