Just back from Canto del Sol Plaza

Report on your Puerto Vallarta trip, hotel, restaurant, tour, etc.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Weezie
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
Just back from Canto del Sol Plaza

Post by Weezie » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:48 pm

We just got back from our first visit to Canto del sol plaza. After spending the last 5 years at the Decameron we decided on a change. Well, we were pleasantly surprised. The service was excellent. The hotel was clean and our sheets were changed every day, can you believe that ? We were disappointed in the beach. Every second day the beach was covered in rocks. We only spent one day on the beach in 2 weeks. After the beautiful long beach at the Decameron it was a letdown. The food at Canto was excellent. We tried all 3 al a carte restaurants. The steak restaurant served a variety of steak, but our favourite was the prime rib. It was so tender it melted in your mouth. I can taste it now. We had quite a few students both weeks, one week they were American and the other week Canadian. They were a lot of fun. We had a room on the 2 nd floor (243) in the remodeled part. Very quiet at night. Dont get a room over the lobby if you go to bed early, as it is quite loud until midnight. We went to Bucerias twice, once to meet friends and again to shop. We always took the local bus. A good deal for 1 dollar. We had lunch at El Pescador. They are so sad that Bubba and the Bottom feeders are gone from their Sunday meet up there. We also had the Breaded shrimp for lunch. It was such a big portion we could not finish. We had a great holiday. Spent 2 evenings on the Malecon. Spent one day there when there was protest by the University students at the square. All traffic was averted around it and it was the first time the road by the Malecon was empty. We took a picture for proof. When we left the hotel there was only the 3 of us going to Toronto, so they sent us by cab. It was great because we beat the busses and got checked in fast. Our flight was 45 min late because of a snow storm in Toronto. It had stopped by the time we landed.
All in all it was a good trip.. But next year back to the Decameron, you cannot beat it.

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:30 pm

Weezie nice you had a great vacation..
The Canto del sol is one of the resorts on my list for next PV trip but I can understand why you wish go back to the DeCameron ..
Hurricane Kenna did a lot of damage to the beaches in the Hotel Zone..
Hopefuly one day the beaches will again be what they were..

What I enjoyed reading in your report was how you had fun with the students from the States and Canada :-)4
To many times we read neg. things about spring breakers..

Thanks for taking the time to post.

Weezie
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Weezie » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:08 am

The kids were great. Most of them so polite and gracious to us. Canto uses their snack bar on the beach for breakfast, where they seat and serve you. It is a lot better than the buffet. You can order what you like and they cook it fresh there and you don't have to stand in line waiting for an omlette or fresh cooked eggs. If we were waiting to be seated they would let us go ahead of them. Just a great bunch. I think the people who complain don't remember when they were young.

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:12 am

We stayed at the Decameron the first week with our own university student and grade 12 daughters. There were a lot of students but I can honestly say they were all nice. Very friendly and lots of fun. My girls made friends with a number of them the first day and it was nice for them that they didn't "have" to hang around with their Mom & Dad all the time. I have been to the Decameron three years ago and found it much busier this year. We were in the newest building with the new pool and it was nice but we will likely just rent a condo in Bucerias next year. I rented a condo at Sea River Tower for the second week and it felt like a 5 star hotel compared to an all inclusive.

tandr2
PV Master
PV Master

Post by tandr2 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:17 am

Glad you enjoyed our second home...I agree the beach isn't very nice, but we don't spend much time on the beach so to us it's not a big deal. We have been there 4 times and can't imagine going anywhere else...

Thanks for the short report. :)

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:21 am

I thought the beaches really varied between the hotels. Some parts of the Holiday Inn beach were nice and then you would have a lot of stone. It changed so much along the walk that a person could probably find really nice sand to sit on. We were usually sitting up on top of the stone fence at the HI and the peddlers still all came by and you had the fabulous breeze off the ocean.

Winnipeg gal 1
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by Winnipeg gal 1 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:56 pm

Weezie,great trip report.Glad you had a good time.Sorry you didn't make it to the meet up,maybe next year. :)

Weezie
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Weezie » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:14 pm

Winnipeg gal. We are sorry we missed the meet up also. Time just got away from us, and we had already booked something else before we realized the date..You know how it is..We met a lot of people at the hotel from Winnipeg. Next year for sure.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:18 pm

thought the beaches really varied between the hotels. Some parts of the Holiday Inn beach were nice and then you would have a lot of stone.
That is because of Hurricane Kenna, some resorts have gone all out to repair the beaches that were ruined by the storm surge and some have not, thus the difference from one resort to another.,