Crooks Working at Paradise Burger

Incidents, either bad or that could be improved in the city.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

nearly_scammed
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Crooks Working at Paradise Burger

Post by nearly_scammed » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:46 pm

I ate lunch at Paradise Burger with my family and the waiter attempted to scam us by scratching out (with his pen) the "tip" line at the bottom of the check. I had the presence of mind to add up the check myself, which is how I figured out that the waiter had taken the liberty of adding a 20% tip to the final check. I asked him if the tip was mandatory and he said no.

I have never had such a scam attempted on me before. The sad thing is that I would've given him a 15-20% tip because the service was good (we had a baby with us, and the waiter was helpful). He just couldn't help keeping his dirty hands out of the cookie jar. Greedy and dishonest.

If you do decide to eat here, La Mexicana burger was pretty good, but the burritos were God-awful.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:51 pm

I hope you did report it to the management? Simply asking the waiter if the tip was mandatory is not going to stop him from doing it again. If you reported it, what was management's reaction?

cszambelan
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Paradise Burger

Post by cszambelan » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:13 am

That's too bad! I love that place. I go there everytime I visit PV.

TJKSwift
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by TJKSwift » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:42 pm

When we were there in January, our waiter automatically added a 20% tip too. Now keep in mind, we were with our party friends and had several rounds of pretty expensive shots of tequila....so #1, we were not a bunch of work that really required a 20% tip and #2 maybe he thought we had so much that we wouldn't notice. This place was a place that we visited at least once during each trip, if not more....well no more, not going back there again....too many great places that will treat a person fairly

nearly_scammed
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Email Response from Management Below

Post by nearly_scammed » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:19 am

I received this from a man who had "General Manayer" listed as his title under his name:

"My inglish is not to good, but I want to let you know we are recibing your complain, and we going to check who was waiter and these person will be out of this bussisness, is to hard for us to find wood personal, thank you for contact us."

It sounds like they're moving on it, but I plan to follow up to confirm.

roowie
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by roowie » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:53 am

"I'm Latino and speak spanish and make it a point to be respectful in all my interactions."

Just curious, if you speak spanish, did you speak spanish to the "manayer" while in PV? I am also Latino, speak spanish, and travel. I know that when I am in PV, I speak spanish to the locals. And I have remained in contact with a couple of resort employees via email. They write me in spanish, not broken english. Odd that they would not communicate with you in spanish.
Also, just my opinion, but by posting and quoting the email, it seems to me you are trying to demean the emailer by sharing his/her poor english. Maybe I am reading too much into it, but for someone that claims to be respectful in all your interactions, your post here doesn't come across as very respectful.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:10 am

It sounds like they're moving on it, but I plan to follow up to confirm.
It seems like you are putting way to much effort into a "nearly scammed" incident. Bottom line, it wasn't right, you didn't pay it and the management is taking action to fire the waiter, so what is the reason you want to follow up and confirm they did indeed fire him? If management tells you they are looking into it and the guy won't be working there anymore when they figure out who he is, is it really worth the effort?

kcowan
PV Master
PV Master

Post by kcowan » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:48 pm

The fact that he scratched out the tip line indicates that he was not trying to double dip and had just decided to help you. You could have asked him to calculate the right % for you.

I avoid Paradise Burger because the music is too loud.

nearly_scammed
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by nearly_scammed » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:11 pm

roowie wrote: Maybe I am reading too much into it, but for someone that claims to be respectful in all your interactions, your post here doesn't come across as very respectful.
roowie: you are indeed reading too much into it. Simple copy-n-paste job. I sent my email complaint in english because the comments section of the Paradise Burger website is in english. I thought perhaps that meant that the owners and/or managers maintaining it were comfortable with english. also, i failed to mention in my initial post that i did ask the hostess if i could speak to the manager, and she told me that my waiter was also the manager...didn't make sense to bring my complaint to the individual who tried to scam me.

kcowan: that's some mental jiu-jitsu logic if I ever heard some.

katnsocal: bottom line is that i have no tolerance for people trying to cheat me. if i can help someone else avoid getting scammed, i will do so.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:52 am

katnsocal: bottom line is that i have no tolerance for people trying to cheat me. if i can help someone else avoid getting scammed, i will do so.
I do not condone cheating either, but it seems like you are spending way too much enegry on something you will never really know the answer to. If the waiter was the manager, then how do you know the waiter is not the one who is emailing you? If that is the case they will tell you he was fired and you can then post it here in all caps, you will feel justified in getting him fired and he will still be working there.

It just seems like too much enegry to be spending on something that didn't take place because you prevented it, complained about it and have recieved a response about it.

nearly_scammed
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by nearly_scammed » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:16 am

katnsocal wrote:
It just seems like too much enegry to be spending on something that didn't take place because you prevented it, complained about it and have recieved a response about it.
You under-estimate how much energy I have. :D

I have a family member who is in PV for another week and she's going to check on it for me.

Dude, my talk ain't cheap. I'm a passionate individual who follows through.

howard_jax
PV Master
PV Master

Post by howard_jax » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:03 pm

Whatever floats your boat. No one likes to be cheated, that is without saying. However, you caught it, were not cheated. Would you like to have seen a Public Flogging?

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Bad Trip Man

Post by smitty » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:31 pm

Instead of a public flogging - maybe 50 lashes with a wet noodle ? :lol: Nearly scammed is either a lawyer or should be chasing an ambulence somewhere .

roowie
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by roowie » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:57 pm

or just perhaps, move on and let it go. Especially since he was only "nearly scammed" and not "really scammed", or "truly scammed", or
"boy was I scammed", or.....you get the picture

PV cheesehead42
PV Fan
PV Fan

WOW !

Post by PV cheesehead42 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:22 am

Another great example of how the pack mentality assends on any criticism of PV.

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:56 am

roowie wrote:or just perhaps, move on and let it go. Especially since he was only "nearly scammed" and not "really scammed", or "truly scammed", or
"boy was I scammed", or.....you get the picture
I do... :lol: :)

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:49 am

Another great example of how the pack mentality assends on any criticism of PV.
Pack mentality....I hardly think so...it is just there are better things in this life to get your blood pressure up over. Didn't I say "I don't condone cheaters" ? Maybe you need to re-read the entire thread before you think it is a pack mentality that multiple people are saying ...it didn't acutally happen...so chill out and get over it.

pat
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by pat » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:13 pm

Sorry Kat, but it seems like you are the one putting a lot of energy into this thread and you are the one getting your blood pressure up. If you think he is making too much of the situation then why give him so much attention?

Seems to me he just wants to make sure other people are aware of the problem. No big deal.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:28 am

Pat,
I only responded to his direct comments to me. It is not my problem and therefore my blood pressure is not going anywhere. You don't seem to be able to comprehend what I have written here, your loss not mine.

charlieb

Post by charlieb » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:50 am

"Another great example of how the pack mentality assends on any criticism of PV."

My point! No one dares print any crticism(sp) of PV, correctly or not, without the "wrath" decending. Status Quo is the norm and the phrase of the day. Chuck... 8)