Tours/Timeshare/Street Vendors - Warning

Incidents, either bad or that could be improved in the city.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Morgan Hill Guy
Re:Tours/Timeshare/Street Vendors - Warning

Post by Morgan Hill Guy » Tue Aug 03, 2004 12:16 am

I have to agree with the others regarding the T/S people. Yes they can get annoying, and yes there are many of them. You just have to change you mind set about the whole thing. To me, its all part of the experience. Like other people have written, I stop and talk to them, make great conversations, get all kinds of tips about what's going on, etc.

I and my wife have even turned the table on the T/S salepeople. We use them to our full advantage. These salespeople are just the cold-callers, the "get your foot in the door" people. They are paid a referral fee for every person/couple they sign up. In order to get you to sign up, they are fully ready to entice you with gifts. We have learned to take these gifts to the limit. We bargain with the various T/S people. We set them against each other ("Your buddy down the street will give me all those gifts, and more. What will you offer me?") We finally settle on the guy that will pay out the most. Most often, we end up with a free jeep rental for a few days, some free tickets to shows (like the Mexican Fiesta at the Krystal), and some boat tours (Marigalante, Yelapa, Quimixto). We ignore the ones in the airport. They don't have good gifts. We also ignore the ones from Nuevo Vallarta. Its just too far for an early morning breakfast. We concentrate on the guys right on the malecon. We get the sales process going good right there. Our approach is simple. After some small talk, we tell them stop the the sales pitch. I'll go, but what will you give me. They either have something good or not. If the offer isn't good, we tell them sorry. We will look for someone else. It works like a charm everytime.

Don't get mad. Learn to use the system for your benefit. This time (August 9-16) I will be looking to get the tour to Pitillal for free from the T/S guys. Here's hoping!

randyintucson
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by randyintucson » Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:55 am

Morgan Hill Guy (Aug 02, 2004 08:16 p.m.):
I have to agree with the others regarding the T/S people. Yes they can get annoying, and yes there are many of them. You just have to change you mind set about the whole thing. To me, its all part of the experience. Like other people have written, I stop and talk to them, make great conversations, get all kinds of tips about what's going on, etc.
Just curious, what's to see in Pitillal?

sioux4noff

Post by sioux4noff » Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:35 am

I'm really surprised that they leave you alone when you say you already own one. The time share sales people seem to think that someone who already owns timeshare is likely to buy another one.
We aren't bothered muchby the OPCs, and when we are we just say no gracias.

jkbe

Post by jkbe » Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:49 am

I'm curious. Was is the best that is being offered?

A few years ago when we were in Mazatlan, we were able to get a day of deep sea fishing for free. We ended up with the boat to ourselves and caught all the Mahi Mahi and Sail fis we could catch.

Morgan Hill Guy

Post by Morgan Hill Guy » Fri Aug 06, 2004 5:36 am

randyintucson (Aug 03, 2004 12:55 a.m.):
I have to agree with the others regarding the T/S people. Yes they can get annoying, and yes there are many of them. You just have to change you mind set about the whole thing. To me, its all part of the experience. Like other people have written, I stop
I hear that there are some Tequilla factory tours, as well as some nice shops & restaurants.

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by smitty » Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:52 am

Jkbe- last Oct we were offered $300 US to attend a presentation, I think I read on another board the anti had reached $400. We didn't accept and I have no proof that anyone has actually received these amounts.

gibbo50

Post by gibbo50 » Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:43 pm

Smitty (Aug 06, 2004 03:52 a.m.):
Jkbe- last Oct we were offered $300 US to attend a presentation, I think I read on another board the anti had reached $400. We didn't accept and I have no proof that anyone has actually received these amounts.
a friend of mine made $1100 on one rainy day last jan. doing three presentations, not bad money if you can hack it.

FLORIDA FRANK

Post by FLORIDA FRANK » Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:40 pm

Hmmmmmmmmm.. While I also hade encounters with the TS troops, I always spoke a little Spanish, smiled and said supportive items such as 'I hope you do very well...but we are not interested...sorry'. Also, in St. Martin/Sint Maarten they have passed an ordinace on the Dutch side that prohibits time share and related 'hawkers' from leaving the sidewalk to approach a vehicle, abusing tourists, etc. I was very surprised about their decision on this as I didn't think they would respond, but they sure did. Now the TS folks are much more subdued and laid back.
Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Do you think this website could start a petition to the Governor of PV to do the same, or, at least respond?

radioguydx

Post by radioguydx » Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:40 pm

Hi,
I have been going to PV every year now for the last 8. And I have always enjoyed myself. I have always run into the TS wanting to do a time share and I just tell them I am at the Villa Del Palmar and they leave me alone...I always am polite as I know I am in their country and want to go home on time. After 43 countries of traveling with Uncle Sam you learn to be polite even when you do not want to..
I do not like for the locals to say I am the typical American as they do in many places where we Americans have showed our perverbial arses..I go back to PV on the 13th Of Nov. looking forward to it..
And it is the same in MAtzatlan...as I go to both..

discman

Post by discman » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:45 am

Just write N.Q.(not qualified) on your hand and wave at all of them...they won't bother you again!

