PV October 2007

Report on your Puerto Vallarta trip, hotel, restaurant, tour, etc.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle
PV October 2007

Post by Jennybean » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:38 pm

My trip report, of a sort...I prefer easy fact-based stuff that people can pull info from, so here goes:

Flights: US Airways Calgary via Phoenix. All were on time, none were oversold (but were definitely more than half full for off season), and everything arrived intact. First time since the building of the new jetways I got to deplane onto one, and I was through immigration, had my luggage, and was in a taxi inside of 15 minutes.

PVR: airport continues to undergo renovations and changes. The timeshare gauntlet has been broken down into two rooms separated by glass doors, so BE AWARE. I walked straight through without acknowledging or stopping, and nobody even tried to get in my way save one girl near the end. She hustled out of my way in a hurry when she saw I wasn't stopping or wavering my course, so it was either get run down by a redhead on a mission to get a taxi with a big heavy suitcase, or get out of the way. On the departures level they are renovating the restaurant/bar closest to the stairwell to the gates, but others were open and serving. Plenty of choices still, and the Carls Jr. that wasn't open yet in August is open now. Really good milkshakes, btw.

Taxis: A hint - if you need a taxi from the airport, use the booth on the left. They actually let you pay at the booth and you get a ticket. (this is AeroMovil IIRC). All taxi fares were in line with what I was expecting, and only once was there a discrepancy - which was rectified immediately when I walked away from the cab and went to another one.

Hotel: I stayed at a small hotel/condo complex on the south side, Brisas del Mar. A very decent budget offering ($60US a night including taxes for one bedroom suites w/ full kitchen, full oceanfront view, all year long except Xmas/New Years). The manager is a friend and a really great guy. I also discovered an old friend bought one of the privately owned condos below the pool deck (it's gorgeous!!!) and now have another option to rent if I need one.

I utilized the pool deck to host a charity cocktail party we held on October 30th to benefit New Life Mexico (-http://www.newlifemexico.com/). Several friends and special guests enjoyed margaritas, cervezas, some fantastic snacks (donated by a small anonymous group amongst our friends) and a beautiful sunset...and raised a substantial amount of money and materials (toiletries and such) for the charity. Philippa Vernon-Powell, the director, came and provided those in attendance with a lot of great information. If you wish to know more, go to the link above. We will continue to support this group at future events and throughout the year.

Activities: Almost nada this trip. I've had no substantial time off since October of 2005 due to work and school, so this trip was total down time. I read, beached, ate, drank, slept...lather, rinse, repeat. I did go fishing though on the Dos Amigos with 6 friends - we all had the fishing gods on our side that day and I was lucky enough myself to bring in a 15-20lb dorado. At the end of the day we probably had 30 or 40 lbs of fish (6 in total, we stayed within our license limits!) which wound up either in fresh ceviche or as filets which went to my friend's neighbours and bar staff...who were VERY appreciative.

Halloween found us at happy hour, CYCs, handing out candy to little ghouls and goblins. I supplemented the bags of Smarties I took with a large bag of Mexican style Cheetos I picked up at Rizo's for almost nothing, so I wouldn't run out.

Now for the food...I only ate at the same place twice in 12 days and unfortunately missed a couple of the usual haunts, but here goes...places I did eat:

Fajita Republic (on Badillo)
Cafe Bohemio x2
La Tia Catrina
Eat Me (yes, I swear that's the name of it)
Langostinos
Tony's La Choza
Mariscos Tinos
La Piazzetta
Vista Grill
Pipis

Best meal of the trip, hands down - Vista Grill. If you haven't been, go. Frankly I didn't find their prices to be any more outrageous than some tourist joints in town that don't have a 10th of the ambience, choice, or quality of service and food. Not to mention it is without a doubt one of the most romantic and beautiful venues in the whole city; it was the only time in the whole trip I regretted not taking along a significant other to share it with. This restaurant deserves every kudo it gets.

Shopping: didn't do much this trip, some gifts for friends back home and hit the new Soriana near the Maritime Terminal for stocking the fridge. For you tequila aficionados - Soriana had the best price I found in town on Don Julio reposado, 319 pesos a bottle...over 100 pesos cheaper than the duty free at the airport, and at the Super La Playa on Olas Altas.

Exchange: The CAD is going great guns against the USD right now, however it was still hard to find cambios that were recognizing it on par or better. You had to hunt around. For the most part though, cambios on the south side were exchanging at 10.3-10.5 to the CAD and 10.4 to the USD. I was getting 10.9-11.0 through the ATM. First trip in almost 10 years that I took home money, and not through uber-budgeting. Compared to trips past for us Canucks, everything seems much cheaper (of course, when the dollar is double what it was 10 years ago when I was getting 5.4 pesos to the loonie, that's not hard to accomplish).

