Report Arived Christmas Day

Report on your Puerto Vallarta trip, hotel, restaurant, tour, etc.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

mhahn
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
Report Arived Christmas Day

Post by mhahn » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:54 am

Departed from Portalnd, OR on Christmas Day, arrived PV about 4pm, the direct flight is great! Took a taxi for $22.00US to the Tropicana for our first 5 ngihts. Staying in this area was new to us, the hotel is very clean, we had a Junior Suite which we did not really need but that is all I could reserve months in advance. Two double beds (yuk) a little kitchenette, coffee pot but no coffee or filters provided. There was not even a dishrag provided. We made use of the refrigerator for ice and snacks. There is no hair dryer provided. The rate was approx. $140.00 per night. We enjoyed dinners at Andales, Mama Mia's, , Kaiser Maximillian and one above a coffee shop/deli 3 blocks north of the Tropicana (bananna something) owned by an American lady by the name of Debby. We ate a very few times at the hotel, the food was alright but only ate there for convenience. There is a coffee shop called the Coffee Cup within 4 blocks of the Tropicana which had excellent coffee, espresso, etc. and fresh made breakfast snadwiches and pastries (excellent). We found a fabulous Martini bar on Olas Altas, a couple blocks from Andales on the opposite side of the street. There is a book exchange store, Page in The Sun, a block from the Santa Barbara Theatre which was great for keeping a good supply of books and they have a deli also which makes good breakfast and lunches for a very reasonable price. We really wanted to eat at Cafe de Olla but the lines were always long, the aroma of the food cooking was over the top! Unfortunaltely the weather was pretty cool the first 5 days with little sun. We headed to our tried and true Resort the Golden Crown Paradise for our umteenth viist on Dec, 30th. Must say it is awesome to be greeted by name and treated like royalty. Got checked into our suite by1:30pm, weather had finally started heating up. We enjoyed New Yeras Eve with many many people over at the Nitro Nighclub, a buffet dinner was provided with pretty darn good entertainment. A New Years Mexican tradition is "twelve grapes" you are given 12 grapes wrapped up and with each grape you eat you make a wish for the New Year.
We had sea bass for 4 dinners cooked four differennt ways, all delicious. We had dinners at Salvadors, Paradise REstaurant and the French restaurant at the adjoining resort. The newly opened Mexican restaurant serves B,L and Dinner, there menu does not change. For lunch there is sea bass wrapped in bananna leaves that I highly recommend.
We had no issue with our room and its cleanliness.
The bars as always were pouring good drinks.
On New Years Day the activity staff announced that the no saving chairs policy was in effect, they did in fact collect any towels left unattended, this practice continued until we left on Jan 6th, which I think is good. Too many people would stake out "their places" and then be gone for hours on a tour or downtown.
We enjoyed several massages at Angie's Day Spa, 3 blocks from the GCP.
The first 5 days we explored, the romantic zone and learned are way around. The remainder was spent finally soaking up some warm sunshine and meeting great people.

The airport remodel has been completed, the biggest change is the departure gates, all now in a brand new much larger area. Jan 6th was a very busy travel day and the lines were very very very long at the airport, but we had no major problems and had an uneventful flight home to cold and icy conditions.

We are fortunate to be returning to PV the end of February (thats what we get for retirning while we can still go go go)

Another great trip, any questions, just ask.

Winnipeg gal 1
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by Winnipeg gal 1 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:11 pm

I enjoyed reading your report.It's always nice to try out new places,even if it is only to discover you like the old ones best :) Will you be staying at GCP again in Feb?

mhahn
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by mhahn » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:05 pm

We are renting a condo at the Holiday Inn for two weeks, this will be a really new experience for us!

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:18 am

I'm renting a condo at the Holiday Inn as well - February 22-March 1st!

Love to stock up on some local groceries. Looking forward to a toasted tomato sandwich while I'm sitting on my balcony looking at the ocean!

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:44 pm

thanks for the update mhahn.... lorrie and i just can't venture off yet with how the GCP treats us when we are home... but i am sure there will come a day that we will try a new place or rent one of the condo's by ellen and david, or down in old town... but right now the GCP will be our choice of home away from home....

chrisnick, we leave on the 23rd, and we are just north of the Holiday Inn at the GCP... we may have to try and find you on the beach before we leave to at least introduce ourselves to each other....

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:33 pm

Sounds good to me. I'm hoping to hook up with Joyce as well. My family flight leaves at midnight so they'll probably leave for the airport by 9 at the latest. I'll be looking for somewhere to go on the 22nd at night and wandering around on the beach on the 23rd. Definitely want to try out one of those tanning treatments!

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:39 pm

chrisnick wrote:Sounds good to me. I'm hoping to hook up with Joyce as well. My family flight leaves at midnight so they'll probably leave for the airport by 9 at the latest. I'll be looking for somewhere to go on the 22nd at night and wandering around on the beach on the 23rd. Definitely want to try out one of those tanning treatments!
worse case scenario chrisnick... we can meet up down at Andale's as well... where are you and the family staying the first week then.... we have a group meeting set up for Burro's on Sunday night the 10th at 530 pm... bring the family to town and meet up with us then as well....

have a great time...

JROJEFF
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by JROJEFF » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:51 pm

sounds like a meet up at andales on the 22 ,Im in

JROJEFF
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by JROJEFF » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:00 pm

Chris if you are just wandering the beach on the 23rd stop by el pescador hotel,we can party together-on the 24th there is a drunken horse back ride get together that JR is doing if anybody is interested,I am meeting up at cafe roma or que pasa, check out the meet up on saturdays at madison south for more details (old lazy lizard) down from cyc ( :lol: good job jeff -thx ellen)