September 2008 Dengue in P Vallarta

Incidents, either bad or that could be improved in the city.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

GraceAwake
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
September 2008 Dengue in P Vallarta

Post by GraceAwake » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:39 am

Well all the rain bought it, the dreaded disease DENGUE.

At least 4 people on my street have it, and possibly as many as 8.

Warning. Warning!

:-(9 :-(9

mikeypv
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by mikeypv » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:42 am

Where do you live in PV?

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:00 pm

Since GraceAwake posted this same warning on TA as a first time poster by resurecting a post from 2007 AND has refused to give any details about where she/she/it lives......draw your own conclusions. The end of GA's TA post said "Bad time to visit Vallarta". I would venture a guess GA doesn't live anywhere near PV since no one living in PV has heard of a Dengue outbreak.

winterpegman

Post by winterpegman » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:35 pm

I'd be apt to agree with you kat, but they did in fact post from a PV IP Address. (Those damn IP Addresses!!! :lol: )

GraceAwake
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by GraceAwake » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:08 pm

katnsocal wrote:Since GraceAwake posted this same warning on TA as a first time poster by resurecting a post from 2007 AND has refused to give any details about where she/she/it lives......draw your own conclusions. The end of GA's TA post said "Bad time to visit Vallarta". I would venture a guess GA doesn't live anywhere near PV since no one living in PV has heard of a Dengue outbreak.
PM me and I'll give you my phone number here in PV.
No one heard of it here? I guess you know everyone here huh!
Would you like me to go take photos of the sick people?

My husbands brother died of dengue here last year.
Just trying to warn people. SHeeeeesh!

Two years ago a month before the dengue news hit the local papers
when it was here, and the hospitals were filled with people in the
hallways with Dengue.... I called the CDC in Atlanta and told them
to warn people.
DId they do anything? NOPE

Taught me a lot.

Towns that live on tourist income do NOT tell the truth about what
is happening.. they need tourist money.

I NEVER believe the news anymore. LOLOLOLOL

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:16 pm

You still haven't answered the questions asked of you, what colonia are you living in/ not your PV phone #. No one is asking your street address they just wanted to know what area of town people are getting sick in. And yes, I do know alot of people in PV since I own a business there (never underestimate who you are directing your comments to on the internet). Both mexican and ex-pats can and do read the newspapers, see the trucks spraying in their area, have family all over town, etc.

Calling Atlanta in the US about something you tell them is going on in PV....are you kidding me? They didn't act on it because the United States is not Mx. The officials in PV are very good about getting information out when Dengue breaks out in town. If you live there then you know they go door to door warning people, trucks are out spraying every day and they do put it in the newspaper. Four or five people being sick does not constitute an outbreak. More than four people have died in California this summer from West Nile Virus too but you don't see warnings on a tourist website stating it is a bad time to visit.

I have a background in infectious disease control, so I am not blowing smoke when I say that at least 4 people and possibly 8 is not an outbreak. Dengue hemorrhagic fever is fatal in about 5 percent of cases, mostly among children and young adults so one case is not reason to sound the alarm and post things like "This is a bad time to visit Puerto Vallarta".

I have to admit I got a kick out of your statement "Towns that live on tourist income do NOT tell the truth about what is happening.. they need tourist money." You must only read the tourist newspapers because the mexican newspapers report everything including the gory, graphic photos. Not to mention that this is slow season right now and it is not like they are going to stop thousands of people from visiting PV right now if they announce it.

If you had answered the people actually living in PV when you sounded the alarm on TA I never would have responded to this post, instead you posted once to an old post from 2007 on TA and then never responded to any of the locals questions about where the outbreak supposedly was. Then you posted on this website also. Kinda like saying the sky is falling and then running for cover.

howard_jax
PV Master
PV Master

Post by howard_jax » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:33 pm

Very well said Kat. I know that there are 2 other boards in PV. I read one and have never seen anything about Dengue Fever on it at all and it is loaded with people that live there. Nary a word.

GraceAwake
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Unbelievable

Post by GraceAwake » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:52 pm

I come on here to try and HELP someone who could use the warning,
and all I get is
impatience when I don't immediately respond to where I live
(I do consider this private but like I said am/was willing to talk in person
if PM'd)
no personal pms to check me out
called an "it"
ganged up on and laughed at.

Ive never seen such a group of immature, mean people.
I guess my warning really triggered fear.

Goodbye and don't worry
I wont bother to participate here again
unless there are some apologies.

Peace
Grace

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:54 am

GraceAwake you joined 3 days ago, nothing in your profile, and all 3 of your posts are regarding this same subject. GraceAwake, SnoozySleeping, doesn't really tell if the person is male or female. I don't see where you were ganged up on or picked on....people only wanted more information. You choose to ignore the question and tell me to send you a PM and you will give me your PV phone #. I didn't want to set up a phone date. Eight people being sick does not constitute posting "do not visit PV messages" on several websites. I will apologize to you when the powers that be announce there is indeed an outbreak of Dengue fever in PV, until then no one owes you an apology when you choose not to answer the specific question of what area this outbreak is in PV. Mikeypv asked "where do you live in PV", I asked what colonia is affected and you want everyone to send you PM's for answers to this question. If you put it out there for the entire www to see then you need to put the info out there that people need to know since you say the town will never tell them.

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Web culture

Post by webmaster » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:15 pm

There's too much irrelevant information online, there is no way to sort through it all unless people are willing to back up their statements with facts and information.

I did a search online and I found the following, certainly not a subject the State of Jalisco covers up, as implied by Grace (oh, another conspiracy?!):
http://www.informador.com.mx/jalisco/20 ... dengue.htm
You can run it though http://www.google.com/language_tools?hl=en for a translation.

So 20 cases in all of Jalisco, not an outbreak if you ask me, but I'm not an expert, Kat knows more about that than I.

Grace, instead of becoming all defensive, just answer the questions posted by the others, not responding them implies you were just trying to scare people and/or don't have any real info/sources to back your story up with.

People on this forum are grownups and are skeptical and don't fall for anything at face value any more :-)

Don't expect an apology when people were just trying to make sure you aren't just an alarmist.

Greetings,

Mogens

davidmcguire760
PV Fan
PV Fan

Hello PV Locals (visiting Oct 18 to 26, 2008)

Post by davidmcguire760 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:16 am

I just found this site a few days ago and today is the first time I looked in this particular section.

It looks like we have some PV Locals here. I have been coming to PV every year that I can afford it since around 1994. I couple of times my friends had to back out of the trip and I had to come alone. Unfortunately, that is happening again this year.

I will be there from the 18th to the 26th of October, staying at Villa Del Mar/Villa Del Palmar (which is where I own my timeshare). I'm looking for friend to keep there as I plan to continue coming back as often as possible and when I retire I would love to retire there.

Also, I know this is a long shot, but I lost contact with a friend there because his email is not working any more. I don't know his last name but I am hoping that a with a few details maybe someone knows him and where I can contact him. His first name is Phil. When I first met him, he was part owner of Tia Maria's restaurant. Later he split with Marco and started booking fishing charters. He likes to make his own lures. Anyway, it isn't much to go on but if anyone knows him, I would love his contact info. He was a good guy and a good friend to have.

teatrolimon
PV Guru
PV Guru

phil

Post by teatrolimon » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:24 am

phil peterson hasbach

219 fco i madero emiliano zapata
olas altas 48380

he books chartrs with chappy charters ill find him for you
pm me with your contact information ad ill do my best

bruce