Whales in the Bay

Report on your Puerto Vallarta trip, hotel, restaurant, tour, etc.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

helenf
PV Guru
PV Guru
Whales in the Bay

Post by helenf » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:16 pm

Well, yesterday we were sitting at the bar here at the Buenaventura, when I happened to see something in the water out of the corner of my eye. It was a mama whale with her baby. They were really close to the shore. I have to say that it is one of the most beautiful sights I have ever witnessed. I had goosebumps from witnessing the beauty of it all. I screamed "Whale" and everyone ran to the beach to take pictures. Stupid me just kept clicking away on my camera and I didn't even get a picture of her while she jumped up for air. Dagnabit what a p??? off. Now my eyes are going to be glued to the water today looking for some more so that I can actually get a picture.

We rented a car yesterday and we travelled to Sayulita, San Francisco, and De los Marcos. Very cool places. Sayulita is definitely a surfers paradise and we would definitely consider staying there on a future trip. The roads North of PV are great. As a matter of fact the 200 highway is in better shape than many smaller highways in Alberta.

The weather here is still quite a bit cooler than I'm used to down here. I still have no color as we've been cruising around in a car, etc. Today I plan to spend some time in the sun. :D

We had our usual visit to Coco Tropical a few nights ago. We were the only people dining there until just before we were finished, then two other couples showed up. I couldn't believe how quiet it was. Dinner was great as usual. We had a pastrie florentine for a starter, yummy and we both had a NY steak for our entree. Doug wanted lamb, but unfortunately they didn't have any that evening.

Tomorrow night we plan to dine at El Palomar de los Gonzales. I'm really looking forward to that (as always).

The Buenaventura had Santa here on Christmas eve and again yesterday morning. He arrived on a ten speed bike (hee hee). Santa in Mexico is very, very skinny. :wink: We had turkey dinner with all the fixings on Christmas Eve and it really was quite good. There really wasn't any feeling that it was Christmas Day yesterday, but it certainly was a great day anyways.

Well, I must get down to the beach so that I can look for our friend the whale.

Cheers,

Helen

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Helen And Doug's Adventure

Post by smitty » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:26 am

How very fortunate to be able to spot the Whales ! That is a memory that will last forever . I can envision everyone running to get photos . Santa on a ten speed ? :) No wonder he has slimmed down !
Thanks for the updates Helen - definitely a good read . :)

Winnipeg gal 1
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by Winnipeg gal 1 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:26 pm

Sounds like you're having a wonderful time.How exciting to see Mama whale & her baby :)

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:40 pm

Hi Helen thinking of you down in Mexico... :)
Nice story about the whale...sorry you did not get a pic but you were lucky to have seen one and the babe .... like Jimbo said the memory will last forever..

Did you sit on santa's lap :) :P

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by travelbug_jp » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:07 am

I'm thinking of doing one of those whale watching tours this time around. I would love to see the beauty of that kind of nature with my own eyes, instead of on tv.

Joyce

northmb
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by northmb » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:06 pm

Joyce - there is nothing like seeing the whales in their own habitat. I know it's not quite the same - but Des and I saw the belugas in Churchill this past summer. I was amazed at the numbers - they were everywhere! We just sat in our little boat and watched them play - close enough that you could reach out and touch them - if you were brave enough!! It is absolutley breathtaking!

Helen - it is a memory that you will always remember - and I hope you get the chance to get a picture!

Sherry

sunlover
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by sunlover » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:53 am

Haven't been reading the board much since we were in Mexico in Nov. but your report brought back great memories. We also had a glimpse of two whales, they only frolicked for a very short while but were seen by a lot of people. I did see the famous dive with the tail in the air...gorgeous.

We also stayed at the Buenaventura. Great staff, renovations were happening but SO WHAT!

I agree with you about Sayulita, gorgeous.

This Nov. we went to Rincon de Guayabitos. Great Mexican culture and a wonderful beach. Had the best shrimp on a stick ever! Can't wait for Nov to arrive once again. :D

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:03 pm

DELETED

mike23
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

whales

Post by mike23 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:02 pm

Yes it is a fantastic sight. Last year my friend and I stayed at the Rosita in Puerta Vallarta. Every morning between 7 and 7:30 we could see the whales about 100 yards out form our balcony. Cant wait to go back in 2009 to see it again. I plan on staying at the same location again. Will be great.