MartyC's Puerto Vallarta Trip Report

Report on your Puerto Vallarta trip, hotel, restaurant, tour, etc.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God
MartyC's Puerto Vallarta Trip Report

Post by Plus4 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:14 am

MartyC is a member here and on the Playa board where I also am a member..
MartyC did a trip report there and has given me permission to post the report here..

Enjoy the Great Report...Photos and comments about Puerto Vallarta...
:)

http://www.playa.info/playa-del-carmen- ... 008-a.html

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:43 pm

Checked out Marty's thread this morning..Photos have been added and more good comments about Puerto Vallarta..
Me thinks it look like there will be quite a few return visitors to Puerto Vallarta..

Good Job MartyC :) :-)4

beachluvr
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by beachluvr » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:25 pm

having been to PDC first and PV 4x since, i understand why the turquoise
water and white sand of carribean have such a strangle on people.
Not sure if wife and i would have traveled to PV on our own behalf;
have to thank friends for bringing us there, and we keep thanking them
every year with no end in sight.
great trip report by MartyC. love the responses by the PDC tourists.

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:18 am

beachluvr wrote:having been to PDC first and PV 4x since, i understand why the turquoise
water and white sand of carribean have such a strangle on people.
Not sure if wife and i would have traveled to PV on our own behalf;
have to thank friends for bringing us there, and we keep thanking them
every year with no end in sight.
great trip report by MartyC. love the responses by the PDC tourists.
beachluvr I do agree.... yes the white sand and turquoise has a strangle on people ..We (Bill and I) have a need for a change and are going to Playa end of Nov again with friends and family but :) :) Puerto Vallarta has a charm of it's own and the city will be waiting for our return... :) soon...
I too think MartyC did a great report and the wonderful interesting PDC members have really responded to the post with a love for PV and area.... E)E

again more added to report and photos..I have to admit after what I have read and seen on Marty's report this..... has made me want to go back to PV...

MartyC
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by MartyC » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:22 pm

Thanks to Plus4 for posting the link and thanks to the rest of you for your kind comments. We really like both sides of Mexico but PV has a distinct charm for us. To make this easier I think I'll try to post my trip report here as well as playa.info.

A Trip Report – Puerto Vallarta, Feb 23 – Mar 9

This is my first attempt at a trip report, so please bear with me. I have to apologize to the foodies in the group right up front. There are only a few food pics and even less memory of what we ate.

We go to PV every year and meet up with my wife’s sister and her boy friend who go there from the Peg (that’s Winnipeg) every winter for 7 – 8 weeks. They both retired early from Manitoba Hydro, lucky buggers. Makes for a pretty affordable vacation as they already have accommodations and we mooch off of them. Thank goodness the sisters get along!!! This year there was a family emergency and the sister in law and boyfriend had to return early, so we were on our own.

We flew Delta out of Vancouver through Salt Lake City. I usually find good fares by flying on US airlines with stops in the States, but it does make for a long day of travelling. Believe it or not, it’s hard to get a direct, reasonably priced, commercial flight from Vancouver to anywhere in Mexico. Anyway, through immigration without a hitch, got a green light and off to run the gamut of time share salesmen and find our transportation to the hotel.

On with the story. As I said, we had to find last minute accommodation for about 5 nights, one two night stay and one three night stay a few days later. I found a room at a place called Hotel Eloisa in the romantic zone, which is the area of PV that we usually stay in.

The hotel is about a half block from the beach and a bar called Burros. The room for our first two night stay was very basic, on the inside of the hotel with no a/c, no natural light and a ceiling fan that must have been spinning at about 10,000 rpm. To top it off, my reservation was in the name of Martin Morales. I thanked the desk clerk for my Spanish name, asked them to correct their records for our next stay four days later, and Tina (that’s my wife) and I began to relax and enjoy our vacation.

One very nice thing about the hotel is the rooftop deck and pool. Some of you who are familiar with PV will notice all the construction. A lot of new condos being built. Maybe that’s good and maybe it isn’t. Here are some photos from the roof deck.

It’s off to Cuates y Cuetes, a favorite beach bar, for our first happy hour and beautiful Mexican sunset.

It’s a short day as we were up and at the airport very early. Off to bed to prepare for what promises to be an intentional boring and restful two weeks.

Day 2

Day two promises to be hot and sunny, with cold beer and beautiful beaches. It’s off to El Pirata, The Puerto Vallarta version. This was the only day that the waves were calm. After breakfast at a new restaurant we spent the day on the beach, trying not to burn and staying hydrated.

