Red Light scam

Incidents, either bad or that could be improved in the city.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Willym
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Red Light scam

Post by Willym » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:06 am

First day in my rental car..(not my first time driving in PV tho)..heading out of the hotel zone........stopped by the transito for"going thru a red light" There was 2 of us watching for lights and traffic while i was driving and i KNOW i didnt go thru a red light......but...after both cops shook my hand and took my licence.they told me close to a 1000peso fine and get my licence back next day, at the police station. I asked if i could pay the fine now.......they said yes......but no paper work. I said ok....paid them 200p and the deal was done and off we went. Turns out i hear it was a big scam before Xmas,( fund raiser for their kids presents?) Im sure we stood out as a good target.....rental car.....white as white skin...and good bet we wouldnt argue. So......moral of the story......if stopped, for a red light or speeding,offer to pay the fine rite there....right or wrong..graft is alive and well in PV

palapa_gal
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by palapa_gal » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:53 am

Just remember DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT give them your license. It is illegal for them to take it. Not to mention the fact that now if you were stopped again you would end up with another fine because you are driving without a license. Also, please do not pay your fine at the roadside, I know it is easier but if we continue to let them get away with this scam it will never end.

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Actually...

Post by webmaster » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:55 pm

Actually it's not illegal for Transito's to take your license, they are authorized to do so, you receive a ticket, which is your "drivers license" for up to three days, which is the time you have to solve the issue (pay the ticket). And yes, do not pay the police, a red light in the city is not 1000 pesos (if it's a light in a Federal zone it can be up to 500 dollars), I think it is 350 pesos and you get a 50% discount if you pay it in less than 72 hours and you get your license back when you pay.

Greetings

Mogens

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Tickets

Post by Jennybean » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:01 pm

A lawyer in PV posts at another forum, and her information is a little different on whether it's legal or not to take the license. She indicates it is not legal for them to take it, it is simply common practice and no one has questioned them about the law that states they can do it.

Below is her information that I copied verbatim about them taking licenses:
It is common practice but it doesn't make it legal. They do it in order to make you pay the ticket. Ask them to show you the law which allows them to take your license (Muestrame el fundamento legal) and they cannot. Or simply to offer to go to Las Juntas right away to pay the ticket and ask if they would like to accompany you (Si gusta acompañarme, vamos ahorita a pagar la multa!) - they'll be too fed up with you by now.
She also indicated that by driving away without your license because they have taken it, you have committed another infraction and they CAN ticket you again.

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks

Post by webmaster » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:10 am

Great info [goodpost], I am wrong then I guess. I'll try it out next time I get a ticket, though I have still to get one for bad driving after 8 years living here in Guadalajara... but you never know. And send thanks to the lawyer too. BTW it's 5 days to pay the ticket, not 3 as I said before, checked it in the law.

Greetings

Mogens

thompsonwayne1
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by thompsonwayne1 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:55 pm

We rented a car in Puerto Vallarta, but after 3 days I took it back. When you figure the rental cost plus the additional insurance, which you're crazy not to have, it just made more sense to take taxis.
I've driven all over the world from Europe to Afghanistan to Central America, but now, at age 60 I just don't need the hassle and worry. I didn't like the traffic in Mexico, the lack of stop signs and lights, and the way all the locals drove. Not to mention the pain in the a$$ parking.
At the end of our 10 days we figured we actually saved a bunch of money by using taxis instead of a rental car.
On our second day with the car we wound up with a big scratch down the side. But with some rubbing compound from WalMart and a liberal coating of dust and dirt I hid it well enough to not get noticed when we returned the car.
We also heard that they will inspect the car with a fine tooth comb when you bring it back and love to charge for any little thing.
Taxis....they just made more sense for us.......

wbrittain
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by wbrittain » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:23 am

Great Advice.

palapa_gal wrote:Just remember DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT give them your license. It is illegal for them to take it. Not to mention the fact that now if you were stopped again you would end up with another fine because you are driving without a license. Also, please do not pay your fine at the roadside, I know it is easier but if we continue to let them get away with this scam it will never end.

chi-mike
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by chi-mike » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:05 pm

a few years ago i drove from guadalajara to pv.just as we entered jalisco i was pulled over for speeding ( 80 kph in a 60 zone). I was aware of the "mordita" and was told to not give them any money and they would most likely let you go. well, I was going over the limit and to avoid the hassle I offered 100 pesos ( they wanted 200 ). they acceptted. I now realize my actions only encouraged this behavior. in the future I will tell them to write me the ticket and take my chances.

Willym
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Police?

Post by Willym » Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:43 am

I was alil confused ........driving around PV and up north i see the transito.......and municipal........then also the federal.......who has jurisdiction where? Thanks.........and thanks for all the input

sdonn1020
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by sdonn1020 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:06 am

Taxi and buses are cheaper then renting a car in PV . I've been there 14 times and beleive me do not rent a vehiclen PV.

welovepv
PV Master
PV Master

driving

Post by welovepv » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:14 am

sdonn1020 wrote:Taxi and buses are cheaper then renting a car in PV . I've been there 14 times and beleive me do not rent a vehiclen PV.
I would agree that renting a vehicle is too much for me to handle in PV. I have driven in Chicago, Los Angeles, Dallas, etc...but that was in America and I had not been consuming any beverages!! Let the taxis or the buses be responsible for getting you where you need to go. It's vacation, relax and don't take on the hassle of trying to figure out why in the world you would have to get in the furthest lane to the right in order to turn left!!!!