Trip report - Zona Romantica Dec 22- Jan 5

Report on your Puerto Vallarta trip, hotel, restaurant, tour, etc.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Contessa
PV Guru
PV Guru
Trip report - Zona Romantica Dec 22- Jan 5

Post by Contessa » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:50 am

Our journey started out on a sad note. Rick's dad passed away a week before we left; the service was on Friday and we flew out on Saturday. We were both still numb. He had been ill for some time, but it's never easy when it happens.

Arrived in PV at night, which is a first for us. We usually take an early morning flight, but this time Air Canada direct flew out in the afternoon. The airport expansion is wonderful, no bus to the terminal...very slick. Cab to the condo, unpacked.... took a walk along the malecon, stopped for a drink at Burros, and then headed to bed. Up early the next morning to.... of all things... cloudy skies! Yikes, not the PV I'm used to. It was a week of clouds, with only one sunset ... and very cool to PV standards. The locals were bundled in ski jackets and long pants.

We used the week to get some good walking in, since the temperature didn't deter us. We walked the south beach to El Set one day, and walked the road back. We had a beer at Lindo Mar.... very nice spot. The next day we walked to Canto Del Sol as I promised my daughter I would check out the resort as her and her boyfriend will be going their late January. The only part of the beach I was not feeling sure of was between Villa Premier north. There is am empty lot, and a rocky beach... and some rather unsavory characters. I wouldn't recommend this area at night. We lunched at La Barracuda right next to the Buenaventura... it was so good. We tried to get back there for dinner, but just didn't make it. Have their seafood casserole.... yummy! They even provided shawls, as the wind was cool and it's open air. Nice touch.

We walked up to visit Casa Isabel as I've heard so much about it. It is an amazing place, one we will definately try one year. The views are spectacular. We dined at neighbouring Vista Grill, and hands down, our best meal in PV. Wonderful service, the atmosphere is so romantic and it is such a classy place. Go early to enjoy the view. They had patio heaters on the top deck... but the weather had improved and they weren't needed. One table requested theirs lit, mostly nationals... us Canadians don't feel the cold I guess...

New Years we spent at Cafe Bohemia... dinner was okay... I never really expect much on New Years for "sittings" dinners... it's tough to get 75 drinks out etc at the same time. Sol was entertaining as always...and we finished in time to head to the beach where all the action was. The fireworks were amazing. They must've went on for an hour! The malecon was completed packed. Families, tourists... everyone enjoying themselves.

We rented Alberto's panga for a day, and had an amazing time. The view from the water was fantastic. The sun was shining, and we all had a great time. The sea life was awesome to see close up. The Mantaray's and turtles especially impressive!

We made a bus trip out to Bucerias for a long walk on that wonderful beach. We had lunch at Karen's Place which was great. She was busy setting up for an evening wedding... looks like she does a great job for those brides out there looking for a romantic setting for a beach wedding. We love Bucerias... such an eclectic mix of art, local and gringo.

We spent another bus ride to Sayulita to catch some surf. It was very busy in Sayulita. Some of us rented surf boards and had a great day. The traffic on the way back was pretty bad...but it was worth the trip.

We dined at worth noting, Tia Catrina, Fajita Republic, Barcelona Tapas, Cafe de Olla, El Brujo, Vista Grill, and Mano Mano.. a very cute hole in the wall Italian place that served such great food. No liquor license, hoping he'll be able to afford soon. We also did take out from A Taste of Italy, right next to Daicari Dicks...the chicken parmesan was delicious! We also bought roasted chicken from the Pollo grill right across from Rizo's... delicious with roasted red potatoes, peppers, salsa and rice.

My hubby must've cooked up 4 kilos of prawn tails while there... he loved going to the fish market in the morning to get his supply. He had a route... Paris Bakery, for chocolate croissants (to die for!) , baguette, then to the fish market for 1/2 kilo of prawn tails. Garlic, butter, white wine.... crusty bread... YUMMY. We lunched a few times on them. Our condo was very well stocked, and an oceanfront view made for the best el fresco dining. The restaurant downstairs from our condo would make us take out guacamole and salsa... so good.

We watched whales in the bay, very close to shore. Amazing site! Also saw Flying Fish jumping like crazy around a lone kayaker... i'm sure they were impressed! Apparently the Dorado chase the Flying Fish. They look like mini Manta's...

