the first part, Oct 13-17

Report on your Puerto Vallarta trip, hotel, restaurant, tour, etc.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

rossk
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
the first part, Oct 13-17

Post by rossk » Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:56 pm

On our recent trip, we managed to go to a number of places we’d previously missed, as well as returning to some old favorites. We enjoyed most everything we tried, with only a couple of disappointments.

First night, our cheeseburger-loving teenagers in tow for the first time, we went to Fajita Republic, a short walk from our room at the Eloisa. Their menu is varied, which allowed our kids to choose something other than the obvious. I’ve had my share of fajitas over the years, but their angus fajitas are the best I’ve had, a 10 out of 10. Their homemade tortillas have a lot to do with it. (Why can’t you find tortillas like that stateside?) It seems they give you a bit more than before, even without an appetizer I was stuffed. They come without any side dishes, but they really aren’t needed. It made 4 large fajitas, which was plenty. I don’t know why they always have so many waitstaff, but it does allow for impeccable service – our dinner for 4 was actually served by 4. Their margaritas aren’t bad either, and the food-to-peso ratio is better than a lot of places with more *atmosphere*, tho this is still one of my favorite after dark places. 4¾ stars

Saturday, we drove south, and had lunch at Chico’s. Yep, it’s pretty touristy, but the view and surroundings are nice, and the food I’ve had there has been pretty good, if not exactly cheap. I had the Mexican platter, which was good sized and tasty. Service was good, and it’s one of the better restaurants to walk around and see the sights. For new visitors, or if you’ve never been, a good place for drinks and appetizers, watching the locals diving off the rocks into the water (for tips.) I’d give it a *good*.

Later that night was at El Dorado, which we’d previously missed. I ended up having beef there (American, nice to see most good places now offering it) which was quite good, along with most everything else we had that night, but what I remember the most was the chips and salsas before dinner. They had a second salsa, pureed, which tasted more like refried beans than anything, and was excellent. I’d never had that with chips before, and if anyone has a recipe for something similar, I’d sure like to know. Service was just ok, ambience is great right on the beach, tho it rained and blew pretty good. Watch out for those palapa roofs, don’t sit too close to the side in wet weather, I got just a bit damp. My daughter was thrilled that she got served a Kahlua and cream after dinner (comped), understandable since she’s not yet 16. We let her have it, she has a bit of wine from time to time at home, and there actually wasn’t much Kahlua in them anyway. Overall, very good.

Sunday we had our first mis-step, going to El Set for brunch. We arrived late, around noon, and the buffet was almost cold. We hadn’t been there in 8 yrs, and it’s gone downhill since. We saw ppl arrive, get food, and end up leaving, which we should have done, but didn’t. They weren’t yet serving their lunch menu, yet they were *open* and seating paying customers. They only took 15% off, and this is one place we won’t go back to. Our very first dinner in PV was there, we walked over from the Camino Real, so it did have some special meaning for us.

We made up for it that night, our first meal at Barcelona Tapas. All I can say is, wow. Our 18 yr old son is only starting to shed some of his childhood suspicions about different foods, and even he says this was the best meal on our trip. A half order of Sangria, and 8 or 9 dishes. Their shrimp bisque was amazing, perhaps the best first course soup I’ve ever had. All the meat and shrimp dishes were outstanding, and the view on our rainy evening was incredible, the wet roofs and streets reflecting the city lights. Impeccable service, and fun atmosphere with the closely spaced tables. Excellent, can’t believe we’ve missed this before. Bring cash, tho.

Monday we ate at El Eden after our Los Veranos trip, and though I remember this as having decent offerings before, it looks like they have different owners. I don’t think I’ve ever had bad refried beans before in Mexico, but they managed to serve some to us. The setting by the river and cascades is refreshing, but the place just looked run down. They cater to tour buses, and the slow service we got when the place was empty was ominous for the tours that arrived after we did. We saw ppl wait almost 45 minutes for food, as we waited almost 20 mins after asking for the check. The only organized tour we ever took in PV was a *Sierra Madre Adventure*, the only jungle part of the entire trip being lunch in this restaurant. Previously ok to good, another place I’m not going back to.

That night was at Joe Jack’s, I had the fish and chips and a side of slaw. The fish was about as fresh as I’ve had, the batter was great, and fried to perfection, not as greasy as most. All very good, I can imagine this place will fill up in season, as the seating area on the roof is quite small. You only have street views, but with the open air, and colorful lights it was really enjoyable. We tried some of the house specialty cocktails, and though they tasted great, we both thought they really needed more booze, and seemed a bit watery, not enough zip to them. My wife asked for more tequila in her margarita, and even then we both agreed it still wasn’t quite right. You can’t go wrong with cerveza tho, and I finished my meal with a Pacifico. Overall, except for the drinks, very good.

