IS it quiet in here? Is PV Quiet?

Report on your Puerto Vallarta trip, hotel, restaurant, tour, etc.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

glacierroasters
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
IS it quiet in here? Is PV Quiet?

Post by glacierroasters » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:40 am

We have wondered if it may be slow in PV this Winter.

I have not been in the forum since last year, and it seems a lot slower in here than I recall last year leading up to Jan 1st (we went last year about the same time as we are planning to go this year..even though we have considered not going...everyone thinks we are crazy or rich....we are not)

:lol:

Just curious on anyone Else's thoughts?

Anyone been to PV lately or heard of people canceling trips? We booked our flights at the peak...Oil started dumping the next day.

:?

Oh well - PV here we come!

tandr2
PV Master
PV Master

Post by tandr2 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:57 am

we will be there in 7 days - I have been watching the webcam and I think it's slow but the high season is just starting. I know some Cdn Tour operators have been cancelling flights to certain destinations, but PV isn't one of them

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by travelbug_jp » Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:26 am

I just got back last week. It's definitely not high season although there were tourists around. The malecon is not as crowded, nor the restaurants we went to. I had a mani/pedi and the proprietor said its a very strange time. She said that she may be busy all day for 2 days and then only a few customers for 3 or 4 days etc. She said that usually by now she's consistantly busy and that a few members of her staff are on call for when she needs them. Almost all the vendors that spoke with me asked me about the Canadian economy, they are definitely concerned.
My husband just told me that WestJet has got some amazing seat sales to PV right now.
People like you and I who are neither crazy nor rich but have worked hard to save the money for our vacations appreciate every leisure minute we have over there. You will have a great time, enjoy your vacation.

Joyce

benito
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by benito » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:48 am

it didn't seem busy, except for all the work being done to the street and the fixing up of places of business. not busy on the beach except on the weekends when the mexican families were hanging out. our property mgr hasn't noticed less inquiries for rentals though our xmas to new years reservation just canceled.

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:32 am

I know I'm looking forward to being in PV. There was an article in the paper today talking about the cancellations but it said there was nothing unusual about them and PV still seems to be popular. Not sure whether I'm going in February or at the end of January this year. Have been checking sales and right now we can stay at the San Marino for 698 plus taxes i believe. Not sure whether we'll go AL this year or just book a flight and rent something. I know I have not been on the forum that much and I think that is because the weather has been nice in Manitoba. Cold weather always makes people want to get the heck out of here!

glacierroasters
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by glacierroasters » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:57 pm

Thanks Joyce for the report and the reassuring words...

I have often felt guilty for still planning on going, but my wife and I have come so accustomed to our week away from everything (no kids, no friends, no other couples) just us on our little adventure wandering Vallarta and the surrounding towns.

thanks again - 1 month and counting!

Bo

lojol60
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by lojol60 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:00 pm

Hola everyone! Tom and I just got home last night after being in PVR for a week and we noticed that it was very quiet down on the malecon the 3 nights we went to Andales compared to last year at this same time. Hopefully, things will start to pick up soon. We had a great time and can't wait for our March trip.

Lorrie

DugChan
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by DugChan » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:11 pm

Me and a couple buddies are planning a trip in April.In the last 3-4 weeks flights from Edmonton and Calgary have been disappearing like crazy for the month of April. Has anyone else noticed this? We are thinking about moving up to march so we have a decent selection at decent prices.

kcowan
PV Master
PV Master

Post by kcowan » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:32 pm

We've been here since Oct 28th. Everything is slower except when the cruise ships invade. No problem getting into restaurants. Traffic is lighter.

One surprise: time share sales at The Mayan in NV are up at record levels. Generally, real estate sales are down substantially.

No lineups to check out at Rizo, Mega, Soriana or Costco.

tandr2
PV Master
PV Master

Post by tandr2 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:57 pm

We too have found it slower than normal here..we arrived last Thursday...

Chevy Man
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

PV Now

Post by Chevy Man » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:46 pm

Is it still nice weather in Manitoba? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:36 pm

It is a balmy -20 degree Celsius (-4 Fahrenheit) this morning...Can get a flight to PV from Winnipeg for $443/person at the end of February....I WANT TO BOOK THIS ONE!!! Grrrrr.....hate waitin for other people to decide when they want to go!!

Flights/packages are getting cheaper and I can't wait to be there!!!

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:55 pm

Chris,
I'd book it and tell them you come or you don't but I'm goin'. :D If that doesn't light a fire under them nothing will.

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:10 pm

2 were commited but one kept not liking the dates we picked!!! She confirmed today she is good to go either February 20th or 21st! Now I'm just going to pretent I'm in Vegas for a bit and see what kind of deal I can get! Were looking at San Marino but a little concerned it might be tooo close to all the action. What is is close the Malecon but not right in the super busy area....

Thinking of just booking flights too so a hotel would be alright. We definitely want to be right on the beach. It is two of my girlfriends first time in PV and they want to be on the beach. So excited because one of them has never been on a hot holiday! Love travelling with first timers.

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ellen » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:18 pm

chrisnick wrote:2 were commited but one kept not liking the dates we picked!!! She confirmed today she is good to go either February 20th or 21st! Now I'm just going to pretent I'm in Vegas for a bit and see what kind of deal I can get! Were looking at San Marino but a little concerned it might be tooo close to all the action. What is is close the Malecon but not right in the super busy area....

Thinking of just booking flights too so a hotel would be alright. We definitely want to be right on the beach. It is two of my girlfriends first time in PV and they want to be on the beach. So excited because one of them has never been on a hot holiday! Love travelling with first timers.
The area by San Marino quiets down very nicely at night. We were never bothered by any noise. We had an oceanfront room on the top floor.

Chevy Man
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Book now?

Post by Chevy Man » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:26 pm

Funjet has good packages out of Detroit for January, but I'm holding out for some good prices in February. Taking a gamble that they will drop a little.

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:58 am

Thanks Ellen...I really would not mind being at the San Marino since last year we stayed at the Holiday Inn and spent every night down town anyway. I love all the street/beach action in old PV. It reminds me of when I first went to Mexico! Nice to know it quiets down at night though...When I get home from my night out I like to be able to sleep. Is it hard to get beach loungers? I do like to go on the beach for people watching!

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ellen » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:13 am

chrisnick wrote:Thanks Ellen...I really would not mind being at the San Marino since last year we stayed at the Holiday Inn and spent every night down town anyway. I love all the street/beach action in old PV. It reminds me of when I first went to Mexico! Nice to know it quiets down at night though...When I get home from my night out I like to be able to sleep. Is it hard to get beach loungers? I do like to go on the beach for people watching!
I'm afraid I don't remember about beach loungers. I literally never go to the beach and didn't even when we stayed at the San Marino.

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:02 am

No big deal really. I like to watch people and the good part about staying old vallarta is you can walk along the beach and go to any the beach bars, sit on the beach, have a margarita and you have a lounger!

northmb
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by northmb » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:38 pm

There are beach loungers close by. I think that you just have to purchase a beverage or two - but they are in front of LaPalapa and spill over towards San Marino - just a few steps. They also have loungers around their pool at the San Marino.

Sherry