Returned from PV last Friday

Report on your Puerto Vallarta trip, hotel, restaurant, tour, etc.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Home Again :(
Returned from PV last Friday

Post by Home Again :( » Tue Dec 11, 2001 4:36 pm

I just flew back into Minneapolis last Friday after spending a wonderful week in the vallarta area. We stayed at the Mayan Palace in Nuevo. Beautiful Property but a bit out of the way. The whole week was incredible, we saw so much.
The first full day there we took the bus into town and we were talked into renting a jeep for the day. We drove the jeep up into the hills across from Mismaloya Beach. We ate at Chinos Paradise and then contiued up to El Eden. This was an entertaining drive for 2 girls who were not sure where they were headed!
On Sunday we drove the beach to the North Side of the Bay and spent some time at Anclote Beach! Beautiful!! It was so relaxing there! Sunday night we went out to Kahlua were we had a few beers and watched people dancing on the ledge facing the Malecon.
Monday morning we woke early and took the bus into town to do a little shopping before trying to find our way to Yelapa. After shopping we walked to the bus stop to get on the bus that would take us to Boca de Tomatlan beach. We sat at a beach restaurant and had lunch while waiting for the water taxi. Wonderful and the service was great. At 1:00 o'clock we boarded the water taxi to Yelapa. Yelapa was excellent, so layed back. Unfortunately we only had 2 hours before our water taxi was heading back to Boca.
After arriving back in town we went to Viejo Vallarta to watch the sunset. Once realizing that they were not serving food we left to find dinner. We ended up eating at Cheeseburger in Paradise. This was a restaurant similar to many places in Minneapolis but the view of the sunset was great.
Tuesday moring we went on a tour in dunbuggy's. We drove through rivers and down dusty roads up into the mountains. We saw so many cool things on this tour, little villages, great scenery, and farms. We had lunch at a restaurant that I felt was in the middle of nowhere, but the meal was excellent!! Later that night we headed into town and had dinner at Senior Frogs. This was so much fun. There was so much going on here. They had the customers so involved! The waiters were excellent, the food was also impressive. A great experience.
On Wednesday we hung out at the resort. Kayaked through the Mayan Property, layed by the pool, ect. At 4:00 we started for the Marina where we boarded the Marigalante for our sunset dinner cruise. Another wonderful experience. There was constant entertainment. And the pirates were so cute! You could tell that they really loved there jobs they were so happy and fun!
Thursday morning we got up and went out for a day of fishing. The first hour on the boat while we were leaving the bay was great. For the next 6 hours I had an upset stomache. I had no idea I would get sick on a boat! It was still fun to be out on the water but I was unable to sit up!! The last hour bach into the bay was also great. Even though we did not catch much it was a experience that I am glad I had. Later that evening we went into town for dinner. After having such a wonderful time at Senior Frogs we thought we would try Carlos O'Brians. This was also an upbeat restaurant but not nearly as entertaining. Nor was the food as good. Maybe it was the time of evening that caused the lack of entertainment. We left here after dinner at went to the Zoo. What a fun place, and we were there early in the evening! Around midnight it really picked up and people started pooring in the doors!!
We had to be to the airport Friday at 1:00 so we did not have much time. We packed up our stuff, had breakfast and then went to the Paradise Plaza in Nuevo. This shopping Mall was very expensive. But if you do not want to leave Nuevo you do not have many shipping choices.
The airport process was far less time consuming than I anticipated. We did have all of out luggage gone through before checking it. Quick and easy!!
An incredible Vacation!! I can't wait until I bring my husband to Vallarta in April!!

tlippy
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
Location:Central Oregon - where there's snow on the ground 6 months of the year

Re:Returned from PV last Friday

Post by tlippy » Tue Dec 11, 2001 4:53 pm

Thank you for taking the time to post! There has been a lot of discusion about high food prices in the PV restaurants. I have in the back of my mind that 100MXP should buy me most any meal. Am I going to be able to eat? I'm kinda of the unofficial tour guide for 10 relatives that have never been South of the Border before and we're meeting in PV in January for one of my Sisters birthdays. If you have the time and inclination - please post your restaurants in the food section of this bb and some pricing guidlines. Thank you again for taking the time to report.

Jean

Post by Jean » Tue Dec 11, 2001 6:40 pm

Thanks for sharing your trip report. Very helpful;) You mentioned that the Mayan Resort was too far. Where would you suggest staying: the hotel zone or downtown? Also the dune buggy tour sounds fun. I heard you get really dirty, is that true? Is it okay for two 40 something yr. old? thanks for your help.

Post by Home Again :( » Tue Dec 11, 2001 10:52 pm

The reason I felt that the Mayan was too far out for me was that we wanted to go into town during the day, go back to our room shower ect., and then back to town for dinner. The bus ride into town from the Mayan took us from 25 minutes to 45; 15-20 minutes by Taxi, but $15 each way. Personally I would like to be in the middle of all the action. But if you want to spend more time at your resort and less time in town the Mayan would be perfect. Staying in the Marina, Hotel Zone or downtown would lessen your travel time a great deal.