This evening we thought we would try Burros for happy hour. We ended up staying for dinner and watching another beautiful Mexican sunset. After dinner we were off for a walk on the Malecon. It is Saturday night so there is a show going on in the main town square. Lots of people around both locals and tourists. Tomorrow is our first of 4 moves. We will be staying at the condo complex we usually stay at for three nights. Can’t wait.

Day 3

Moving day number 1. Check in time at the condo is 4:00 pm so we wait as long as possible to check out of the hotel. We spent the morning on the rooftop deck, taking pictures and soaking up as much sun as possible. It’s only about 9 or 10 blocks from the Hotel Eloisa to the Playa del Sol, but this is Puerto Vallarta so we take a cab. Any of you who have stayed in the Romantic Zone of PV will know why we took a cab instead of walking dragging our suitcases behind us.

Here are some pictures of the room at Playa del Sol.

While we were waiting for our room at the condo we went on a scouting trip to the markets looking for Tina’s favorite pottery store. Didn’t find it this time but there will be many more moving days this trip. We will prevail.

Now, this is Oscar night and Tina announces that if the awards on TV, we are staying in to watch. First time in 20 years of vacationing in Mexico and she finally got to watch the Oscars on vacation.

Some random shots from the day.

My next installment will skip ahead to day six.
Skipping ahead to Day 6

I skip ahead because there’s only so much you can say about laying on the beach, reading a book, soaking up the sun and staying hydrated, i.e. buckets of ice cold cervesa.

Day 6 is moving day number two, back to the Hotel Eloisa for a three night stay. On check-in I find that this reservation has not been corrected and I am still Martin Morales. No problem, but I want to upgrade the room to one on the outside of the hotel, with natural light, air conditioning, and maybe even a TV. After some discussion among the desk clerk and a manager (I assume) we get the desired upgrade and pay the additional $390 pesos. A deal at twice the price.

Because this is another moving day, we decide to skip the beach and go in search of some new restaurants or bars. We found a lovely restaurant, Le Bistro, on Isla Rio Cuale, where it is happy hour all day long and they serve great Margaritas and Pina Coladas. We would return to this restaurant later in our stay to have lunch on Tina’s birthday.

Day 7

Today, it’s breakfast at Freddy’s Toucan and then we’ll catch the bus to Mismaloya, one of our favorite places to spend the day on the beach. Mismaloya is the place where the movie Night of The Iguana was filmed. This movie and Elizabeth Taylor are what put the area on the vacation map. A little known fact, the movie Alien vs. Predator, was filmed on the other side of the highway in the jungles of Mismaloya. There isn’t much else at Mismaloya on the beachside of the highway, a few condo’s one AI resort and four beach bars where you will be treated like kings and queens. A day at Mismaloya will cost us $12 Pesos for the bus each way and about $250 Pesos for beer and food. The sun sand and intermittent entertainment is free for all to enjoy.

Image The bus to Mismaloya.

Image The original John Houston’s Restaurant. It was apparently started by director Houston’s personal chef after the filming of Night Of The Iguana.

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:29 pm

Now that is one helluva report! Lots of work to get one like that posted too :-) Thanks for that, very colourful and enjoyable. Glad to see you had a great time in town.

Mogens

beachluvr
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by beachluvr » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:12 pm

that's funny about your wife watching the oscars.
we were there then too and joked earlier that day about spending
precious PV time watching 'the oscars'. we had just arrived the day before;
and we usually have waaaaay too much fun our first nite in PV;
no exception this year......anyways, we found ourselves in front
of the tv sunday nite watching 'the oscars'.
almost hard to admit :)

MartyC
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by MartyC » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:14 am

Day 9 (another fast forward)

This is moving day number 3. Today we are off to the Hotel Tropicana for three nights. We’re looking forward to this as we have heard good things about the hotel and have never stayed here. Once again check out time at the Eloisa and check in time at the Tropicana don’t mesh and we have another day of no beach and a lot of walking around. We finally check in and the room is OK. Nice view of the poof and the beach but the bed is a little hard, in fact at first I thought the mattress was actually a sheet of plywood. It wasn’t but you could have fooled me.

Some shots in and around the Tropicana.

Image This is the beach in front of the “Blue Chairs” resort taken from the roof of the Tropicana. Note the sea of humanity.