I did get to meet some great people this trip and put faces to names - Margaret, Philippa, Ellen, Renee - a pleasure! Next October, lunch!

Overall it was a restful vacation in the company of wonderful friends I wish I got to see more than once a year.

Contessa
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by Contessa » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:54 pm

Great report Jennifer! We probably crossed paths without knowing... we were there Oct 27-Nov 3. We ate a a few of the same restaurants, however missed Vista Grill... so will definately put that on the list for December when we are back. We got the chance to meet with Ellen and enjoyed a nice evening and dinner with her at Tia Catrina. She mentioned she had been out for brunch and met a bunch of "board" people. I brought my mom and dad down with me this time, so I was busy showing them the sights of PV as it was their first trip. They loved it of course.

Next time! Glad you enjoyed your restful vacation in wonderful PV!

Sandra

sonofdob
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by sonofdob » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:34 pm

Jennybean...thanks for the report...great info...319 pesos for Don Julio, wow, was that Anjeo or just Blanco and Reposado ? The "just chillin" get aways are the best in my books...sonofdob.

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Trip

Post by Jennybean » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:37 pm

If you were at CYC on Halloween night, we were the ginormous table of about 25-30 over to the south end. The ones with the skeleton hanging over the table. LOL

You absolutely need to go to VG in December. Take the hubby/boyfriend/Mexican Boyfriend ( :wink: ), whomever...go for sunset, stay for the food. Absolutely fantastic. It's a splurge dinner, but SO worth it. ...and I only say splurge if you're comparing it to many other places. My dinner (a fabulous chilled melon & prosciutto soup with poblano peppers, chicken breast stuffed with wild mushrooms on a bed of lentil with cilantro and lime, 2 drinks and a coffee was about $50 with tip) IMO was very reasonable for what I got, and the service we received. I would have paid double that for half the meal at home.

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by travelbug_jp » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:43 pm

Thanks Jennybean and Sandra
I have a very serious case of PV envy right now and don't know if you ladies made it better or worse! :wink: It was doing that rain/snow thing here today and I kept telling myself ... Jan.16, Jan.16
Jenny that VG meal sounds amazing, we have not been there yet but will have to make sure we get there next time.

Joyce

Contessa
PV Guru
PV Guru

Re: Trip

Post by Contessa » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:46 am

Jennybean wrote:If you were at CYC on Halloween night, we were the ginormous table of about 25-30 over to the south end. The ones with the skeleton hanging over the table. LOL

You absolutely need to go to VG in December. Take the hubby/boyfriend/Mexican Boyfriend ( :wink: ), whomever...go for sunset, stay for the food. Absolutely fantastic. It's a splurge dinner, but SO worth it. ...and I only say splurge if you're comparing it to many other places. My dinner (a fabulous chilled melon & prosciutto soup with poblano peppers, chicken breast stuffed with wild mushrooms on a bed of lentil with cilantro and lime, 2 drinks and a coffee was about $50 with tip) IMO was very reasonable for what I got, and the service we received. I would have paid double that for half the meal at home.
We walked by CYC on Halloween Night, but headed for an early dinner at Piazetta and handed out candy there. We had a late night the night before at El Panorama, and a wee bit too many libations! :) :D :lol: :roll: :? :(

My hubby would love to accompany me to VG one night in December... and I'm really excited to be in PV for the street party on New Years Eve! I think Sol is planning a nice dinner at Bohemia on NY's , and we're making reservations to go there. Should be fun! I'm packing my tiara and boa!!! Contessa royalty.. LOL.

Joyce... January 16th will be here before you know it!!!

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

DJ

Post by Jennybean » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:06 am

sonofdob wrote:Jennybean...thanks for the report...great info...319 pesos for Don Julio, wow, was that Anjeo or just Blanco and Reposado ? The "just chillin" get aways are the best in my books...sonofdob.
That was for the reposado. I believe the anejo was just over 450 pesos, which is still pretty darned good. I'm partial to the reposado and find it to be just as smooth as the anejo in DJ's case.

chance
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Don Julio

Post by chance » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:14 pm

We just got back and found Don Julio Reposado at Mega store just down from the Canto del Sol for 280 peso's a bottle.

tandr2
PV Master
PV Master

Post by tandr2 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:23 pm

How did you like the CDS Chance?

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:31 pm

DELETED