barter

Report on your Puerto Vallarta trip, hotel, restaurant, tour, etc.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

rossk
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
barter

Post by rossk » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:59 pm

Most of us have engaged in price negotiations when purchasing things to bring back home. Interestingly, on our recent trip, it had a different twist to it.

We took the taxi to Yelapa for the day, and walked to the waterfall, stopping to have some cervezas at the restaurant there. On the way back down, we stopped at the rosewood shop, intending to pick up another piece. I got to talking to Javier, and he noticed my wristwatch, and so commented. It's nothing fancy, just a basic type I wear around the house on the weekends, when I don't want to wear a nice watch that might get broken doing chores, etc.

Apparently, he or someone he knew needed a watch, and I guess none of them were going to be making a trip into town for a new one. He asked if I would part with it, and in the end I made a fair trade for a rosewood vase, my watch and 50 pesos for the vase. We both got what we wanted, but additonally my kids, both PV first timers, had a chance to see true barter, unchanged thru the ages. Kind of a neat moment.

Ross

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:17 pm

A nice story
Thanks for sharing... :)

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by travelbug_jp » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:19 pm

I have to go back to Javier's on my next trip, I wonder if his friend needs another watch!!!
I love to barter I'm just not very good at it, never sure where to start and where to finish :?

Joyce

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:26 pm

I know what you mean Joyce I too like to barter and I know we are encouraged to ....I believe the vedors enjoy it as much as we do (or do they?)... one hates to start too low as the wages are so very low and most items are cheap to start with..

Any rule of thumb when bartering in Mexico??

One thing I did learn first trip fast was you do not go into an exclusive store and start bartering.. :) Flea Market..Yes..

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by travelbug_jp » Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:23 am

Someone told me that I should offer half of what they are asking and then to meet somewhere in between. I don't know if that's right or not but I also would like some feedback. Also, how does one know if the shopkeepers will or will not barter?

Joyce

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Art of Bartering

Post by Jennybean » Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:43 am

The general rule of thumb is that in stores you are not expected to barter, the prices are set. At the flea market or on the cuale, or on the beach, bartering is expected.

And yes, the general rule of thumb I follow is either to offer half the price quoted and start there, or I will sometimes cheat and ask my beach meseros (who are old friends) what the going rate is on something on the beach lately before I start the bartering process...just so I can get an idea of the retail markup. LOL

DELETED

Re: Art of Bartering

Post by DELETED » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:46 pm

DELETED

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:49 pm

Jennybean..Thank You..

In Ross's case the shop owner initiated the fun bartering experience
Maybe that will happen if I visit the Galeria Vallarta . :)

DonnaMark
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by DonnaMark » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:21 pm

Several years ago, we stayed at a condo on Los Muertos. The day was waning into another great sunset. We had an eye on one particular blanket all afternoon. As the merchant was packing up, I handed Donna a $10 dollar bill, and challenged her to make the deal. She ran down to the beach and after much exchange, she got it. The entire condo coktail crowd erupted into applause. Barter is fantastic.

bounce530
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by bounce530 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:37 pm

Some of the venders in the upstairs flea market do not like bartering. I was checking prices on address tiles, and asked one of the venders, how much, and then after the usual rally of prices back and forth, I told him it was still too much and started to walk off. He then called us "cheap Canadians" I have never even be to Canada. :lol: