Pollution?

Incidents, either bad or that could be improved in the city.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

KathleenStrobb
PV Fan
PV Fan
Pollution?

Post by KathleenStrobb » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:06 am

I am wondering about the pollution. Does the city have any kind of water treatment plants ect? I stayed on the side of the mountain this past month . I would watch this strange looking body of water expand out from the ocean nearest the church and grow bigger and bigger throughout the day. Please don't tell me it is pollution. I found it very disturbing.

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:12 am

Sounds like runoff from a river which brings silt down from the hills and mountains, if so, then it's not pollution per se. Real pollution, the one we really need worry about is normally not very obvious and rarely visible.

Greetings

Mogens

KathleenStrobb
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by KathleenStrobb » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:35 am

thank you, that makes me feel better.

charlieb

Post by charlieb » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:51 am

I'm pretty sure Mogens if correct about the river runoff into the bay. I still wonder, though, about the pollution. We all have seen many people that live upriver bathing, washing clothes, going to the bathroom, etc in the river. All this goes downriver and into the bay. I would immagine that the further away from that visable "fan" of darker material from the river you get, the less concentrated the waste would be. Chuck... 8)

KathleenStrobb
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by KathleenStrobb » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:27 pm

I guess one would probably not notice it unless you are higher up the mountain. I worry a little just because of the signs in the restrooms, not to throw toilet paper in the toilet. Is that because there is no facilities to break down the paper?

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:32 pm

Sure, not knowing which river it is, nor the population that may be using it, there is a chance there'll be some anthropic pollution, but if you know a bit about the biology of it all, organic material is incorporated in the food chain quite fast. If rivers are used by a high density of humans, without treatment they can overrun the natural recycling. Puerto Vallarta in general has, from what I know, quite a few water treatment plants, see here: http://www.seapal.gob.mx

Greetings

Mogens

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:33 pm

KathleenStrobb wrote:I guess one would probably not notice it unless you are higher up the mountain. I worry a little just because of the signs in the restrooms, not to throw toilet paper in the toilet. Is that because there is no facilities to break down the paper?
Nope that's just because they have bad tubing or low water pressure.

Mogens

KathleenStrobb
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by KathleenStrobb » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:59 pm

Thanks again for the info. My husband is a plumber and he is amazed how things are so differently piped. Its a different world , but that is also why I love it there. A whole nother world only 5 hours away.

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:04 pm

KathleenStrobb wrote:Thanks again for the info. My husband is a plumber and he is amazed how things are so differently piped. Its a different world , but that is also why I love it there. A whole nother world only 5 hours away.
Good thing you take it as an adventure... I find it exasperating at times, but there are other things that make up for it (luckily :-) ).

Mogens

KathleenStrobb
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by KathleenStrobb » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:15 pm

Ignorance is not bliss

chico98
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by chico98 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:54 pm

not to throw toilet paper in the toilet
CLOGS UP THE TOILETS
EVEN SOMETIMES WITH A GOOD LONG SOLID s***
GETS MESSY

CHICO
Last edited by chico98 on Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:56 pm

Did we really need that Chico? :? Well built houses in civilized areas don't have those types of issues.

Mogens

chico98
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by chico98 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:58 pm

BUT STILL
IT HAPPENS
I HAVE MODERN FACITIES
TELL ALL TO PUT THEIR WASTE PAPER IN A BASKET PROVIDED FOR THEM
AT TIMES THEY DO CLOG UP

CHICO

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:25 pm

In a basket... so unhygienic, have to always tell visitors to use the toilet for that, they have become so accustomed to crummy tubing even in other countries...

Mogens

SundanceJack
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by SundanceJack » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:00 pm

mgallard wrote:Did we really need that Chico? :? Well built houses in civilized areas don't have those types of issues.

Mogens
Actually Chico is right. Paper towels are not made to break down rapidly in water, but toilet tissue is. My Uncle worked in the Procter and Gamble paper plants for thirty plus years making the stuff. Most public US restrooms that I have seen have signage asking patrons not to throw paper towels into the toilet.

Your individual house is a different matter because it is not subjected to the higher traffic levels that a vacation rental or high traffic area would be.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:33 am

Actually Chico is right. Paper towels are not made to break down rapidly in water, but toilet tissue is.
I am sure Chico is talking about toilet paper, not paper towels. Almost every public restroom in PV tells you not to put paper in the toilet (meaning toilet paper). Toilet tissue/paper clogs up pipes in most places in PV due to the sewer pipe construction The newer construction has newer plumbing/sewer technology.