Tuesday we ventured up to towards Punta de Mita, Playa Enclote, and returned to Rocio’s about the biggest, busiest place there, which isn’t really saying much. The area’s grown, but you’re still *out of town* there. They offer shrimp about any way you want it, and our waiter, when asked, said it’s best with garlic and butter. Done. They give you almost more than you can eat, and the prices are a bit less than in PV. The beach vendors are voracious tho, the worst we saw. They leave a bucket of cerveza by your table, quite tempting, and add any missing bottles to your tab. Not fancy, your feet are in the sand and the tables are plastic, but I give it a thumbs-up.

That night, another place we’ve missed before, we were at Las Carmelitas. Good thing we took a taxi, I’d have never found it on my own, as I’d been climbing above the south tunnel, the wrong one. We explored some interesting neighborhoods tho. The view from the edge of the terrace is indescribable, one of the best restaurant views anywhere, and a fantastic place to be, watching darkness fall over the city. The arrachera steak is particularly good, but for me it was impossible to entirely separate the food from the surroundings. The only thing missing was some live guitar music in the background, really quite magical at night, surrounded almost entirely by the pitch black jungle. Food was very good, overall experience, excellent.

There are several more places worthy of mention, but that’s for another day…

Ross

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:04 pm

A nummy read !
Thanks for posting.. :)

tojol57

Great report

Post by tojol57 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:14 pm

Excellent report Ross. thanks for all the stories and updates. this will make a lot of newcomers really understand why we all love Vallarta and all our special places we like to go to. thanks again...

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by travelbug_jp » Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:36 am

That was great, I really appreciate the candid reviews. I'll copy and paste some of it to my 2007 trip file!

Joyce

pdxbuff
PV Guru
PV Guru

Great post and thanks!

Post by pdxbuff » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:13 am

nm

shipwreakedmike
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by shipwreakedmike » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:28 pm

Great review Rossk !

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Lindo Mar

Post by Jennybean » Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:53 am

Sunday we had our first mis-step, going to El Set for brunch. We arrived late, around noon, and the buffet was almost cold. We hadn’t been there in 8 yrs, and it’s gone downhill since. We saw ppl arrive, get food, and end up leaving, which we should have done, but didn’t. They weren’t yet serving their lunch menu, yet they were *open* and seating paying customers. They only took 15% off, and this is one place we won’t go back to. Our very first dinner in PV was there, we walked over from the Camino Real, so it did have some special meaning for us.
Insider tip - next trip, go 100 paces to the front entrance of the Lindo Mar and brunch there. Superior on every level. It's a favourite of locals for after church, so get there before Mass lets out. You won't be disappointed.

rossk
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Re: Lindo Mar

Post by rossk » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:48 pm

Jennybean wrote:
Insider tip - next trip, go 100 paces to the front entrance of the Lindo Mar and brunch there. Superior on every level. It's a favourite of locals for after church, so get there before Mass lets out. You won't be disappointed.
Jennybean, that had been my intention, based mostly on comments here, and from you particularly, I believe. We drove up, and my wife, remembering our very first dinner in PV some years back at El Set, wanted to return. Oops.

At some point in our trip, she relented, and let me make the restaurant decisions for the most part. And for all of the great meals we had, I owe a debt of gratitude to many ppl, esp those right here, for their insight and advice. I can only try to return the favor with my reviews, not so much for the regulars, but for the newbies, as we all once were in Vallarta.

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Lo Siento

Post by Jennybean » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:59 pm

Oh sorry, I didn't realize you had taken my advice and were unlucky. :oops:

Maybe next time. It is most definitely worth it for brunch, but if you can't make it for brunch, lunch or dinner are lovely too. Sure can't beat that view, can you? :wink:

rossk
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by rossk » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:13 pm

We were unlucky cuz we DIDNT take your advice, and ended up going to El Set instead, but Diane came to trust my judgment pretty quickly. We had hoped to make it back to the Lindo Mar, but never made it. Way back, when we were planning this trip just for the two of us, we were on the verge of booking a room there. I still think its one of the best locations in town.

The second Sunday, the day we left, we considered the Lindo Mar, and the River Cafe for brunch. River Cafe won out.