Got back 4 days ago

Report on your Puerto Vallarta trip, hotel, restaurant, tour, etc.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

mrmike9
Got back 4 days ago

Post by mrmike9 » Mon Nov 25, 2002 6:37 am

Arrived in PV last Friday for a quick 5-day visit. Caught a cab to our hotel Los Arcos Vallarta. I didn't notice any major hurricane damage in the hotel zone from the road but the Holiday Inn and Sheraton still appear to be closed (they look fine from the street). Blockbuster video in the hotel zone looks like it will open in a few days. When we came towards downtown I was completely shocked. The Malecon is gone! It's all dug up and fenced off from across McDonald's all the way down to Hooters (looks like all the palm trees survived though!). I knew there was some damage to the Malecon from reading this board but I did not realize that it was so sustantial that it had to be demolished! According to the local English newspapers the Malecon is set to open on December 31 in time for New Years.

Once we checked into the hotel and made a quick stop at Andale's we went back downdown for a closer look at the damage. Good News! All the clubs appear to be open and operating. Carlos Obien's is open but is still doing some reconstruction work. It's amazing how most of the businesses have cleaned up and re-opened without having any appearance of sustaining any damage. The only major businesses that I saw still boared up were Baskin Robins, California Kitchen, and Bye Bye Vallarta.

The Los Muertos beach area looks pretty good. Cuates y Cuetes has a roof again and the Sand Bar looks brand new. The Burro Bar may have lost a couple of palm trees but that's about it.

We spent the rest of our short trip doing the usual stuff (eating, drinking, and shopping). Ate at El Torito (got to watch football!), Cafe De Olla, Asaderos, Brasil, and Andale's during our stay. I wish I could find restaurants this good at home!

All in all a good trip but I really missed walking down the Malecon especially Sunday night. My advice for those of your still pondering a trip to PV during the next month or so is: GO! You'll have a great time. We're going back in February.

eleanore

Re:Got back 4 days ago

Post by eleanore » Mon Nov 25, 2002 5:41 pm

What is the situation with dengue fever in PV? We are getting all kinds of conflicting reports. Will be visiting in December.
Thanks

mrmike9

Re:Got back 4 days ago

Post by mrmike9 » Mon Nov 25, 2002 6:15 pm

I read that two local people died and that both of them were diabetics. Haven't heard of any tourists getting it though. I also read that they were trying to get rid of any standing water where mosquitos breed. If you want to be on the safe side bring some insect repellant.

Jackie

Going to PV in December...How are the Hotels?

Post by Jackie » Tue Nov 26, 2002 12:13 am

I will be leaving for PV in December and I have been hearing awful things about the closed hotels and messy beaches due to the hurricane. Can anyone report on the situation if you have been there recently thanks!