Day 11

Another trip to Mismaloya today. We will walk along the beach to the Hotel Lindo Mar for breakfast. They serve the best breakfasts and the view is beautiful. The walk takes us through Conchas Chinas, a very nice area full of condos, private casa’s and beautiful little beaches. After breakfast we’ll go up to the highway and jump on the bus, another $12 Pesos for bus fare. This day in Mismaloya is very much like the last. A perfect day on vacation. Here are a few shots of the Conchas Chinas area.

Image That’s the Lindo Mar restaurant in mid frame, perched on the rocky shore.

charlieb

Post by charlieb » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:50 am

Yea, but did you really have fun and enjoy your self? Come on, now, don't hold back, you can tell us. Chuck... 8)

MartyC
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by MartyC » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:39 pm

charlieb wrote:Yea, but did you really have fun and enjoy your self? Come on, now, don't hold back, you can tell us. Chuck... 8)
Hated it. Never going back..... at least not today.

tojol57

bravo

Post by tojol57 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:04 pm

MartyC - i have to agree with the admin mogens - that is one helluva a report... thank you for sharing that with us... and i am sure that by the looks of some of the views, the food, the signs, the smiles on the faces that you really wished you never found such a beautiful piece of paradise... makes you want to toss all aside and take up permanent residence doesn't it...

again thank you for the rekindling the life we all love called Vallarta....

peace

MartyC
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by MartyC » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:14 pm

Day 12

Today is Tina’s birthday. I bought her a little point and shoot Olympus all her own but I gave it to her before we started our vacation. A lot of the pics you have seen are hers. Today is also our last moving day. It’s back to Playa del Sol for our last five nights. So, more walking around town and back to Le Bistro for lunch and some more of those 2 for 1 Margarita’s and Pina Colada’s. We spent the rest of the afternoon strolling around PV taking pictures of doors and windows, staircases and little hidden yards and entrances to people’s homes. These things fascinate Tina. All in all, it was another great day in paradise.

Image Back at Le Bistro ordering 2 X 1 drinks.

Day 13

Today is another beach day. Not much going on except sun, sand, surf and cervesa. This night we met up with some friends from Winnipeg who spend three months in PV. We decided to walk up the hill to a really nice restaurant on Rio Cuale, the river that runs through the middle of PV. It’s a very nice place down by the river and up in the hills. Well worth the trip this is a family run restaurant in one of the prettiest settings you are likely to see.

Image Cuale Paradise Restaurant. Beautiful setting.

Day 14

This is our last trip to Mismaloya today. Once again a walk to Hotel Lindo Mar, this time along the highway. We had another great breakfast and another bus ride to the beach. Once again we were treated like royalty by Chichoo, our waiter at Las Gaviotas Restaurant and Bar.

Some more random shots around PV.

Image More new condos.

Image A very interesting tree.

Image That’s some block of ice. This guy carried about a dozen blocks this size and larger to the bars at Mismaloya.

That’s about the extent of our vacation in Puerto Vallarta. We had a wonderful and relaxing 16 days and can’t wait to do it again. We had an uneventful flight home, once again through Salt Lake City. I’ve learned my lesson. The older we get, the harder it is to remember things like what we ate, where we ate it and what photos we took at a particular time at a particular place and time. The next time I go on vacation, I will take a notebook and make notes as well as remember to take food pictures. Thanks for reading my trip report and I hope you enjoyed it.

Authors note: As if to prove my statement above I have just been told that I have the name of a restaurant wrong. It is not Le Bistro but La Bolero.

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:43 pm

Marty your report was wonderful :)
Thanks so much for taking the time to put your photos and words together for us..

You have captured what I love about Puerto Vallarta...
I would have enjoyed being on the stroll with you and Tina :) ..I am like Tina..I too really enjoy looking at... doors and windows, staircases and little hidden yards and entrances to people’s homes in PV. :) also enjoy looking at the flower boxes plants planters old cobblestones roof tops and steps..

We have friends who have never been to PV ..They always ask me why I enjoy Puerto Vallarta so much..This morning I am going to send them a link to your report..
I think they will get it... :)

northmb
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by northmb » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:47 pm

Thanks so much for your report MartyC! It really warmed me up this morning (it's minus 41 windchill here right now! :cry: )

I really enjoyed your pictures of the Tropicana - that is where we stayed this year and it was like seeing pictures of home!

Thanks for sharing!

Sherry