23 - 29 May 09

Report on your Puerto Vallarta trip, hotel, restaurant, tour, etc.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

darla
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
23 - 29 May 09

Post by darla » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:51 pm

This was my husband and my 4th trip to the Dreams PV. We were there 23 - 29 May. We were really apprehensive about going this time with the swine flu scare. I watched and read everything I could possilbly find prior to our leaving and finally ended up saying "what the heck" and just went. We brought lots of hand sanitizer, but ended up not really needing it as the resort has bottles of it positioned around the resort in various places. Even going off the resort we were offered sanitizer at most of the restaurants and bars.
When we arrived we were talking to our taxi driver and he said that the week before we got there, it was still really a ghost town. While we were there, it seemed like the crowds were beginning to return. I think people are getting some really good deals right now trying to get the tourism to rebound. I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to return.
Anyway, the first full day we were there we decided to charter a boat right in front of the resort to take us to Los Arcos to snorkel...OMG!!! The fish were so beautiful! I had heard that the water wasn't clear enough to see fish in PV...boy were they wrong. The guy driving the boat would throw bread in near us and the fish would swarm us. It was the coolest thing I've ever done. When we were finished (2 hours), the boat brought us back and dropped us back off on the Dreams beach.
Day 2: We decided to take a day trip to Mismaloya beach. At first I was like, "why go to a different beach when we have one of our own right at the Dreams?" Well, was I wrong. The atmosphere at the Mismaloya beach was completely different since most of the people there were locals. We were greated at the taxi by a local restaurant owner, who took us to some nice chairs with umbrella's and began bringing the iced buckets of beer. We had a delicious lunch at one of the restaurants on the beach. There we 6 in my group and a fulls day (with God only knows how many buckets of beer) and the lunch for 6 only ran us about $50 USD each couple. Not bad for such an awesome day.
Day 3 we took a guided jungle tour. Our driver (again picked us up at the resort) and took us all over the place. Did you know there's a tree that once you put a cut in it will ooze this white liquid that when mixed with saliva in your mouth makes gum? Interesting stuff. He also took us on a tequilla tasting tour, to the set where the movie The Predator was made, and to Chico's landing for another outstanding local lunch. It was in this location that we met the local kids who were diving off the rocks in the pool of water at the base of a waterfall...pretty hairy stuff. Well, after a few cold ones, they had us talked into sliding off the waterfall into the pool below. It was so exilerating!!!
The 4th day was spent with the guys golfing and the girls soaking up the sun on the BEAUTIFUL beach at the Dreams.
The last 2 days we spent wondering around the malecon area and wondering up and down the streets of old town. The sites in this beautiful town are just out of this world. I wish we were able to spend more time in PV, but will have to wait for next time.
I am so thankful that we decided to go. It's been 6 days since our return and no sign of the flu. I just think that people need to live life to the fullest and not let anything hold you back.
The resort was so nice, like I said this was our 4th time there. We stayed in the newly remodeled Club Tower in a junior suite and it was totally incredible as was the food and drinks.

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by travelbug_jp » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:11 pm

I loved your report, thanks for sharing it. Sounds like you had a great time and I'm glad you decided not to cancel your trip. What was the weather like and did you get a chance to sample the fresh and in season mangoes?

Joyce

darla
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by darla » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:37 pm

The weather was totally beautiful the entire time we were there. Sunny and 90 and yes, the mangos were delicious!!

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ellen » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:33 pm

Thank you for the report, Darla. It's so great that you went even though you were apprehensive and that you had such a wonderful time.

benito
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by benito » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:15 pm

next time go a little farther south to boca, even less crowded than mismaloya, great swimming, nice beach cantinas, botanical gardens close by. you can reach either by bus or water taxi...great way to spend the day.