Ode to Mexico: story published... by (our) Ellen Fenton .

Report on your Puerto Vallarta trip, hotel, restaurant, tour, etc.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God
Ode to Mexico: story published... by (our) Ellen Fenton .

Post by Plus4 » Mon May 07, 2007 1:56 pm

Congratulations ellen on being published in the
The Guadalajara Reporter .... :)
Thumbs up!

Ode to Mexico: a Canadian’s opinion of life down south

Story by : ELLEN FENTON

Much has been made in recent years of how dangerous it is to travel to Mexico. Well, I not only travel there but this past year I spent five months living there at the condo my husband and I purchased in Puerto Vallarta in February 2003. Admittedly, I am biased towards Mexico, having lived on their Gulf Coast for two years in the mid-80s when my husband’s work took us to the state of Veracruz. We made many friends and had such wonderful experiences that life has never been the same since. I often think that in some ways it was the best thing that ever happened to me, while in others it was one of the worst.
Since then I have never been content with life in Canada. It matters not that I know we live in a beautiful, relatively safe country with a nice lifestyle and good health care. I recognize that I have a wonderful family living here, great friends and a nice house. But ever since March 7, 1986, when I once again stepped foot on Canadian soil, I have been scheming and dreaming of ways to live in Mexico again. There is something indefinable about life there. It’s not only the climate and kind people, it’s the Mexican lifestyle and ambiance that we just can’t match here.
I ask myself what are the best things about being back in Canada and all I can come up with is that it’s great to be able to put toilet paper in the bowl or to turn on the tap and take a drink of water without thinking twice about it. Is that fair to Canada? Probably not, and because I love this country, I am well aware of that. Many people will say the best thing must be the safety, but our area is no safer than Vallarta, and Toronto, in fact, has much more crime.
What then is it about life in Mexico in general and Vallarta in particular? Partially it’s the climate, of course. Life in tropical countries is generally more filled with joie de vivre and this is due in no small part to being outdoors in the sunshine with balmy breezes and flower-filled landscapes. But there is more to it than that. Perhaps in my case it’s the small things. The Mexican neighbor who, upon hearing I was ill, brought me a plate of honey-drenched papaya and insisted I eat it in front of her so she knew I got it down. Or the lady who saw the difficulty we were having getting across a flooded street and offered us a ride in her car. Maybe it’s the restaurant owner who two years ago asked if I was happy living there. When I replied yes, but I was lonely, she took me by the elbow and introduced me to her customers and staff. Or the doctor, called to our home after a day-long bout of Moctezuma’s Revenge, who arrived on our doorstep within 45 minutes of getting the call from our caretaker, gave me his cell number so I could call him if I felt worse, then called later to see how I was. Maybe it was our caretaker Jose’s wife, Ana Maria, who knitted me a red and white scarf to bring home so I wouldn’t catch a cold in the frigid Canadian weather, or the young children in the neighborhood who call out to me “Hola, Elena” each time they see me.
Vallarta’s expat community also contributes to the sense of belonging that we feel. People who at home would never think of asking a perfect stranger where they are from suddenly start initiating conversations. “Where are you folks from?” starts many a conversation on the streets, on the buses or in the restaurants of Vallarta.
Those of us who stay for any length of time find ourselves muttering about tourists, lamenting that the cruise ships are in and the sidewalks are crowded. We are proud of our grasp of Mexican ways and of Spanish, no matter how minute. We are eager to share this knowledge with the poor, deluded people who come for only a week or two, especially those who stay in the all-inclusive resorts that line the bay. We show off in little ways, stopping to ask if we can help with directions when we see tourists poring over a map, or interpreting a bit when it’s obvious there is a language barrier. We explain the vagaries of the bus routes to the confused foreigners at the bus stops and help them get on the right bus. We scoff at those tourists who take taxis everywhere, refusing to even try the buses even though their ride may include being serenaded by guitar players. We find ourselves at times trying to answer the question “but what do you do here for so long?”
The answer is really quite simple. We live. We shop, we cook, we visit friends, we dine out more than we should, we play cards, we go to dinner theater, and we perhaps volunteer at a school for underprivileged children. We employ locals to do our bidding and sometimes we get lucky – they befriend us and we get a small introduction into their lives and ways. Whatever it is that happens when the Canadian or American veil over our eyes finally lifts, we count ourselves fortunate to have found such a place and lifestyle and wonder if it’s really best to write about it because maybe, just maybe, it will have a little impact on someone and make our little corner of paradise a bit more crowded.

nevadabadgirl
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by nevadabadgirl » Mon May 07, 2007 2:21 pm

Congratulations on being published, that is no easy feat anywhere!

Great article, I am actually going to print it and show it to some friends...they ask why I chose Mexico for our vacation, and this story echoes the feelings and experiences I have had in Mexico many times over!

Great read, thanks for the post!

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ellen » Mon May 07, 2007 2:30 pm

Thank you, Sylvia and thank you also Nevadabadgirl. I'm glad you enjoyed it. It is going to be published, along with pictures, in my hometown paper at some point, too. It probably won't be quite as popular as it may be on this website, though......

zaksam321
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by zaksam321 » Mon May 07, 2007 2:35 pm

Very neat article Ellen. I have compiled many similar stories of local Vallarta hospitality over the years and have made many freindships which will last a lifetime while on my travels there. It is truly my favorite place in the world. :)

northmb
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by northmb » Mon May 07, 2007 2:54 pm

A great article Ellen! Truly captures the feeling in one's heart after visiting PV. I know that while we, too, truly appreciate our life here in northern Canada there is just something almost surreal that sweeps over us when we arrive in PV - a sense of calm and contentment. We are so looking forward to making it our second home.

Congrats on a wonderful article and being published!!

Sherry & Des

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Mon May 07, 2007 3:25 pm

DELETED

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ellen » Mon May 07, 2007 4:34 pm

mexibeach wrote:What an excellent article Ellen! Way to go -- good for you!!!! Of course I concur wholeheartedly! Can't wait to see your next piece!
Bretta, it's the 4th piece of mine they published but it's doubtful I will have anymore for awhile. It's hard to write about when you're not there and I won't be there until at least the Fall, sadly.

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Mon May 07, 2007 5:04 pm

DELETED

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Great

Post by webmaster » Mon May 07, 2007 5:24 pm

Thanks for that Ellen, glad to hear you've found your own little paradise, as have many others.

BTW I always throw toilet paper in the bowl and drinking from the tap... well, I don't like the taste of chloride the water has, no matter where you live (though there were some impressive places in Chile, close the Andes where the water tasted as from a spring) :-) maybe that's the case in Toronto?

What I do miss in Guadalajara compared to Copenhagen (for example), are the innumerable bicycle trails and the perfect streets and roads with special roads & stop lights for bikes/cars/pedestrians and all in perfect synchronization... I'd go to my job on my bike each day if it was possible, as it is today it's a sure way to live a short life.

Greetings

Mogens

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ellen » Mon May 07, 2007 6:46 pm

mexibeach wrote:
ellen wrote:
mexibeach wrote:What an excellent article Ellen! Way to go -- good for you!!!! Of course I concur wholeheartedly! Can't wait to see your next piece!
Bretta, it's the 4th piece of mine they published but it's doubtful I will have anymore for awhile. It's hard to write about when you're not there and I won't be there until at least the Fall, sadly.
Are the others visible on the net? I'd love to read them....
I hear ya on getting back there....
Well, their website is www.guadalajarareporter.com but the other 3 articles are all in the Puerto Vallarta section and I believe you have to be a subscriber to read them.

tandr2
PV Master
PV Master

Post by tandr2 » Mon May 07, 2007 7:15 pm

I printed this article off this morning and I finally had a chance to read it... Wow! I happen to be one of the people who stay in the resorts along the coast but we venture a little farther every trip. One day maybe we'll be brave and stay off the resort... maybe once the kids are older and possibly even moved out... until then, we'll stay in the hotel zone because it works for us.

