Debit Card Fraud Alert

Incidents, either bad or that could be improved in the city.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

MichaelEL
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Debit Card Fraud Alert

Post by MichaelEL » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:28 am

Warning.
We thought it was random, and that we had been spared the fraud attacks we heard about from others, where debit card numbers and pins were captured and used for fraudulent transactions and withdrawals.

Surprise. We had not checked our accounts in a week, and while we were napping, bad boys launched attacks on both our debit cards, $ 1,766 on one and $ 3,800 on the other, a flurry of activity all in a single week.
Interesting, most days had two withdrawals and a couple of days had three in the same day. Even I can’t do that.

We have blocked our accounts, and we *think* the banks are going to refund the nasty transactions.

For what it’s worth, as others have reported, the capture of our card numbers and pin may have come from the ATM machines at Mega in Bucerias, the most common place we use our debit cards, and the only place we have used both of them.

If any of you have any information about safe places to use ATMs or if there is any way to report the fraudulent activity to Mega, please let us know.

Thanks,
Michael

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:15 am

There is quite a bit of information on the trip advisor forum about this particular location and atm fraud. It seems to have been ongoing for a while which is rather strange since it has been reported by several people who have all been victims. One of the ATM's people talked about was one inside the store with a security guard standing right next to it.

There was also mention of an HSCB ATM machine that people had trouble getting their money out of and had to keep messing with, so they were questioning if it was that one too. This is the reason I very seldom use my ATM or Credit Cards in PV. I use my credit card at my resort and that's about it.

Edited to add: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1 ... Coast.html

Big Brian
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by Big Brian » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:41 am

I have been back about a month and same thing happened to me. The only ATM that I used was the HSBC in the grocery store in front of GCP. They got my pin and made a copy of my card. Luckly I caught it pretty quick and Bank of America gave me all my cash back. They did the same thing twice a day and balance inquiries. Of well its the price you have to pay every now and then to relax.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:21 am

Sounding more and more like an inside job within HSBC bank. It is happening in Bucerias and PV at HSBC ATM's, unless their ATM's are designed to take the skimmers less noticably than other banks.

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Case Closed

Post by smitty » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:31 pm

Rest assured MichaelEl our resident Inspector Clouseau has solved the case ! Image

doris
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by doris » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:02 pm

I can really use your help Mr. Michael. I just checked my Lloyd's debit card and it emptied of 24,400 pesos on July 20, 21, 22. I am trying to figure out what to do about it. Where did you go to begin an investigation? The card was first used at the Mega in Bucerias. Doris

doris
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Debit card fraud in Bucerias

Post by doris » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:13 pm

I just posted a message about my debit card from Lloyds being emptied. I am in the USA right now and Lloyds canot do anything about it for me. They told me to go to Scotiabank as they issued the card. Does anyone know of a good pertson I can talk to at Scotiabank in ENGLISH in Bucerias or Mexico City or puerto Valarta?

krab119
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by krab119 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:53 am

Hi,been a victim of this fraud also...The sad part is i can't pinpoint a certain shop because i usually transfer from different stores when i shop... :( :(

Regards,
krab119

secureatm
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by secureatm » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:59 pm

In fact a few measures that we can take, that can be effective in protecting our best interests. To avoid being a victim of credit card fraud ensure that our personal details are securely kept as possible. If there is one thing we can do to protect our self from a scam it is to keep details safe.

PIN number is needed for offline transactions so it is more important than ever to keep our PIN number to our self, never tell anyone else as well as bank internet passwords. Also don't write down any financial information that is private. To solve an issue of trying to remember PIN numbers with the increasing number of cards we hold, then we can change them to something more memorable at our banks ATM. Just don't choose something that is obvious like date of births.

atmsecurity.com
Last edited by secureatm on Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

ronald
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ronald » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:16 pm

When my bank told me I could choose my own PIN, I opted to use birthdays with the alphabet only... Works fine... but not all ATM's are the new variety and can accommodate my needs. :lol:

PV_Fubar
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by PV_Fubar » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:32 am

I use ATM's at Mega when in Bucerias all the time when we are on holidays. Heading back in a couple of weeks.
Is this still a problem?

fUbAr

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:56 am

I checked quickly on Trip Advisor and there doesn't seem to be any current discussion about it. You might want to post your question on the Nuevo Vallarta forum on Trip Advisor which now covers the Bucerias area. People posting there are usually regular travelers or ex-pats in that area.

Suzanne
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

HSBC bank near the Pelicanos

Post by Suzanne » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:44 pm

Has anyone had problems with their debit card being accessed after using the HSBC ATM machine near the Pelicanos in PV?

glacierroasters
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by glacierroasters » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:31 am

I'm of the belief that if you use a card in MX- you should report it lost or stolen as soon as you get back home, seriously.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:07 am

You can accomplish the same thing without the hassle of reporting it stolen or lost. I call my credit card company and tell them the dates I will be gone out of the country. Any charges that come in after that date are blocked by them as non-authorized purchases.

glacierroasters
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by glacierroasters » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:24 pm

katnsocal wrote:You can accomplish the same thing without the hassle of reporting it stolen or lost. I call my credit card company and tell them the dates I will be gone out of the country. Any charges that come in after that date are blocked by them as non-authorized purchases.
Except 4 months later when a charge comes in on Canada Air for a flight from France to Australia or something similar. It has happend to me the two times I did not report them lost or stolen.

Know what I mean?

Just my 2 cents

:wink:

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:11 am

Nope, I don't see what you mean. When I call and give them dates of this date to this date I will be in Mexico, there should not be a charge come in 4 months later that was approved for a ticket on an airline or anything else. If they were to use it immediately, during the time I was in Mexico it wouldn't take 4 months to show up on my bill. I am just saying it is a hassle I don't want to deal with cancelling a credit card account and getting a new account, number, new pin, etc. I have had some pretty large purchases and I still had to call their 800 # to verify that it was indeed me using the card but after I got home, no unauthorized charges have ever come through.

I have noticed some banks/creditcards are quite a bit more hassle to deal with than others are. :(

glacierroasters
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by glacierroasters » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:36 pm

I guess my point - use the current cc#- and when you return home, get them to issue a new card/new # (reported lost or stolen)

Zero chances of your numbers being sold and used down the road on internet purchases. Every card I have not done this...has ended up showing up with charges down the road.

Bottom line, there is a lot of corruption in the World, too much money to resist, this was a pretty simple fix is all I ma saying, at no cost to the consumer or headaches.

Trust me - unauthorized charges...in this day and age are still at the very least a inconvenience and yet another possibility for ID Theft...just not worth the risk.

my 2 cents

waarce
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by waarce » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:00 pm

I only use ATMs in banks which are safer, and I mean safer, not fool proof.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:48 am

Bottom line, there is a lot of corruption in the World, too much money to resist,
I get your meaning/theory Glacier but with all the corruption in the "world" as you said, one would have to be having them change the account numbers on a constant basis every time you used your card. Unfortunately it isn't just a Mexico thing, it can happen at the restaurant you just went out to dinner at, the hotel you stayed at last weekend, etc.

I very seldom use my credit card in PV, but my resort requires it when I check-in. I have made a couple of very large purchases and because I had called my credit card company and told them I would be in Mexico and the amount was so large, they still required a verification phone call before they would approve the transaction. Maybe it varies by bank but it couldn't get any safer than that.

I guess it comes down to a personal comfort level.....whatever makes you comfortable and works for you. :D