Holiday Inn Trip Report

Report on your Puerto Vallarta trip, hotel, restaurant, tour, etc.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Chevy Man
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
Holiday Inn Trip Report

Post by Chevy Man » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:38 pm

Stayed at the Holiday Inn Jan. 12 thru the 19th. Temps were in the low to mid 70's. Burgers in the hut were especially good this year. Only change from last year was the smaller drink size so I changed to cerveza. I don't know if the happy hours were real or not at the pool but for a $1 tip each trip I mostly got 2 for 1 from Raphael and Enrique.

Celebrated my 55th birthday with Canadiens that we met last year that are from Prince George and Campbell River. Also met some nice people from Winnipeg.

There is a vendor there on Tuesdays and Fridays that paints picturesque paintings of PV. The thing is he uses nothing other than his finger and fingernail. Got to see it to believe the job he does. Bought three to bring back home, (only 100 pesos each). Supposed to take two days to dry but I found out at home a week later that it wasn't quite dry yet. Be careful if you buy one.

It was a great relaxing trip, got plenty of sun, made some new friends, learned more about PV, what else can you ask for? :)

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Re: Holiday Inn Trip Report

Post by Plus4 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:40 am

Quote:
It was a great relaxing trip, got plenty of sun, made some new friends, learned more about PV, what else can you ask for? :)

When on vacation..Nada... :)
Happy belated BDay Chevy Man

Winnipeg gal 1
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by Winnipeg gal 1 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:14 pm

Sounds like a great time.I wonder if the Campbell River gang was the same ones we met last year in Feb.
Happy Belated B-day <:-)-

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:46 pm

happy belate birthday to you as well... good times had by all... we leave in 10 days... can't wait to get down there .....

tandr2
PV Master
PV Master

Post by tandr2 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:03 pm

I have more of those paintings than I can handle...I think last count was 10 or so. Plus the kids each have one of their own. One artist we found was doing the small tiles - they are 1/4 the size of the big ones they do - I like them all.

Glad to hear you had a good time. :)

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:26 am

I'm staying at the condos at Holiday Inn February 22nd-February 29th. We are not going to go AL. What are the drink prices like? Specialty drinks? Premium liquor (Absolute vodka)? We plan on being all over the place and thats why we are not buying the AL option.

Chevy Man
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Holiday Inn

Post by Chevy Man » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:57 pm

We did not go AI either. Drinks around the pool were 35 pesos for beer and 40 or 50 for mixed drinks. Don't know what premium liquors they have, basically had the cerveza. Once I tipped the pool waiters, ( Raphael or Enrique) a dollar, I generally got two for 1. We have been there two years in a row and enjoyed every minute of it. Have fun!

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:19 pm

thanks for the tip! Thats what I'll do. One more thing, did you tip in pesos or american dollars?

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Drinks - Another Option

Post by smitty » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:09 pm

Go across the street walk down a block and go into the Gigante - buy a cheap styrofoam cooler - get your booze and mix at competitive prices - use free hotel ice - go to the pool or beach and laugh at the suckers paying for cheap drinks .

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:08 pm

Oh yea!! Planning that! My girlfriend is bringing a big drink cooler so we can mix up a big batch of fruity drinks to have at the pool. To be honest I don't drink that much during the day anyway. At least if its hot!

Chevy Man
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Holiday Inn

Post by Chevy Man » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:57 pm

I changed my money at the hotel to pesos so 90% of the time it was in pesos. We went to Gigante for some snacks and such. With just me drinking I didn't feel like messing around making my own. I'm on vacation, please serve me! :)

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:02 pm

If I was on my own I'd probably go AL Inclusive too. I'll see how I like it. Next year we may look for a lower star resort and then you don't have to feel like you have to eat all your meals there. I've heard there is a big difference between 4 and 5 star and that 5 star the food and drink are absolutely fantastic. Unless I get a really good deal I'm pretty sure I won't get to do 5 star in the near future. One daughter in university and the next one going in fall!! Enough said!

tandr2
PV Master
PV Master

Post by tandr2 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:12 pm

Just a note - typically resorts offer the WORSE exchange rate...with cambio's everywhere, you're better off finding one close to your hotel.

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:16 pm

I will probably take very little cash with me (unless I should use $1.00 american bills for tipping) and get my cash at ATM's.

Just wanted to know what is easier for everyone? If you tip them in $$ that they have to exchange or pesos? Which to most people prefer?

Chevy Man
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Holiday Inn

Post by Chevy Man » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:27 pm

While I was at the HI they were paying 10.5 per US and 10. for Canadian. This was better than anything I saw nearby. As for which they preferred I don't think they cared, they were greatful for any tip.

tandr2
PV Master
PV Master

Post by tandr2 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:46 pm

Most people say to tip in Pesos so that they don't have to waste their time going to the bank to convert it. I would rather pay in USD for tours...

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:47 pm

Thats a good idea. You would need a lot of pesos to pay for the tours!!

mrtitanic
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by mrtitanic » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:38 pm

Glad to hear all went well on your trip Chevy Man except the downsizing of the cocktail glasses. Beer is always a good second choice.