The dune buggy tour would be fun for all ages!! You do get pretty dirt though, especially in the face, but they give you goggles and a mask to wear over your mouth.

Post by Home Again :( » Tue Dec 11, 2001 11:01 pm

I wish I had more knowledge on restaurants. We didn't eat out as much as I would have liked to. My friend that I was traveling with is pregnant and wanted to be a little careful of what she ate. We ate pasta in our room a lot. Most of the meals we ate out were arounf $10-$15 US. I here that if you go into the older part of town that you will find wonderful restaurants at cheap prices. I was told by many people of a restaurant called Brasil. I guess it is a huge multi coursed meal for $12. I am going to try that next trip.!

jomax24

Post by jomax24 » Wed Dec 12, 2001 3:43 am

tlippy (Dec 11, 2001 10:53 a.m.):
Thank you for taking the time to post! There has been a lot of discusion about high food prices in the PV restaurants. I have in the back of my mind that 100MXP should buy me most any meal. Am I going to be able to eat? I'm kinda of the unofficial tour guide for 10 relatives that have never been South of the Border before and we're meeting in PV in January for one of my Sisters birthdays. If you have the time and inclination - please post your restaurants in the food section of this bb and some pricing guidlines. Thank you again for taking the time to report.
100 MXP for an evening meal will be pushing it. Expect to pay pretty much
what you pay at home at an above average restaurant. We actually made a habit of wandering into the restaurant and checking their prices during the day to make our decision for that night's supper. I whine about the prices, but, I do so love that place, I think it's worth it!

bzy1

Post by bzy1 » Wed Dec 12, 2001 4:53 pm

The nice thing about PV is most of the restaurants have their menu's out on the street so you can look at dinners/prices/etc. Saves on the getting seated and then the sticker shock!

You can still find many excellent meals for 100 pesos or so. Most of these are centro or south of the Rio Cuale. You can get a huge breakfast for 35-50 pesos that keeps you fueled until late in the day, with maybe a snack until dinner time at night. Try Memo's Pancake House, Fidencio's or El Tucan.

Best and cheapest burgers are at Archi's a block up from the Malecon.
I also have eaten at Gaby's, which is comida corrida- (full meal of the day with a juice or tea type drink/ taxi drivers know where it is) Cheap! There is also a few places that sell rotisserie chicken and potatos for a few bucks- one on Vallarta, one near Rizo's market. (pack it up, and eat on the Malecon- BUT, you may entice a stray pup to watch mournfully as you eat!)

Excellent taco stands are plentyful for a lunch or after-bar snack. Look for cleanliness- like bags on plates,meats kept cold with ice, and a bunch of locals eating. (they get sick from food poisoning just as we do, so the more locals, the better- word gets around fast) I always make a few trips to the taco stands each trip and I never get sick...(12 pesos, 2 chicken quesos with beans and a bottle of coke- yum!)

The Burro Bar usually has a deal on Margarita's and buckets of Corona's. They also have a shrimp plate that's a good deal. A good place for sun, beach and lunch.

Cafe de Olla used to be a good inexpensive place for excellent BBQ- prices have risen a bit, but still the food is good. I like El Torito for BBQ chicken- also a great place to catch a football game on TV. Check out the Ladies Night also.

Asedero's has a multi course carne meal, tacos, chicken, beef, sausage, etc. Sometimes really good, sometimes not so great- but cheap if you want to fill up on meat. About $8.00 usd. Brasils is a bit more, but better selction.

Fajita Republic and Pipi's both have excellent fajitas. If you go to Fajita Republic, try the Mayan Cheese Sticks- yummmmm.

I go back to PV early January, so I'll be scouting out new and inexpensive places to eat... I'll post a report with prices etc. to help out future travellers.

mikey & gaby

Post by mikey & gaby » Thu Dec 13, 2001 12:54 am

Folks,
I read about lots of people talking about buckets of Corona, How many beers do they usually serve in one of these buckets? and what price usually. I have never tried Corona..looks pretty light? will I need several buckets to get my fill? I am a big beer drinker but our beer is a little stronger here in Canada. Any recommendations on some other more strong beers to try down there?

SPUD2

Post by SPUD2 » Sat Dec 15, 2001 8:51 am

Bucket of beer normally 3 beer (325 ml bottles ,but also been served smaller bottles).
A bucket of 3 at Burros bar is 30 pesos, Corona is something like our Canadian mass produced beer (as opposed to micro brew)
If you like a heavier more tasty beer try Negro Modello or Indio(don't know who makes it.

jomax24

Post by jomax24 » Mon Dec 17, 2001 1:20 am

I'm not a beer drinker, I prefer a good shot of tequila myself
,but, my hubby is a great Canadian Hoser eh? He says Pacifico tastes the most like Canadian beers and likens it to Lethbridge Pilsner. Corona's ok too, but, get a slice of lime to take away the "green" taste. And yes, you will be able to drink a pile of Mexican beer!