1st Trip to PV - Camino Real

Report on your Puerto Vallarta trip, hotel, restaurant, tour, etc.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

marilynlam
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
1st Trip to PV - Camino Real

Post by marilynlam » Sat Feb 16, 2002 2:28 pm

In return for all of the great information we got on these boards, I wanted to let you know about our first trip.
Left 2/6 out of Denver, charter flight no problems, got to PV about noon. Loaded on van, which drove into Viejo Vallarta for one stop, then to the Camino Real. Were a little overwhelmed by all of the traffic around the airport & marina area, and glad we stayed on the south side of town.
Camino Real is a wonderful hotel, it gave us exactly what we wanted in peace and quiet, and the feeling that it is a hotel in Mexico, rather than a generic, huge resort. Beautiful grounds and beach, excellent staff and great restaurants, with the exception of their Italian, which was a disappointment, but the only one in a week of eating out.
Spent the week lying on the beach for a part of the day, eating two meals a day, napping, shopping in PV, practicing Spanish with whoever would reply, and, oh yes, drinking mucho tequila y cerveza.
Took a taxi to the Marina one afternoon, just to look at the boats and talked to a few of the guys working on them.
Went to Yelapa one day, took a taxi from the hotel to Boca de Tomatlan, then a water taxi. This was the day the weather changed, before the big rain on Tuesday, so the waves were up. Were a little surprised by how many people could fit in the panga, but relaxed once we saw how close to the shoreline we would be and that all had life-jackets, so watched out for whales. Didn’t see any this trip, but I look at that as a reason to go back. Yelapa was interesting, we walked around the paths of the town on a quiet Sunday morning and talked to several friendly people. One young boy on a burro was interesting, we looked at him as local color, then realized he was playing a Game-Boy as he rode along. Had a good meal at the Marlin on the beach.
Spent Saturday night along Olas Altas, really enjoyed all of the families and tourists out for a good time.
We had been to San Jose del Cabo (15 yrs ago), Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo (2 yrs) and Mayan Riviera (last year). Zihua had been our favorite until this trip, and we would have gone there except for the problem with flights from Denver – there aren’t any. Puerto Vallarta has now become the new favorite. All of the people we met were friendly and helpful, the town is charming, safe and entertaining, and the restaurants are incredible.

Danani

Re:1st Trip to PV - Camino Real

Post by Danani » Mon Feb 25, 2002 7:20 pm

We're going on APril 24-27 and planning on staying in the Camino Real. ANy suggestions, advice??? Never even been to Mexico before.

Thanks
Dana

Vicki

Post by Vicki » Sun Mar 10, 2002 4:06 pm

This is my first visit to the PV message board and I really enjoyed reading your report. We went to Mayan Riviera to an all inclusive last year and are just checking into options for next year. Sounds like you prefer PV and I would love a little more information as to why. We were only there 4 nights and stayed at the Iberostar Tucan which had a lovely tropical setting and we went into Playa Del Carmen and visited Tulum and that's about it. Is there more to do in PV and would you stay in an all inclusive?

marilynlam
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by marilynlam » Tue May 07, 2002 1:59 am

Dana - hope you had a great time! Didn't get back to even thinking about vacation until now.
As for PV vs. Mayan Riviera, we were there with our teenagers last year at an all-inclusive. There were more Candians than any other nationality, very nice people by the way, and the food was kind of generic. Beautiful beaches, went to Chichen Itza, but even the kids said it didn't feel like we were in Mexico. Will probably go back someday to see more ruins, but I do prefer the Pacific side. Like being in a real Mexican town.