Lack of Beach Chairs at GCP

Report on your Puerto Vallarta trip, hotel, restaurant, tour, etc.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Realblond
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Lack of Beach Chairs at GCP

Post by Realblond » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:03 am

Recently stayed at the GCP and there was a lack of beach chairs down on the beach. Plus on two days while there staff from the GCP came and took towels off chairs that were not being used. When complained was told no reserving of chairs. If you wanted to walk the beach....to bad...go eat breakfast to bad....go to the bathroom....to bad. Unless at least one of you were there they took the towels....if you left personal items such as books or shirts they took them off and threw them on the small side tables. Needless to say this caused a lot of frustration with those of us staying there.....we witnessed the staff picking up personal property and when confronted said they didn't after we watched them.......seems to us that the GCP should spend a little money and have enough chairs/lounge chairs for everyone there and then there would be no more need to remove towels.

tojol57

was a big issue

Post by tojol57 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:44 pm

Yes this year it was worse than ever for both the beach and the pool area. but also, some people were taking the little chairs to put their bags, their shoes, their books in them as well... their used to be 4 chairs under each little tent, and now there were two... we did find out they were working on getting some of them repaired because they yellow mesh was tearing and looking really worn and tacky.... It was nice to see them enforce the rules though, as we watched chairs sit for two hours before somebody plopped their butts in them... i would have coffee on our veranda and watch all the people come down and put out tons of junk and save chairs for their posse, which to me is BS... Yes it would be nice to have a chair for each and every person at the resort, but not everybody is at the pool or beach at the same time... Personally i think it is time to start charging for chairs... you pay you stay... chairs are no longer part of the all-inclusive plan... that will get people where they sit then... our whole second week we spent up in our suite because of all the bickering and negative attitudes... and we are 14 time repeat guests over the last 10 yrs... So we definitely know your frustrations....

Realblond
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Disagree

Post by Realblond » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:13 pm

I very much disagree with your statement that they should start charging for chairs. We pay enough money to be there. If they start charging for the chairs then why not go to Walmart and buy our own chairs and umbrella and then they would not be able to touch our stuff. Considering that not all of us can have our own private veranda and sit on it like you do and watch the "little" people fight it out. If GCP needed to repair chairs why didn't they do it in the off season instead of in the middle of their busy season??? We have been there before and never have we seen 4 chairs under the tents unless someone brought them over. All we ask is that they have enough chairs/loungers to accomadate their guests. I don't think that is asking to much.

lojol60
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by lojol60 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:09 am

Honestly, I think there are enough chairs if everyone would learn to share and use them when needed instead of putting their stuff on them all day and not being around. I do know that the resort was getting complaints from guests that there weren't any chairs available and yet 50% - 75% of them had "stuff" on them but no people most of the day. Not everyone is going to be down around the pool or on the beach all day. Some people go into town shopping, site seeing, walk along the beach, etc. Others go on various tours for part or all day. I think it is a matter of people being polite and courteous to others which shouldn't have to be the resort's responsibility or problem. If everyone would try to get along, then it's a win win for everyone. After all everyone is on vacation and wanting to have a good time (at least I hope so). :)

Realblond
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by Realblond » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:51 am

If there were enough chairs then why was there the problem with the GCP staff taking towels off those where someone was gone??? We could not go eat lunch for fear when we came back our towels would be gone!! We could not take a walk on the beach for the same reason....we saw the staff take towels off chairs when even one person from the group was there and they would not listen to anyone.....it was a real problem!!! We went there to relax....not to fight!!! We even saw them take personal towels off the chairs....and it was real frustrating when the staff denied to our faces that they touched personal property and we saw them do it.....
They just need to have more chairs in the busy season. Maybe in their slow season they have enough. We did notice that there were way more loungers by the pool than in past visits. We have pictures to prove that one too. So maybe if they brought some of the loungers back down to the beach it would help. We saw a lot of empty loungers by the pool with no towels etc on them. We go there to relax and have a good time.

