PV and Plaza Pelicanos Day Seven

Report on your Puerto Vallarta trip, hotel, restaurant, tour, etc.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

sonofdob
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
PV and Plaza Pelicanos Day Seven

Post by sonofdob » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:13 pm

O.K., well here we are at Day Seven...our last full day in Mexico, although tomorrow we do not leave until 19:30 so we still have all day really.

Again this a.m. it is hot and sunny, but the resort is busy, there is activity everywhere. It is 08:00 and outside our room we can see that the pool is packed and every lounge chair is occupied. I am not exaggerating when I say there has to be 100 kids in and around the pool. If you wanted to go in the pool it would be tough to find an open spot and you would never get your floaty thingy in there. The bartenders are going to spend the day making kiddie drinks ha ha ha. Now this pool outside our room also has a small (20 foot diameter) kiddie pool that is adjacent to it, so you would expect that this would be the pool area of choice for families, so we're not surprised. The section one restaurant is full to capacity and probably has 20 people lined up waiting to get in. The change at the resort is amazing, it is almost as if we are at a different place. The staff already look tired. We opt for breakfast at section two and find that there are not huge crowds there. It is busier than it has been but you can still walk in and get a seat right away. The big groups of families seem to be content with section one and I imagine that it is just easier for them to not have to trek around the resort with the whole family in tow.

Breakfast is nice...selection is definitely greater now. We eat then change and grab our floaty things and head for the activity pool. We decide to have a look in on the adult pool and again it is deserted. Three guys from Calgary and two women who we have not met before. They are from San Francisco. We decide to try it one more time but sure enough...very warm water. Oh well. One of the women approaches us and asks if we brought the floaty things with us. We tell her no bought them about a block from here, 90 pesos each. She said she has been looking and cannot find any. We ask her when they are leaving and she says that they just arrived yesterday and are here for a week. So, we tell her if she wants ours she is welcome to them...just come see us tomorrow at about 16:00 in the activities pool and the only condition is that they in turn pass them on when they leave. We head over to the other pool and find that it is not crowded at all. All the usual suspects are present and the party gets under way.

It's a good day all around. While talking about liquor prices with soemone in the pool they mention that there is a chain of liquor stores called "Playa" that they found to have the best prices. We decide that we will lunch at section two and then hit the Playa store right outside the resort to see what's up. Bingo ! They have all that we are after and at prices better than we have see anywhere else. We stock up. On the way back we check in a little corner store type of place to check on chipotle sauces and Bingo...both Buffalo and El Yucatea are in stock...we buy what they have and head back to the resort. We drop our loot in the room and it's back to the pool. Here's a shot of the now famous floaty thingy.

We hang in and around the pool all afternoon. I have another cheeseburger. It appears we may see some of rain after all. It is still hot and sunny but there are clouds building over the Sierra Madres and it is clearly raining out past Mismaloya. Gradually you can see that is encroaching upon downtown. Well, gradually it gets to us and all of a sudden there is a bright lightning flash and huge thunder clap. Now, living on the west coast of Canada, thunder storms are rare, but one thing I know is that being in open swimming pool in one is not recommended. We think we will wait and see if it just passes or what. A few minutes later and even brighter flash and even bigger thunder clap. That's it for us...we get out and head for the room. We figure we'll shower and change and have a cocktail in the lobby bar before we go to the Fusion restaurant for dinner. Odd, we are the only ones getting out of the pool. Everyone seems oblivious to the lightning ? We get back over to section one and same thing. Pool is packed. By the time we get to the room the skies open up and it is a tropical deluge of rain. The thunder and lightning carry on as well.

We have a couple of throw away type cheap clear plastic rain ponchos, so we head over to section two for dinner. It is very nice in there and we are seated immediately. Although the actual food here was pretty good they do not have the same level of service that they had in the Italian on Wednesday. I choose a caesar salad with warmed scallops to start, chicken breast stuffed with goat cheese as a main and stuffed cannoli for dessert, Mickey gets the tortilla soup, a shrimp stuffed portabella mushroom and the same cannoli for dessert. Well, the soup is too spicy for Mickey, so we switch although I get to eat the scallops from the salad. The chicken Breast is very good as is the portabella dish. The cannoli rich and decadent as expected.

We decide to cruise the resort for a bit and have a few drinks. The pools are still packed. There a few people hanging out in the bars and the rain has stopped and it is clearing nicely. Tomorrow should be good.

We have a few drinks, wander back to section one...still buzzing with activity and have a few more cocktails on the patio.

Well, we have come to the end of our last full day in Mexico. Another great day...but still we are little sad at having to leave tomorrow.

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:49 pm

sonofdob..I have enjoyed all seven days of your vacation reports... :)

Nice touch adding the photos with your words...

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ellen » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:12 pm

I always wondered why you didn´t buy your liquor at La Playa. I thought maybe you had found it cheaper somewhere else but I never have.

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by travelbug_jp » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:32 pm

ellen wrote:I always wondered why you didn´t buy your liquor at La Playa. I thought maybe you had found it cheaper somewhere else but I never have.
I don't want to hijack this trip report but I just want to know where La Playa is. I bought most of our liquor at the grocery stores last year so if there is a cheaper place I would appreciate it. Thanks.
Joyce

sonofdob
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by sonofdob » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:18 pm

travelbug_jp...they seem to be all over...I bought at the one right across the street (south) from the Plaza Pelicanos...but I also saw one downtown...some one who is in PV can probably direct you to the closest one for you...sonofdob.

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:31 pm

Joyce, there is one not all that far from the condo. It is like a block or two from Blue Shrimp/deSantos to the south on the same side of the street. We usually check all of them out as we are out and about. We can find my Jamaican rum there for around $12.50 - $14 USD per bottle compared to $10+ back home.

great post sonofdob. good times no doubt.

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ellen » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:42 pm

travelbug_jp wrote:
ellen wrote:I always wondered why you didn´t buy your liquor at La Playa. I thought maybe you had found it cheaper somewhere else but I never have.
I don't want to hijack this trip report but I just want to know where La Playa is. I bought most of our liquor at the grocery stores last year so if there is a cheaper place I would appreciate it. Thanks.
Joyce
Oops. I guess that means I was falling down on the job last year. It never occured to me that you didn´t see it when you walked by..........

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by travelbug_jp » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:48 pm

ellen wrote:
travelbug_jp wrote:
Joyce
Oops. I guess that means I was falling down on the job last year. It never occured to me that you didn´t see it when you walked by..........
If you were falling down on the job then you must have been because of the cheap booze you were drinking!
I probably did see it but just didn't pay attention to the signage. I won't miss it this time around!

Joyce