Recent News

Incidents, either bad or that could be improved in the city.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

oneistwo
PV Guru
PV Guru
any new info?

Post by oneistwo » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:17 pm

Any new information since this? Like a description of the intruder?

(Any chance this incident can have its own thread?)

According to the Tribuna de la Bahía newspaper (Feb 12, 2009), "a tourist from San Francisco California was stabbed several times while he was in his room in La Palapa Condominiums, along with his wife who was also injured and is in delicate condition. The victims were Timothy Connor, 47 years of age and his wife Susan Connor, 41.

At 4:18 am on Wednesday February 11, 2009, two Americans were assaulted in the Romantic Zone of Puerto Vallarta. The tragedy occurred while a stranger entered the apartment through the terrace causing noise that attracted the guest's attention. Once Timothy Connor confronted the intruder the results were lamentable. He was stabbed twice on the neck and a third time on the left side of his chest.

During the fight, the wife, Susan Connor, intervened resulting with an injury on her left arm. She alerted the building security, located on Pulpito Street #124 in Colonia Emiliano Zapata in the Romantic Zone. It was impossible to save the victim's life while it was also impossible to arrest the murderer although this colonia has enough vigilance.

It was the receptionist of La Palapa Condominiums, Carlos Fernandez Macias, who solicited help from the police. The police arrived in patrol PV-119, led by Isaias Castro Garcia. The case was taken care of by the agent, Hector Villalvazo Medina, from the public ministry of the General Procuradoria of Justice of the State of Jalisco."

Early Times
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by Early Times » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:14 pm

No nothing. Wish there was, but sadly there is not.

oneistwo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by oneistwo » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:36 pm

I couldn't help but be curious whether the description came close to the kid who snatched my girlfriend's purse last year. About 15, about 5'7, maybe a hair shorter, lean. I got a good look at him from the back as he actually made eye contact with my girlfriend, who was walking in front of me.

Criminals escalate as people take preventive measures. Betters car locks and alarms, for instance, led to carjackings. So if pickpockets just arent' scoring...

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:15 am

You just described half the 15-year-old male population in PV. Was his name Juan?

Sorry I couldn't resist. :lol: :wink:

oneistwo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by oneistwo » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:48 pm

Of course it would be a long shot. But he was a little taller than average, young not old, lean not stocky and a criminal who could have upped the ante to a knife if he had to. At least as good as the descriptions on the evening news (which, I agree, are ridiculous).

In any case, I think it's too bad there was a fight. Self-defense teachers say when confronted with a weapon, give them the money if that's what they want. In a posting last year someone said if anyone tried to snatch her purse, the males in her group would beat him up. I advised against that assumption. All us males imagine what we would do if we caught somebody. Sad.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:04 pm

But he was a little taller than average, young not old, lean not stocky and a criminal who could have upped the ante to a knife if he had to.
What is average? I am not trying to argue with you, but I know Mexicans that are 4'10' and I know mexicans that at 6"4". Most young guys in PV around the age of 15 are not stocky, they are lean, athletic and as you found out can run pretty darn fast. They can climb a tree or a building like a monkey. Murphy's law the coconuts are always as high up in the tree as they can be. With all the great artists in PV they need to hire someone who can work as a sketch artist for the police and it might be alot easier to catch someone.

ronald
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ronald » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:01 pm

sketch artist for the police and it might be alot easier to catch someone.
or at the very least make it easier to find someone to reach the coconuts.

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:49 pm

Concerned American.... I cannot begin to imagine the pain Tim's family and friends are feeling...
Your friend was the innocent victim of a vicious inhuman attack..
I send my condolences to all involved and I pray that the person responsible for you friends untimely death will be caught and punished...

Concerned American from what I have read your friend Tim sounds like he was a wonderful person.. E)E

I am posting the link to Tim's Guestbook for those that wish to pay their

Respect.... and to show support for the family....

http://www.legacy.com/gb2/default.aspx? ... 3392484571

Best to you and yours
Last edited by Plus4 on Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:01 am

or at the very least make it easier to find someone to reach the coconuts.
Good one Ronald! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

bvopcheryl
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by bvopcheryl » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:40 am

We have been going to PVR since 1996 and have never been afraid to go anywhere. I must admit this year when we go we will close our slider when we leave our room and at nite which we have never done, but I am not giving up my trip because of a few isolated incidents. We are from a small town in Idaho and things like that happen here also. I just don't want to be afraid to go anywhere anymore. We went to Hawaii in Nov and the same kind of thing happens there as everywhere else. I refuse to let it ruin my 1 week a year in PVR. May 2-9 here we come!!!

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:14 pm

seanmac
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

PV over the years

Post by seanmac » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:14 am

I am from Vancouver. I first came to PV in 1974 when I was 8 years old, vacationed hear every 2-3 years and watched the city grow. I moved here almost 6 years ago.

PV has it's problems just like any other place, some are unique to a resort community, most you find just about anywhere.

I have lived in areas of the city which were almost completely Mexican, and I have lived in the areas dominated by internationals. I loved living with the Mexicans. Great family values and without a doubt the kindest and most genuine people I have met on the whole. And it is great to have "people like me" around as well. PV offers both.

I feel pretty safe here, there are times when I don't but those times have been pretty few and far between. I feel safer here than in Vancouver by a long shot.

The other day I was at a local corner store and there were a couple Federal Police officers having a coffee. We got to talking and they both said how relieved their families were when they were posted to Puerto Vallarta "because it's safe here"

I am sorry for the couple and family that suffered this tragedy, it is awful really. But this is a one off, not an indictment on the whole city.

Just ask the police.

davepl
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by davepl » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:35 am

ronald wrote:I too live in a 'high crime' community, and just love to go to Puerto Vallarta in order to relax and get the stress out of my daily life... and boy does it ever work. We just came back from a week in Paradise and feel like new humans. I know there are some incidents there that are not to appealing, and you can't be stupid and go to places that invite trouble, but our vacation choices will always have PV as the # 1 spot. Cuba is definitely second. The U.S. :lol: is most definitely a scary place as well, so we stopped visiting there quite a few decades ago.

Of course there are places in Canada (Hastings Street in Vancouver for example because of the crime and Regina because of the water) that we don't wish to visit either.
Typical anti-american BS. Check your stats. The murder rate in Regina is 10-14 per 100,000. In the US overall it's less than half that, 5 per 100,000.

According to the La Ronge Northerner, Justin Naytowhow just killed in your peaceful little village, and if that's the only murder this year, that puts your rate at 50 per 100,000, which is ten times that of the US.

I believe PV is around 3-5 per 100,1000 per year, half that of Regina. So you're safer in PV than in Saskatchewan.

ronald
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ronald » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:55 am

You read it wrong... but I can see you did that with the intent of my post as well. Sucks to be me I guess. The murder occurred in a village a good 4-5 hours drive from La Ronge.... Justin was the 18 year old that was the one murdered, and it was a 17 year old from that same community that did it. I have no idea why it made it into our local paper.... must have been a slow week here. I had to Google it to find out, and I see everybody other news outlet in the Province seems to have covered it as well. Not that it's not newsworthy, but must have been a slow week everywhere. That's why we have all those American channels and the BBC World news on TV.... let's us see what the real world is like I guess. :D

And: as I acknowledged: I live in a high crime community... I can remember a year a decade or more back where we had six murders that year.... but in this case you are using faulty stats, and even if there had been an incident this year.... your ratio would still be wrong. With all that... that's why I don't give a rat's petunia about whether or not PV has a crime rate... We go there because we like it... and to us... it is very safe.