tojol57

do the math

Post by tojol57 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:03 am

212 rooms x 2 persons per room is 424 chairs or loungers needed to meet the simple demand, then you take into consideration if a group takes the presidential suite with 8 bedrooms for another 16 people, that is 440 chairs, and then the time share suites that have an adjoining bedroom would add another 12 people, you are now at 452 people looking for chairs. Do you think there is enough space on the beach and the pool area for 452 people at one time. Maybe maybe not. If you feared for going for a walk or going to lunch etc... and you were in your chairs most of the time... then you didn't work with the staff or the resort to keep your place in the beach sunning society... I think we should pull up all the chairs, pull up all the shaded tents, and hand out straw matts for every body to put down on the ground, and lay out that way.. you check out your mat just like you would when you get your towel, if you don't turn in your mat, then you pay, just like if you don't turn in your towel... how does that sound...

Realblond
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by Realblond » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:23 am

Pesonally I just think your full of it......You are not the typical person who comes down to the GCP anyway....your so much better than the rest of us. Just asking for a fair shake. So much for working with the staff....why should we have to in the first place??? We are not there to have to run to the staff with these types of difficulties. We pay good money like most everyone there.....we expect our personal possessions not to be thrown around by the staff either or for them to be rude.

MEX4EVR
PV Fan
PV Fan

I agree

Post by MEX4EVR » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:34 pm

So if I come back to the Crown I should pay all my money up front and then go to Wal Mart and buy a chair?

Or I should be left to negotiate with the staff about where I can sit and hope when I run to the bathroom they don't take my stuff.

Sounds like things there ere getting even worse than the last year debacle with the chairs , one thing is becoming pretty clear about the Crown and that is it aint what it used to be, fixing chairs because they are worn at the height of the busy season shows a complete lack of planning on managements behalf as for the chair game on the beach it has not changed since last year sounds like it's a lot worse.

If I wanted to sit on a straw mat I would would'nt pay an all inclusive rate at a supposed 5 star resort and then be treated as if the resort was doing me a favour by letting me sit in a beach chair.

And no we can't all sit on a private terrace overlooking the little people the rest of us who all payed a lot of money to stay here should at least get the basics!!!!!!1

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

One Way Or Another?

Post by Jennybean » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:07 am

So which is it folks - are you the "I paid a lot of money to stay here" crowd or the "poor little peons" crowd?

You don't get it both ways, although clearly you'd like it both? :wink:

Here's an idea for all inclusive resort dwellers and management - number the chairs, and require guests to sign them out in the mornings just like you do your towel. That way only the people truly interested in pool/beach sunning and relaxing are going to have their chairs, and those who won't be at the hotel that day, won't sign one out until such time as they return and want one.

At that point you would be holding both a chair and some type of token/coupon/card with your chair number - that chair is yours for the day, no ifs ands or buts. Turn in the chair at the end of the day, and the ticket or token/card at the end of your stay - that chair is in essence "assigned" to you for the balance of your trip.

Nor do any of you b*tching about chair condition know that the damaged chairs were not damaged at some point DURING high season - how can you plan for repairs on something that isn't broken during slow season? Let some logic prevail here, huh?

On the support side of this, I do agree making someone who has already paid for an all inclusive package pay to sit in a chair is not even remotely close to a viable solution, and goes against the very nature of "all inclusive". If I'm not paying for use of a beach chair at a budget all inclusive, why on earth would someone paying double or triple what I do want to pay for that, or be expected to? IMO, not a good solution either.

My opinion? Sorry, but demanding that a hotel have a minimum of 500 chairs on hand just to accommodate every guest is not only unreasonable, it's not feasible either space-wise or financially...nor does it happen at ANY other resort in Puerto Vallarta and likely most of them around the world.

Man...and people wonder why I stay in condos and small hotels now! I never have to deal with this! :lol:

Realblond
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by Realblond » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:39 am

Maybe all the GCP would really have to do is purchase another 50 chairs and that would end the problems they were having. As for repairing during high season they should have looked at their equipment before the high season and been able to tell how many would be able to make it thru the season before repairs were needed. Having to pay for chairs at an all inclusive resort is pretty ridiculous to say the least. Why would one want to stay at one if they now have to pay for chairs. I sure wouldn't!! And I wouldn't want to have a straw mat to lay one either......if that was the case I would stay elsewhere. If we didnt' want an all inclusive resort we would stay elsewhere. We can't all afford private suites with sunbathing decks.

JROJEFF
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by JROJEFF » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:00 am

Jennybean ,we think alot alike ,small hotel = chairs and peace ,gotta love it,and close to the good grub,and local shopping (coolers+yello+cervasa y tequilla)

tojol57

Cost effective

Post by tojol57 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:22 pm

yes in the perfect world you would think you would have all the chairs ready for high season. but then again, you get the first time gringos to an all-inclusive, their first time for a major vacation like this, and think they are KING of the mountain... plopping their fat drunkin butts into chairs and snapping them in two (see this a few times in my trips down too)... no matter what you will not have enough chairs even if you did have 500 for a 212 room hotel... could you see a place like the Melia or Sierra with their 490 - 550 rooms having over 1000 chairs for everybody and their kids and brother and sister. it would be a nightmare for sure.

Personally i like the concierge idea, when you come to check in your towels you check out your seating assignment. You are given a ticket with your seat number and you can only reserve for YOUR ROOM only.. you can't sign your friends, your travelling buddies, your new friends you made during the week... and you go from there...

no matter what we think say or do here, it isn't going to change the world today...

Jennybean, love you comments too babe... good show

MEX4EVR
PV Fan
PV Fan

CHAIRS AT GCP OR LACK THEREOF

Post by MEX4EVR » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:54 pm

you get the first time gringos to an all-inclusive, their first time for a major vacation like this, and think they are KING of the mountain... plopping their fat drunkin butts into chairs and snapping them in two

QUOTE COURTESY OF "MR.Crown"

Why do you insist on getting into personal attacks, as someone who fancies him/herself an ambassador of this resort is this the way you hink of guests at this resort .Is this what is said at your "Management Mettings "

Guess what in the service industry the customer is KING /QUEEN, as the rest of us are trying to discuss this problem intelligently maybe we could leave the personal attacks aside .

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:16 pm

the "truth hurts" - you mean to tell me you haven't looked across the pool at a newbie (even some repeaters) to the resort, their first day there, pounding down every cocktail infront of them, forgetting to eat, and then bounce off people, fall on people in the pool, become loud obnoxious drunken gringos... and then stay in the hot tub area consuming more alcohol into the night, and getting even louder as people down in the Bella Vista are trying to dine... in the 10 yrs and 14 trips to this resort i have seen both men and women that thought they needed to consume their weekly alotment on their first day to the resort, and then BMW their way around because their hangover is so great, they miss the next two days of their vacation and blame everybody else for their mistakes...

And yes i have referred to some of the "grossly over served" guests as Gringos, they haven't a clue on how to moderate themselves. The see that they paid for that booze and they are going to get their fair share before everybody else...

and yes in the service industry the guest is the King and Queen, but there is also logic to this discussion too... I have put it in a mathematical equation and the practicality of having a chair for each and every person during their stay.. and i get FLAMED for that, My wife puts out her thougths as well and she gets blasted for her comments, Jennybean and JRO put in their two cents worth, and no matter what, no matter what resort, their is going to be this issue, and if this issue was resolved with 750 chairs, it still wouldn't be enough for some people.