I came down with a virus the second to last day of our vacation, and am just now up and out of bed. My doctor put me on antibiotics for the secondary sinus infection, but the rest is viral. Nasty. A lot of people were sick while we were there. The Influenza Virus takes no mercy.

All in all we really enjoyed our two weeks in paradise. Our next visit to Mexico is going to be Huatulco. Six couples...Barcelo Huatulco..sounds good to me.

Next fall, it's my milestone birthday. My wonderful husband has rented the wonderful 2 bedroom condo in our building and I'm planning a "girls week" in PV. My best friend turns 50 two weeks before me, so we'll both be celebrating. The condo has beds for 7 people... 7 perimenopausal women in PV.... YIKES! Fall is actually my favorite time to be in PV. Early November to mid December is prime. The temperature is warm and lovely, and the crowds aren't there yet. It's all good.

Of all the places I've travelled in Mexico, PV holds a special place. The people are so warm and inviting, and each year I try and bring a little more of that home with me. Enjoy your trip!!

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ellen » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:09 am

Nice trip report, Sandra. I'm sorry we couldn't be there at the same time as you. This was the first New Years in awhile that we weren't in Vallarta and I really missed it but am glad you liked it, too.
Ellen

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:02 am

Contessa I an so sorry about your Father in Law's passing.. I can understand how you both felt.. The evening we arrived in Mexico we found out our brother in law had passed away..
I also am sorry you have been ill..I too have heard that the virus going around is a nasty one..Get well soon..
As for the weather one can never know how it will be...
Looks like you were still able to have many good times on your vacation..
Thanks for taking the time to give us this report.. :)

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

TR

Post by Jennybean » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:58 am

My sympathies on the passing of your father in law. I'm glad you found time to heal and reflect.
We dined at neighbouring Vista Grill, and hands down, our best meal in PV.
Yay! Score one for Jen! I love it when my recommendations hit the mark. How about those cheese filled warm rolls, huh? :wink:

Contessa
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by Contessa » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:07 am

Yes yes... the cheese filled rolls... how could I forget..they were SO good. Thanks so much Jen for the tip... you were so right, the Vista Grill has to be the most romantic in all of PV! From the entrance to the front desk, then up the beautiful stairway to the open air terrace...all so beautiful. We walked in and Diana Krall was playing in the background... and she is my favorite jazz singer... the candles were glowing, the tables so perfectly dressed. Oscar our waiter was very attentive. Love the little flashlights to read the menus... We had a delicious bottle of wine... I had the snapper, my hubby the scallops. We finished the evening with a stroll on the malecon, stopping at the cake table for a slice of flan. We sat dangling our legs over the seawall, watched the pole acrobats... eating the most delicious flan. A perfect evening in paradise.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:13 am

Contessa,

Sorry to hear of your sad news, glad you got to still go to PV, it is a special place to go and heal. I was happy to hear you finally made it out on the boat and that you enjoyed yourselves (the weather this year has been really strange).

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by travelbug_jp » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:30 am

Sandra, thank you for taking the time to post your report. I really enjoyed it and I'm glad that despite the weather you were still able to enjoy your holiday.
Fred and I send our sincerest condolensces to you and Rick on the passing of Rick's father.
The Vista Grill sounds beautiful, we will have dinner with Sylvia and Mark when we are all there, so this sounds like a good place. What do you think Sylvia? :)
Your girls week birthday celebration sounds like fun too! Enjoy! Thanks again for the great trip report.

Joyce

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:39 pm

Top notch report Sandra... you know you have Lorrie's and my thoughts and prayers too with the passing of your father in law...

take care of yourself and your family...

Winnipeg gal 1
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by Winnipeg gal 1 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:07 pm

Sorry to hear about the loss of your Father in law.Glad to hear you had a good time.I enjoyed reading your report.
Joyce,that sounds wonderful :)

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

VG

Post by Jennybean » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:31 am

I've had that snapper twice, it's lovely. Next time I'm trying the seared ahi tuna...a friend had it in November and it was absolute perfection. Just melt in your mouth, perfectly cooked.

The stuffed chicken is great too. Heck, it's ALL good. Makes me wish I was there right now - will you guys have a drink for me at least? :lol:

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by travelbug_jp » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:05 am

"will you guys have a drink for me at least?"

What? Just the one? :wink:

Joyce

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Hee

Post by Jennybean » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:24 pm

Well, you certainly have my permission to be the excuse to have lots more ("we were just toasting Jen! *hic*").

Enjoy, ladies! :wink: