chrisnick trip report

Report on your Puerto Vallarta trip, hotel, restaurant, tour, etc.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master
chrisnick trip report

Post by chrisnick » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:29 pm

Finished my first week at the royal decameron. had an awesome time with the family. food was great. they seemed to have made it a little more healthy, i.e. non deep fried nachos. sorry abou the lower case but this keyboard sucks. grounds were fabulous and drinks were so-so. i bought my own absolut and pepsi after a few days. i´ll have a longer report after i´m back with some details. oh yea, scotts tours is fabulous by the way. satisfaction guranteed. go in and say the lady who flew of the atv recommended you. who knows, you might get an even better price.

i´m at the Holiday Inn sea towers now. nice. just got here yesterday so not alot to say except the lobby bar is great and of course í found people to talk to right away. my girlfriend gets in tonight (family first week) and then we´ll have a few nights on the town. the guide, alex, on our atv tour is taking us out and he is husband approved!

adios amigos

michelle/tyler
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by michelle/tyler » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:02 pm

glad to hear your having a great time.

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:45 pm

good for you Chris... sorry we missed you when you moved down to the Holiday Inn... have a great time....

Winnipeg gal 1
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by Winnipeg gal 1 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:29 pm

Glad your having a great time & enjoying Holiday Inn.I remember those computers well,grrr.I also gave up on capitals & punctuation. :) Looking forward to hearing more when you get back.

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:30 am

Just got back last night. Was offered first class for 150 buck and took it!! It was a perfect ending to a fantastic trip. Will try and get on the computer tomorrow with a full report plus some info on some fabulous food!!

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:36 pm

Okay, I'm finally ready to type my report although it makes me sad with missing PV and happy I have so many great memories. I'll warn you its a long report. I'll try and post pics next week.

Day 1 - Arrived at Royal Decameron in Bucerias with my husband Dan and two girls Tonia & Kelly around 7:00. Checking was very smooth and we actually go to the resort quite quickly. Had a buffet meal although it is hard to call it that since at every buffet you can have something made fresh which we all did. Very nice pasta and you pick your own veggies, etc. Girls met some other university students which was great as these became their friends for the week.

Day 2 - Walked into town on the first street out of the Decameron and stopped at our friends new restaurant Sweet Things to delivery brown sugar. Sandra makes fabulous cinnamon buns and fresh breads, muffins, etc. Think she has only been open a few months but she said she is getting quite busy. Looked around and went to El Chivero for happy hour 5 beers for 60 pesos and two for one drinks. Loved sitting on the beach and having a drink and watching the ocean. Went to the Italian restaurant in the resort which was very good and probably the nicest restaurant there. Oh yea, the craziest thing happened at the resort. We all had a snack at the snack shack and went back to our rooms (at the opposite end of the resort), changed, hung out and were walking to the beach when a staff worker stopped us and asked us if we had been at the snack shack because he thought we had left our backpack there. We didn't even know it was missing and sure enough we went there and it was there. There are over 700 rooms at this resort and how they knew that it was our backpack is just crazy. What a safe place!

Day 3 - Lazy day. Girls went boogie boarding and met some more new people. Lots of students as I guess a number of schools have their university break.

Day 4 - Went on ATV tour booked through Scotts tours. Was great except I hit a tree stump and literally flew off my machine! Took awhile for them to notice I was gone. Can you say sore butt!!! I still can't sit properly! Met friends at Sweet Things for a crib tournament in the afternoon. We had dinner at Dugarels where we got some nice red snapper and the girls had some good steak.

Day 5 - Walked into town and shopoped. Went to the Brasil restauarant at the resort which was again very good. Listened to an awesome band at the show in the evening.

Day 6 - Went on the Santa Maria boat tour (booked through Scotts) which was really nice except very full. Snorkelled at Los Arcos where we didn't see one fish and got dropped of somewhere for lunch which took at hour just to unload people. Lunch was good but a lot of people chose to stay on the beach here instead of continuing on as it look so long. We chose to stay on the boat which was supposed to go to Yelapa but due to time constraints we ended up only going to Quixto Falls. Dan and Tonia didn't walk up to the falls as Tonia wasn't feeling well but Kelly and I hiked it and it was a pretty strenuous hike! Falls were nice but they were charging $5.00 just to use a table so I just took some pics and Kelly went in the water a bit. Had fun on the boat going back dancing and it ended up only getting in at 7:30 instead of 6:00 when it was supposed to so we got kind of a sunset tour out of it.

Day 7 - Another low key day. Went shopping, laid on the beach. Alex our ATV guide called to make sure I was okay which I thought was very nice. I had stopped at Scotts earlier and Scott asked a lot of questions about how it happened etc. and gave me a good deal on my canopy tour because of it I think.

Day 8 - Sad day for the rest of the family as they are going home. Went into town, sat on the beach, rode with the shuttle to the airport and said our goodbyes and off I was by yellow cab to the Holiday Inn Sea River condos. Cab cost me 7.00. Got to hotel where they couldn't find my reservation which was a little stressful as I had booked everything online. Eventually it got sorted out and I was off to my condo which was fabulous. Picked up groceries at Gigante and had a wonderful toasted ham sandwich for my dinner. Checked out the lobby bar which is obviously a popular place.

