Big Rental Problem.... Any advice would be great.

Incidents, either bad or that could be improved in the city.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

barcad
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Big Rental Problem.... Any advice would be great.

Post by barcad » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:22 pm

Hello....

I am renting a studio apartment in the city of Puerto Vallarta.

I have come to the city on vacation, but after spending almost a month in the property I feel that I can no longer live in the property because of the severe noise from traffic and also the family of the landlady who live in the same block.

I have paid rent on the property for the entire duration of my stay, until 15th February 2011, plus a deposit of 1,500 Pesos. My monthly rent is 3,000 Pesos per month.

Today is 15th December, so I have 2 months worth of rental money and my deposit still invested in this property.

I informed the landlady of my intention to move out of the property, and I offered to let her keep the 1,500 Peso deposit. She has refused to refund any of my rent, and insisted that she will only refund my deposit.

Is she within her rights to do this? We do not have a written contract, but I do have a signed receipt for all the cash I have given her.

She has said that she does not have the cash to pay me back, even if she wanted to.

HELP !!!!

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:58 am

Without a written contract she can do whatever she wants to do. You have nothing in writing that says you can move early and get your money back; it is pretty hard to fight for something that is not in writing. Even with a contract I think you would have a problem getting any money back because you paid up front for a certain period of time.

If our you don't want to lose your investment you better re-think just staying there or eat your losses. Have you found another suitable place to rent for your remaining time in PV?

This is high season in PV and most people that are down there for the winter months are already down there therefore chances of her renting it for two months at this late date are pretty slim.

John Shaft
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Next Time In PV

Post by John Shaft » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:18 am

I would think that PV Oracle's advose is sound. Where you seek a long term rental in the future, visit the property first at different hours of the day. Yes I have stayed in condos on busy streets in Mexico and South America for the past 30 years. Seasoned travelers pre-visit and just hang out on the street near the condo a few hours to scope things out. This is how you become seasoned by learning from mistakes. Your landlord is just trying to make a living and has no duty to return your money.
While staying in Rio de Janeiro, Brasil, prostitutes would fight over customers all night. I called out from the balcony for some quiet time being 3:00AM. One very aggressive and yet beautiful "working girl" told me they were doing their jobs, and if I did not go back to bed she would come upstairs, rape me and take all my money-go figure.
Moral is just learn from mistakes. Tchau

^^BATMAN^^
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by ^^BATMAN^^ » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:06 pm

"One very aggressive and yet beautiful "working girl" told me they were doing their jobs, and if I did not go back to bed she would come upstairs, rape me and take all my money-go figure. "

You should have said "You can't rape the willing!!" :lol: