ATM Warning

Incidents, either bad or that could be improved in the city.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

warminwinter
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
ATM Warning

Post by warminwinter » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:18 pm

We just returned from a week stay in PV, I used our debit card once to get pesos. I used the cash machine just outside the marina, last year I used the same machine twice and had no problems. The last full day before we left to go home I was at one of the internet places across the street from the ATM. I happened to look at our bank account online, and was in shear horror to fine that there were multiple withdrawls from our account and the balance was negative. I signed off and ran over to the ATM to look at it, there must have been a card reader or something on it, there was still pieces of two sided tape on the front of where you put your card into machine. For what its worth maybe check to see what your card withdrawl limits are, even if you don't use your card in Mexico. You can lower your daily limit, so if some how your card gets in the wrong hands it will be harder for them to empty your account.

winterpegman

Post by winterpegman » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:24 pm

Wow..THAT sucks!! Sorry to hear that.

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:54 pm

But how does that work? I mean in all the machines I've ever used, the credit card is stuck in a special slot which is obviously part of the machine design, not something you stick on with double-sided tape! I really don't get it. Sorry to hear about your negative balance, that of course is very $hitty.

Greetings

Mogens

chico98
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by chico98 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:24 am

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:40 am

Actually a better link is: http://www.bustathief.com/2007/08/atm-f ... s-old.html

Still seems a bit too obvious to me...

Greetings

Mogens

chance
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by chance » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:55 am

I always use the ATM's that are at the bank nothing more. Not convenient some times but the best way to protect yourself and your funds 8)

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:38 pm

DELETED

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:28 pm

mexibeach wrote:
chance wrote:I always use the ATM's that are at the bank nothing more. Not convenient some times but the best way to protect yourself and your funds 8)
This happens at the bank ATMs as well - sorry to burst everyone's bubble... fraud is big-time crime right now... You need to not only protect your PIN but change it FREQUENTLY so your account is better guarded against these guys...
And this comes from a veteran police officer's wife too...