Day 9 - Relaxed most of the day. Had made arrangements to meet Joyce at CYC's I thought. Actually she said the Cheeky Monkey but I got mixed up. Went to CYC's and waited for an hour and thought I had been stood up. She waited for me at the Cheeky Monkey and thought the same thing. Oops! Picked up my girlfriend Viv at the airport at 11:30. Back to hotel, she changed and wasn't tired so off we were to downtown PV. Went to La Bodequita del Medio where we met a guy from Prince Albert who took us to Andales and Roxy's (apparently called Route 66 but everyone still calls it Roxy's). We only stayed at Andales for a little while and went to Roxy's till 4:30. Fun times!

Day 10 - Made some new friends Mireille and Tanya. Found out they live about 45 minutes from where I live. Made plans to to to Pipi's etc. Pipi's was good but very touristy and I wouldn't go back. I prefer to have more local mexican food. Went to Andales which none of us were crazy about. Actually the only place a waiter acted inappropriately so that is probably what turned us off. Took the girls to Roxy's and they fell in love with the place. It didn't hurt that the staff was cute and friendly but not inappropriately so. Fabian, Sebastian, Carlos, Israel, Juan, Danelle we love you guys (and girl)! Made arrangements with them to celebrate Mireille's birthday on Thursday our last night. Again lots of great dancing and it took us an hour just to leave! Cab driver waited the whole time and when we got around to asking if he understood english he said oh yes he did!! It was hilarious considered 4 womens conversation late at night!

Day 11 - Had massages on the beach which were fabulous and went to Takul's for dinner at the marina. Pretty expensive, around $100 for the two of us but a fabulous meal.

Day 12 - Went on the Los Veronas canopy tour which was absolutely awesome. Would definitely do this tour again. Shopped and went to Burros bar which we really liked. Bought some of those little pull up beach coverups and had everyone around me give an opinion on color. It was fun! Woman and men definitely have different tastes in color. Not as loud as CYC's. Had a relaxing evening and just had a meal in our condo which feels like 5 star.

Day 13 - Viv and Mareille rented jet skis - $50 for 1/2 hour. Went on the Pirate Ship tour (not sure who this was booked through as our friend took care of it) and this is the one tour I didn't like. Ship was too full, couldn't see the show properly, service was poor on the upper deck and the waiter complained about his tip. Waste of good money as I believe this cost us around $75.00. Oh well, you have to have at least one waste of money night!

Day 14 - Relaxed on the beach, bought muffins from the muffin man. Fabulous of course at 1.50/muffin. Went to our favorite Palapa for lunch on the beach by the Holiday Inn and had shrimp quesedelas for 2.50 each. Think I forgot to mention this but there are 3 palapas set up and the middle one is the most recommended. Absolutely incredible blackened Red Snapper for $8.00 and the shrimp on a stick, $4.00 was just awesome!! I think this is my favorite restaurant. In the evening went to El Brujo in the romantic zone. Fabulous meal. Back to Roxy's for the birthday party which was interesting to say the least. Closed the place down and got in at 7:00 in time to sleep for a few hours.

Day 15 - Sad day today since we have to go home. Relaxed, ate at the palapa restaurant with no name one more time. Went Parasailing which was awesome - $45.00. Got to airport a little late where they offered us first class tickets for $150.00 which we took and it was incredible. No lines, champagne, wide seats (which incidentally was great for the butt that is still not normal from the ATV ride). Everything went smooth and our flight actually left 1/2 hour early which was a little weird but great. My husband was surprised to see me come through the doors so quickly but flying first class sure makes a difference when you get off the plane.

Anyway, all in all I had the best vacation ever and believe I will be back in PV next year!! At least once if not twice!
Last edited by chrisnick on Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Winnipeg gal 1
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by Winnipeg gal 1 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:57 pm

Great report,sounds like you had a wonderful time :)

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Chris In PV

Post by smitty » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:23 am

A fun filled vacation - very nice ! :)

sjl330
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by sjl330 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:49 pm

I loved your trip report. It sounds like you had a wonderful time and I miss PV even more now than I did.

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:02 pm

I would like to post some pics but I'm not sure how to do that. Any help from anyone as to the easiest way to do this??

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:06 pm

Chris a good report..

I look forward to seeing your photos..

Help from the helpful gardener :) If you need more help you can pm me...
How to Post Pictures on a Forum
http://www.helpfulgardener.com/phpBB2/v ... d9853da36f

tim25
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by tim25 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:29 pm

Great report, nice to hear that the Decameron is even better!

I have to agree with you about the Pirate Ship sunset cruise. Way too full, cold, service was slow and the drinks sucked. On top of all that, I got seriously ill thanks to the dinner they served, and ended up spending the next day in bed. Really sucks to lose an entire day.

Funny part is that I did the day cruise many years ago, and it was much better, nowhere near the number of people, open bar, good BBQ lunch, snorkeling etc. Of course that was about 10 years ago, so maybe they just weren't as busy.

TIM

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:52 pm

Hey, we did a day cruise too with the fam the week before. It was the Santa Maria and it was great! The food was good and crew was awesome. The only problem there is it was overloaded and it took forever to get off at our stop and we didn't make it to Yelapa because they were behind schedule. But to be honest we had so much fun on the boat it didn't matter!

The only thing the Decameron should change is they should get premium liquor. Got pretty tired of Oso Negro vodka!