Violence in Sayulita & Puerto Vallarta

Incidents, either bad or that could be improved in the city.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Tranquilo
PV Fan
PV Fan
Violence in Sayulita & Puerto Vallarta

Post by Tranquilo » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:30 pm

A friend of mine is interested in visiting Sayulita & saw on their forum that a post regarding the safety of Sayulita was moved to an owners only forum. They attempted to re-post the topic & it was mysteriously deleted.

Does anyone have knowledge of the situation in Sayulita & PV?

:(

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:41 pm

I think you need to provide or get your friend to provide a description of the violence. Violence is a broad term if you don't have any specifics. There was an incident closer to Tepic a month or two ago that involved a fake roadblock. It involved locals who were pulled over and robbed of their personal belongings and well as their trucks and SUV's. Besides that there was an ATM stolen but the same guys had stolen ATM's in PV and were ultimately caught in PV. Both of these incidents did not involve tourists or ex-pats. The ATMS were stolen late at night and it was only locals driving trucks or SUV's that were stopped in the roadblock late at night.

Do you know what specific incidents your friend is referring to?

JeanieRich
PV Fan
PV Fan

Re: Violence in Sayulita & Puerto Vallarta

Post by JeanieRich » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:20 am

My girlfriend's parents live there; they love it in Sayulita, this sounds like a very unusual report the safety issue that is, I would really check it out for validity, this is a peaceful area from what I have always heard and seen. I've been going to P.V. since the late 80's and never seen any problems there!

You may want to check with the moderator if there is one here, that's how messages get moved or whatever they feel is necessary I think.
Paco Paco wrote:A friend of mine is interested in visiting Sayulita & saw on their forum that a post regarding the safety of Sayulita was moved to an owners only forum. They attempted to re-post the topic & it was mysteriously deleted.

Does anyone have knowledge of the situation in Sayulita & PV?

:(

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:16 am

Unfortunately crime happens even in the best of areas. I was just asking for clarification on what type of crime they were referring to. It's hard to know if it is happening or not if you don't know exactly what "IT" is.

Tranquilo
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by Tranquilo » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:53 pm

katnsocal wrote:I think you need to provide or get your friend to provide a description of the violence. Violence is a broad term if you don't have any specifics. There was an incident closer to Tepic a month or two ago that involved a fake roadblock. It involved locals who were pulled over and robbed of their personal belongings and well as their trucks and SUV's. Besides that there was an ATM stolen but the same guys had stolen ATM's in PV and were ultimately caught in PV. Both of these incidents did not involve tourists or ex-pats. The ATMS were stolen late at night and it was only locals driving trucks or SUV's that were stopped in the roadblock late at night.

I heard about the incident in Tepic. There was also news of beheadings in Cancun. The reason for my inquiry was that someone had inquired about violence in Sayulita and the topic was moved from the general forum to the owners only forum. My friend reposted the topic as we plan to visit Sayulita/PV in the fall and it was deleted. The lack of tranparency concerned us.

Tranquilo
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by Tranquilo » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:54 pm

katnsocal wrote:I think you need to provide or get your friend to provide a description of the violence. Violence is a broad term if you don't have any specifics. There was an incident closer to Tepic a month or two ago that involved a fake roadblock. It involved locals who were pulled over and robbed of their personal belongings and well as their trucks and SUV's. Besides that there was an ATM stolen but the same guys had stolen ATM's in PV and were ultimately caught in PV. Both of these incidents did not involve tourists or ex-pats. The ATMS were stolen late at night and it was only locals driving trucks or SUV's that were stopped in the roadblock late at night.

Sorry my response to JeanieRich was meant for KatnSocal.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:59 am

Sorry, I don't know what forum you read it on that it was moved to the "owners forum". The incident in Cancun can't reflect on what is going on clear across the country. From everything I have heard there has been no increase in violence that should be of a worry to anyone. Since I do own a business in PV I do have ears on the ground there 24/7 and I usually hear about anything major that happens, haven't heard of anything that should be of a worry.

Tranquilo
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by Tranquilo » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:21 am

Katnsocal,

This was in the Sayulitalife forum. You're right, it is not logical to draw conclusions of what happened in Cancun clear across the country except that there has been escalated drug violence across Mexico and when one sees the topic posted in a general forum and then moved without explanation to an home owners/business owners only forum curiousity is piqued.

Thank you for the low-down. :)

kcowan
PV Master
PV Master

Post by kcowan » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:34 pm

The group of tourists that were on horseback and got robbed was one such incident. It could happen anywhere, but when times are tough, it happens where opportunity presents itself. This was in Feb/Mar in the jungle outside PV. The caution was to avoid taking wallets and jewelry when going into the jungle (and make sure the operator is trustworthy).

Also gangs that mascarade as police can wreck havoc. Avoid traveling in remote areas at night.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:18 pm

The group of tourists that got robbed on horseback I don't consider escalating violence in the area. It certainly isn't drug cartel related. Those incidents have happened off and on for the past 20+ years. They are crimes of opportunity when someone gets the bright idea in their head they need money.

kcowan
PV Master
PV Master

Post by kcowan » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:30 am

Mexicans need money more than ever now with the decline in
- building new condos
- US tourist traffic
so a little extra caution is in order here just like everywhere else. :lol:

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:19 am

Here is a link to a story about Sayulita, it pretty much describes it just as it is:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/t ... cation=rss