disturbing message from craigslist- Any validity?

Incidents, either bad or that could be improved in the city.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:09 pm

This post originated in 2003, I think it took some real digging to reincarnate it again. Saying nothing more than "yeah the same thing happened to us in MEXICO" is not very convincing. Mexico is a big country so if one is to come on here and cry foul, at least state the facts of what happened and where.

KoryLGriffin
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by KoryLGriffin » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:13 pm

SamTHorn wrote:I'm on the fence with this one.

The same thing happened to us in Mexico, so I am curious about foreign authorities....

We had a similar occurrence in Mazatlan. It was scary. I'll never return. Here's a great devise to manger your employment call tracking..
Last edited by KoryLGriffin on Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KoryLGriffin
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by KoryLGriffin » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:15 pm

katnsocal wrote:This post originated in 2003, I think it took some real digging to reincarnate it again. Saying nothing more than "yeah the same thing happened to us in MEXICO" is not very convincing. Mexico is a big country so if one is to come on here and cry foul, at least state the facts of what happened and where.
Wow! you sure take you forums serious!

My advise to you is to get a life and don't take the internet so seriously! Life is too short.

:roll:

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:06 am

In another post you admit to knowing nothing about the area so your reason for telling me to get a life is? I don't panic over something someone posted on Craig's list in 2003 and was proven to be unfounded.

Tranquilo
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by Tranquilo » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:36 pm

Katnsocal,

I've been traveling to Mexico for almost 20 years and have NEVER experienced a negative incident with the possible exception of an attempted mordita that did not occur because of my stupidity of the language.

You are right, the "yeah it happened to me too" posts in and of themselves are of no help, but when coupled with the US State Department's Mexico Travel Warning dated 7/16 indicating increased violence in the states of Nayarit & Jalisco, other media reports, and these vague reports a certain picture is painted that should not be totally discounted. This is why I posted the question regarding Sayulita after the topic was mysteriously moved to the "home owners & business owners only" forum.

I would love to someday purchase a place in Mexico, but these reports are concerning and don't want to be stuck with my head in the sand.

howard_jax
PV Master
PV Master

Post by howard_jax » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:04 pm

We have been going to PV for 26 years and yes, there are changes and reported to be more danger. We have not seen it. We do take what is is said by negative people with a grain of Salt. We DO NOT bury our heads in the sand and do take what we consider prudent care. Less then 100 days and we will be headed PV way. I never mind people posting facts and documented information on safety, but do resent the blown out of proportion reports that are never confirmed for the PV area. I admit that Cuidad Juarez would not be a choice destination for me and maybe a couple of other border cities.

The largest Cartels have for many, many years had vested interest in the Tourist Resorts and would not in any way be trying to destroy their laundering ability. That means they will always do all they can to protect the Tourist, perhaps even better then Law enforcement.

Tranquilo
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by Tranquilo » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:30 pm

I consider your response that the large Cartels having a vested interest in tourism for money laundering purposes to be the most compelling argument for a travelers safety to PV! Thank you, makes sense.

I am just trying to guage the a changing situation. Recall that Bogata (sp?) was once peaceful, drug cartel ravaged, and now peaceful again.

kcowan
PV Master
PV Master

Post by kcowan » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:54 pm

The biggest threat we face in this season is dengue fever from a mosquito bite.:lol:

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:39 am

There is a definite difference between police taking mordida and the drug cartels having all out wars with each other. I am not sticking my head in the sand, By owning a business in PV and I hear a lot more than the average person does that does not live there. Is there a definite increase in crime in Mexico, of course there is, but it is not affecting the general population it is affecting those that are at war with each other over control of the drugs. You have to take into consideration when you hear of the mass slayings like they had at a party in Ciudad Juarez last weekend, who the attendees were at that party. Someone or some people were there that had ties to one of the drug cartels, it was not just Juan's birthday party that they decided to go in and shoot up. Sure there are isolated incidents where the innocent victim gets caught up in the middle of something but that happens with gangs in the states all the time.

I still say, if you keep your nose clean in Mexico and stay out of the areas that are known to be having problems it is as safe for tourists as it has been for the 20+ years I have been going down there. Do I go to some of the border towns I used to go to, no not anymore there is too much "stuff" going on there. One has to pay attention to the Govt. warnings for Mexico and you won't find PV listed as one of the areas to avoid, until it is I will continue to travel there.

MondaviResorts
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

It's a shame..

Post by MondaviResorts » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:50 am

..that someone would want to try to tarnish the reputation of PV and its police force. With all the problems the locals are having with decreased tourist dollars, why would someone want to dissuade even less people to come here.

kcowan
PV Master
PV Master

Re: It's a shame..

Post by kcowan » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:40 pm

MondaviResorts wrote:..that someone would want to try to tarnish the reputation of PV and its police force. With all the problems the locals are having with decreased tourist dollars, why would someone want to dissuade even less people to come here.
Because the US destinations are hurting and they are trying to frighten people so they will go to Florida.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:18 pm

Because the US destinations are hurting and they are trying to frighten people so they will go to Florida.
"Bunk"......How are you going to justify some guy posting something in 2008 on craigslist as being the fault of the U.S.? Maybe you should spend a little more time in the U.S. Mexico and Canada are advertised daily on television as places to vacation. There is no conspiracy trying to keep people from going on vacation outside the U.S.