Anyways... GREAT article... I too would love to get my hands on your other articles. :)

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ellen » Mon May 07, 2007 7:51 pm

tandr2 wrote:I printed this article off this morning and I finally had a chance to read it... Wow! I happen to be one of the people who stay in the resorts along the coast but we venture a little farther every trip. One day maybe we'll be brave and stay off the resort... maybe once the kids are older and possibly even moved out... until then, we'll stay in the hotel zone because it works for us.

Anyways... GREAT article... I too would love to get my hands on your other articles. :)
Thank you and let me hasten to explain that I meant no disrepect to those who stay in resorts. This article was written for my hometown paper and intended for a perhaps non-travelling or even somewhat anti-Mexican audience, in response to the bad press that Mexico has gotten at home. I too have stayed in resorts in my time and I know that they are often the only choice available. As for the other articles, they were more in the vein of reviews so entirely different from this one. One was about the Puerto Vallarta Writer's Weekend Workshop in early February, one was about the sculpture tour that Gary Thompson of Galeria Pacifico leads every Tuesday and one was about the opening of Bedazzled at the Santa Barbara Dinner Theater. The whole idea is to get more PV news in the G.Reporter's pages. Interestingly, the last 2 did not carry my name on them. When I asked the editor about that he apologized and said it was a mistake in the layout room. So even if you get on their website you might not have known they were mine.

tandr2
PV Master
PV Master

Post by tandr2 » Mon May 07, 2007 8:07 pm

Ellen - in no way did I take offence to your article... I loved it... It almost brought tears to my eyes.

I struggle to answer the same question over and over " why not try someplace different"... I can't seem to make people understand PV feels like home to us.

Keep on writing...

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Ellen's Story

Post by smitty » Mon May 07, 2007 9:42 pm

Great story Ellen - your posts are always a favourite and this is an extra special treat . :)

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Re: Ellen's Story

Post by ellen » Mon May 07, 2007 9:51 pm

smitty wrote:Great story Ellen - your posts are always a favourite and this is an extra special treat . :)
What a sweet thing to say! Thank you very much.

Winnipeg gal 1
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by Winnipeg gal 1 » Tue May 08, 2007 12:37 pm

Great article Ellen :) I also look forward to all your posts,mini reports,etc.Looking forward to reading many more. :)

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Re: Great

Post by ellen » Tue May 08, 2007 1:37 pm

mgallard wrote:Thanks for that Ellen, glad to hear you've found your own little paradise, as have many others.

BTW I always throw toilet paper in the bowl and drinking from the tap... well, I don't like the taste of chloride the water has, no matter where you live (though there were some impressive places in Chile, close the Andes where the water tasted as from a spring) :-) maybe that's the case in Toronto?

What I do miss in Guadalajara compared to Copenhagen (for example), are the innumerable bicycle trails and the perfect streets and roads with special roads & stop lights for bikes/cars/pedestrians and all in perfect synchronization... I'd go to my job on my bike each day if it was possible, as it is today it's a sure way to live a short life.

Hi Mogens. Regarding the water issue, I drink tap water at home and actually firmly believe that bottled water is pretty much a big scam. I had the water tested in our condo by a lab on Calle Morelos and it tested pure. I let my neighbours know that there was no need for bottled water and they all scoffed at that and said they wouldn't drink the water because the tanks hadn't been cleaned in 4 years. After that, everytime I went to take a drink of tap water it gave me pause, hence my statement about taking a drink without giving it a second thought. Next year we will have a water purifier installed plus the condo board is having the tanks cleaned, and then I really won't think twice.

Greetings

Mogens

michelle/tyler
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by michelle/tyler » Tue May 08, 2007 3:09 pm

very nice ellen I really enjoyed that. We love the buses, other than from and to the airport in taxi we used the buses and yes its true there was a guy on there one time playing his guitar.

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by travelbug_jp » Wed May 23, 2007 1:13 am

Ellen, I'll throw my in my 2 pesos worth too! I thought your articles were brilliant and lots of the things you said hit home for me also. I think you are an extremely talented writer and I'm proud of you on being published for a fourth time and I know that there will be many more articles to come. Perhaps your next one could be on the yearning to get back to PV when one is far away!
Joyce

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Wed May 23, 2007 4:07 pm

DELETED