Nov. 24th to Dec. 1 Hola Hotel

Report on your Puerto Vallarta trip, hotel, restaurant, tour, etc.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

dgwick
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
Nov. 24th to Dec. 1 Hola Hotel

Post by dgwick » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:26 am

We had an excellent time once again. We were kind of worried about the hotel, but took the Trip Advisor website grumblings with a grain of salt.
Is the Hola a 4 star, no. But it definitely isn't a bad hotel either. We'd have no problem staying there again, especially for the discount rate we got it at. As with every hotel, there are plus and minuses, but in reality it's YOU that makes your vacation what it is.
The hotel has a main building and two side wings, the main building has all rooms with an ocean view. The higher the floor, the better the view. We had an 8th floor room and couldn't complain about the room, or the view. Food was average, nothing spectacular, but we didn't go to the al a carte restaurants. But we didn't go for the meals, we had breakfasts and lunches at the hotel. Most of our dinners were out on the town.
The rooms were spacious and clean. Air conditioning worked well. The beds were hard, but didn't seem to stop us from getting a good night's sleep.
The staff at the hotel, like everywhere else in PV is awesome. They really go out of their way to ensure that your trip is good. The beach area is nice, they have an area that is roped off to help shield you from the beach vendors.....you definitely know when the hotel security isn't standing around. But none of the vendors were ever a bother, no gracias worked fine. They have staff on the beach to assist you in getting a lounger or chair set up where ever you want, with umbrella, chair pad, tables, etc. Whatever you want. They also have a wait staff at the beach area. There's a lunch restaurant right on the beach that served some nice lunches while we were there. One of the nice touches that was provided, was the ice cold wash clothe that were brought around each afternoon. A cooler full of chilled cloths would be offered up to each and every guest basking in the sunshine.
The Hotel is going through a transformation and maybe some of the negative reviews were from before, or perhaps the growing pains of changes.
The hotel had a dinner one evening where they served dinner at the beach and had entertainment.
Overall, the hotel is nice. Location is great, cabs and city buses are close by.
You can't help but have a good trip in Puerto Vallarta. We are looking forward to our next trip, February/March 2008.
Some pictures here:
http://good-times.webshots.com/album/561708198VRZusE

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by travelbug_jp » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:41 am

Great photos D & G. Except for the one with all the snow in it. I didn't really like that one! My sister and her husband stayed at the Hola last year and they enjoyed it as well. Thanks for taking the time to post your report. When are you going to be there in Feb? We'll be there as well at that time.
Joyce

palapa_gal
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by palapa_gal » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:47 am

Nice report and pic's. Thanks for sharing.

I usually stay next door at the Villa del Palmar and have never noticed how big the Hola's beach area is until I saw your pictures. I always thought that they had this really really small area. Just goes to show you how much I pay attention.

dgwick
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by dgwick » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:55 pm

The snow was our "welcome home". Flew into Vancouver and it was snowing, got back to the island the next morning to about a foot of snow :shock:
We are looking to head back around the 23rd or 27th of February right now.
We were pleasantly surprised by the beach as well, we were kind of used to what there is at the Canto. Which we really didn't mind that much.
Thanks

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:14 pm

Always take the grumblings on Trip Advisor with a grain of salt.. :)

Glad you had a good trip dgwick...

I enjoyed all your photos and your review on the Hola...

This Fall I had noticed very good deals out of Calgary to the Hola Resort..

Lucky Y :)U having another trip planned ...

northmb
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by northmb » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:54 am

Great report - glad to hear that you had a good time! Loved the pictures - warmed me up after coming in from minus 31 temps today!

See you in Feb.!!

Sherry & Des

Winnipeg gal 1
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by Winnipeg gal 1 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:19 pm

Great pictures & report :)

MartyC
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by MartyC » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:28 pm

Nice report, nice pics. Thanks for sharing.

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Hola Vacation

Post by smitty » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:49 pm

Nice report and great attitude . :) Hola (formerly Qualton ) was where we used to always book . We used to enjoy the eucalyptus steam room - would that ever clear the sinuses !

IheartMexico
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by IheartMexico » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:05 pm

I LOVED staying at Hola. I think I made more friends there (between staff and other guests) than in all my other PV trips combined.