Chavez

Post by Chavez » Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:35 am

Spike (Jul 06, 2003 10:12 a.m.):
Just got back from my first visit to PV. I was really hoping to kick back and relax but after the first day I was more stressed out than before I left. I found the street vendors,
tour sales people, some shop owners and of course the time share people to be completely overbearing.

I found that if you say. "I'm already an owner" to everyone, they will be delighted and move to the next person because if you already own, they can't sell it again. Some will try to sell you a new deal then, but just smile and say, No Gracis and keep walking.
The worst place is on the street sidewalk across from the malecon., so I just walk on the malecon itself and get a better chance of enjoying the walk.

They are part of the gig....

bzy1inpv

Post by bzy1inpv » Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:57 pm

I do not work in the TS industry but have consulted for them and my boyfriend is a TS shark (not on the street, he is a closer and really a sweet man:)

I can tell you 100% that saying you own a timeshare does not help as all timeshares will offer to either buy your old one or sell you another. There is no rule saying you cannot own more than one, in fact you could own a hundred and saying you own one only means that you are a buyer!
In fact most OPC's love to hear you own one as they think you may buy again.

Best bet is a simple "No gracias" and keep walking.

Next best is if you do get trapped is to say you do not have a credit card as they must have a credit card to qualify you.
If they question you about traveling without a credit card, tell them you only brought travelers checks.

"I am Travel agent" does not work so well either because there is the "exit program" (sell off travel packages) where you pay $3000 and get burn weeks for often times $100 US a week in a nice resort ansd a week cruise. (HSI) Just met two independent travel agents who went and bought the exit vacation package so they could buy the burn weeks and resell them.

And lastly, if none of these succeed, tell them you live here in Pilillal! (make sure you pronounce Pitillal correctly to make it sound good! :)

andy

Post by andy » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:00 pm

andy

Post by andy » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:01 pm

take a bus to PTL it is a subdivision of PV better prices/great zocolo and food. for 4 pesos the bus gets you ther

ndnqueen
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by ndnqueen » Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:57 am

hi i just wanted to say that we had no problems with the timeshre people. we actually went on one because we just had to see what it was like! i mean evryone kept going on and on about how awful and terrible they were! lol we went to the mayan palace and when all was sed and done we left without feeling like we were violated at all lmao! but really they never bugged us in the airport or on the streets and a simple and polite no gracias did us fine for the timeshares and the street vendors. just thought i would add my 2 cents lol....

beach_girl13

Post by beach_girl13 » Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:48 am

I love PV but yeah the TS people can be veryyyyyy annoying. Some helpful hints...1. When arriving at airport look for Taxi sign immediately try not to look lost. Don't believe someone who says they are going to pay for your cab they want to sell you a time share. 2. Depending on hotel you are at try avoiding their TS people first day..thats when they want to hook ya. If they try to get you discounted tickets its because they want you to listen to a presentation don't do it! Wait a day or 2 to book side trips. 3. Say no thank you or no gracias to TS people with a smile. If they keep talking DON'T look back just keep walking. 4. Use the TS people for info. If your down town looking for somewhere and not sure where it is they have maps and will help you generally they are nice. These tips can help but they don't always work. If your young try playing the age card. I think the age they try to sell to is either over 23 or 25? If you look around that age your must be 22 right??? lol! I don't think they will sell to married people if they are not with their spouses either? or maybe thats just wife without her husband? not sure.

TRVLRZ

Post by TRVLRZ » Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:15 pm

80% of the time a “No gracias, busco cerveza.” (No thank you , I’m looking for beer.) works just fine. It’s all in the attitude and smile. If you act like a scared victim or overtly rude North American, chances are that they may be board and will want to have fun with you.

BILLinP.V.

time share & beach vendors

Post by BILLinP.V. » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:24 pm

The time share people should have to stay inside of their little booths and not holler and whistle at potential customers. I have lived here for years and that is the biggest complaint that people say to me. The time share rip offers are just a bunch of loud mouthed asses and should not be allowed to even be outside of their little cubicle. I was in a restaurant where some of the time share guys ate lunch together once and you should have heard what they were saying about the STUPID people that they had ripped off that day.It is sickening that they should be selling time shares for another state and ripping off tourists here in Jalisco and selling Nayrit.