Time Share Sharks - how bad are they?

Report on your Puerto Vallarta trip, hotel, restaurant, tour, etc.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

tlippy
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
Location:Central Oregon - where there's snow on the ground 6 months of the year
Time Share Sharks - how bad are they?

Post by tlippy » Thu Nov 29, 2001 5:42 pm

I have been reading on other boards that these snakes are really making for some unpleasant experiences for PV vacationeers. Can't they be dealt with like I used to deal with the Hare Krishnas in all the airports? Hold our your right arm extended and fisted and if they stand in your way just plow thru them. OR slam your heel down on the top of their foot if they stay in your path. That's how I intend to deal with someone who I tell NO nicely once and they persist in pestering. There has go to be some defence to their offence. Any thoughts?

mrmike9

Re:Time Share Sharks - how bad are they?

Post by mrmike9 » Fri Nov 30, 2001 12:21 am

Just ignore them! It's easy. Don't answer any of their questions (Where are you from? Want a free jeep rental? etc.) Don't take any of their literature or maps. Just walk right past them and don't say a word. Try not to make eye contact with them. They'll leave you alone.

pt

Post by pt » Fri Nov 30, 2001 5:27 am

Well, I don't think violence with them is the answer although I know sometimes that's a thought! Just ignore them and don't make eye contact as the above poster stated. I remember once Brenda had a great idea. Buy one of those candy cellphones and carry it with you. They think you live here (although I live here and sometimes they still bug me!). If you don't take the bait, they will usually leave you alone.

bsimpson
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by bsimpson » Fri Nov 30, 2001 11:07 pm

This Spring, my wife and I were staying at the Marival. Went bicycling past the Allegro Diamond Resort and decided to "window shop" the place. In order for us to take a walk around tour we were told to leave a driver's license with the Registration desk. When I went to get my license back, just guess who the Registration desk people had handed it over to????? Right, a slimeball TS salesman. He wanted to 'treat' us to a free breakfast, bottles of booze, etc. When I said no and asked for my license back he got pushier. I threatened calling the police (in a quite loud voice, in the lobby). Got my license back and a case of sour grapes for both the resort and TS folks.

As a result of September 11 and the collapse of Canada 3000 airlines, I'd suggest a couple ways for PV to promote increased tourism - "Pin the Grenade on the TS Person" and the always-fun "TS Pinata".

Capt Jack

Post by Capt Jack » Sat Dec 01, 2001 6:54 am

OPC's offering $150 cash for the Mayan Palace or Playa Del Sol Grande. They pocket $150 and 1% of sale price if you sign up. Now that high season is starting, expect to see them in restaurants. I tell them I've been to their presentation and signed an exit agreement that bars me from coming back. If you don't expext to see them again, tell them you're going home tomorrow morning.

bzy1

Post by bzy1 » Mon Dec 03, 2001 2:59 am

Well, if the cell phone doesn't work, you can always buy my T-shirts...
"Bankrupt" or my favorite "single" ... hehe.

The ones on the street can be from annoying to helpful, or funny, especially when you reverse the roles on them. Try selling them a $100,000 one bedroom condo on Los Muertos. The ones on the street aren't too bad, either don't make eye contact, or a polite no gracias as you keep walking.

If you do a presentation, bring your patience. They will bring a few people in one after another to wear you down. A little good cop, bad cop.
If you make X amount of money per hour at home, see if the free breakfast for a 4 hour tour is worth the price. Maybe, maybe not.

If you want to buy a timeshare, know what you are buying. It's really not a bad deal for some people. Knowing that you can spend one week or two a year in PV can make it all worth while.

If you are interested in doing a timeshare deal just to get a cheap tour, think twice. The hassle may be far more than the bargain. If you want to book a tour, look for a good agent. Pamela, or pt, has booked many a tours for me and my friends and has always been a wealth of info. I would rather pay a few bucks and enjoy the day, rather than being locked up in a small TS room with a vice-grip on my credit card:)

Barry

Post by Barry » Thu Dec 13, 2001 8:03 pm

They aren't that bad. The problem is they are everywhere. Waiters in restaurants, cab drivers, clearks in grocery stores, basically expect a timeshare pitch from everyone you encounter. The sooner you recognize it and are obviously a "no", the better off you are. Here are approaches that work:
1. Ignore and keep on walking
2. I've been to that presentation.
3. I'm not 25 years old.
4. I'm leaving tomorrow A.M.
5. I'm an airline employee.

For anyone other than the street timeshare barkers a polite no works. The street people deserve to be ignored.

Brill

Post by Brill » Fri Dec 14, 2001 3:53 pm

Wow, such violence. Our experience with the time share 'sharks' in PV was a little annoying at worst. We found that they will back off when you tell them you aren't interested. No violence required!! Matter of fact, as long as you realise what their game is, they aren't so bad. We actually ended up speaking to several of these ' sharks' and found them quite interesting. But they have to realise up front you aren't AT ALL interested in any time share! Turn the table on them. Invariably their first question is 'where are you from'. Ask them the same question! This opens up a conversation they hadn't planned on!
I have since heard that they are now appearing in restaurants as 'plants', ie, posing as waiters or other staff. We haven't experienced this ourselves, but it amazes me that the restaurant proprietors would allow these people to bother their valued clientel! I'd be apt to suggest to the manager/owner that this is not acceptable and would be prepared to leave if it continued! Hopefully this will not be put to the test when we are there in January!
So I suggest you leave your aggression at home for the 'Hairy Crishnas', who do deserve such treatment at times!!! (why are they still around?)

bert