JMHO

MEX4EVR
PV Fan
PV Fan

CHAIRS AT GCP OR LACK THEREOF

Post by MEX4EVR » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:42 pm

Look

The simple fact is a person wrote in to compalin that there were not enough chairs at the GCP , I have personally seen it myself , by your own admission things this year were the worst you have seen, its just an observation , a critique if you will .
Whomever writes in and says they have likes and dislikes about a resort I for one welcome it , it should be about gathering information and making choices for people who want to visit Puerto Vallarta .

If the GCP has a problem with guests ( the key wod here is guest) being overindulgent rest assured it happens everywhere.

People should be able to state their opinion without being flamed or ranted on.

We get it you guys love the GCP more power to you , you have found your place in the sun .....why not let everyone else make up teir own minds by being able to read all the reviews not just the Glowing ones....as you said "nothing is perfect'

tojol57

Exactly

Post by tojol57 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:05 pm

Lets agree to disagree here.. yes the GCP is our special place in Paradise, but we also like to get to the bottom of some "negative" reviews and find ways to fix, or to resolve those issues. but the "flaming" goes both ways... people feel we are flaming them, but when you try to put together some logical explanations, we are flamed the other direction too...

Peace and Love... lets all go back to the 60's and 70's and remember the good ole days... HA HA HA

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Pot, Kettle

Post by Jennybean » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:02 pm

People should be able to state their opinion without being flamed or ranted on.
True enough, but it doesn't seem to stop those who claim they've been flamed from flaming Tom and Lorrie here either, basically out and out calling them snobs and deriding their nicknames from the staff - so what makes that any different than them referencing boorish activities they've personally witnessed, which is now being labeled "flaming"?...as noted, can't have it both ways.

While it's perfectly understandable people will complain, how about approaching it differently - such as, if you're going to complain about something, why not offer up a solution to fix the problem or a suggestion as to how it can be made better?

If all you do is b*tch about it, then that's all it is - someone b*tching about it and all people are ever going to do is tune (the collective) you out. A problem can't be solved without a solution or suggestion, so why not offer one up if you think it can be done better?

I offered up a solution upthread and I don't even STAY in this bloody hotel! It's clearly not rocket science, nor is it hard, so why the big production number? It's my understanding the hotel gives you comment/suggestion cards to turn in at your stay - so why not give some solutions or suggestions instead of just a flat out complaint?

You'd think we were asking people to cure cancer. :lol:

Realblond
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by Realblond » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:31 pm

We did fill out a card at the end of our stay and we did suggest that they buy more loungers. We even stated that if they were to buy 50 more they would curtail most of the problem. No place is going to be 100% perfect. All resorts will have some problems. But it is up to the individuals to decide where they want to stay. This just lets people know there could be a problem with being able to get chairs at the pool/beach area when they are there.

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:58 pm

I think some good points have been made on the subject of lounge chairs but I think the subject has been exhausted here...
Would it not be a better idea to write the Resort..Resorts ...where there are concerns on how they handle their lounge chairs..
Also one could write their travel agent if they use one ..
Those are the people who can make changes...
Just my humble :)

Ozark American
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by Ozark American » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:25 pm

We returned from the GCP yesterday. We noticed a lack of chairs Thursday - Sunday. But what we noticed even more so was that the hotel was full and people on the beach not only took 2 loungers but 2 chairs as well. When the hotel is at full capacity, I think guests should be limited to 2 loungers or 2 chairs. We also saw people put their towels on loungers under the canopies and then take loungers from the stack of extras and haul them down to the beach front and then go back and forth between the full sun to full shade. This was totally unnecessary. We were in our loungers no later than 8 am everyday. We didn't have a problem getting up for a walk or going to get lunch. The staff did remove towels on those chairs that weren't occupied a good portion of the morning and good for them because we saw people desperately trying to find a place to sit and couldn't. We also saw a near International incident when the staff took towels off 2 loungers, a young spanish speaking couple took the loungers, the Gringos came back later and blew a gasket telling the young couple they were going to get their towels and that the young couple had better have their butts out of the loungers when they got back. How embarrassing.