Driving South from Nogales

Kick back, relax, here any topic is fine, well... almost any topic... :-)

Moderators:admin, Moderators

jalapenojohan
PV Fan
PV Fan
Driving South from Nogales

Post by jalapenojohan » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:50 pm

As snowbirds start to plan their trip south many of them will be considering the Nogales to Puerto Vallarta route. With all the bad press lately I though it appropriate to get some feedback from people who have driven it recently and people who have driven it many many times. Also included are this week's Canadian upgraded warning and the most recent US warning.

gdremark
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by gdremark » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:03 pm

The main thing DO NOT drive at night, start early and finish early and caravan when possible.

Most of the times we drive we stop for the night in Nogales and get up early and drive to either Guaymos if we are taking our time. Not much there I don't remember the hotel resturant we stop at right off hand but secure parking and good food. I'll ask the wife and see if she recalls the name, there aren't many there so don't worry.

But most of the time we stop in Los Mochis and spend a day. Ask a taxi driver to take you out to the islands to eat! They have water breaks that go to the islands (not really islands because the are connected to the main land) But great fresh fish! It's about a 15-20 minute taxi ride.

Or for a relaxing drive take and stop in Los Mochis the first day, the second day go to Mazatlan. It is fun to take a golf cart tour around town, they will take you bye the churches and also the look out points so you can see the islands.

And the next day you can be in PV!

You might want to move this to travel section.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:09 pm

Johan,
I know you post on other PV websites. If you read the threads on travel there are some pretty detailed routes that people take, including the best times to cross the border (traffic wise), hotels people stay in. It should help you for your website informatioin.

I have to disagree with the prior post. Those cities mentioned are two of the areas that they are having alot of recent violence from the Sinola drug cartel. Los Mochis has been a trouble spot involving the drug cartel for years.

gdremark
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by gdremark » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:14 pm

Well if you are driving from Nogales you can NOT make it that distance in one day so you MUST stop at least once or you better fly!

I thought some people said the violence is only on the border! (Tongue in cheek)

If you really want to be safe fly (when ur there stay in the tourist areas and even then can't be sure of anything.........) and as for driving use the rules about NEVER driving at night, drive in groups and stay on the main roads. I have driven all over Mexico (most likely 20k+ miles over the last 10 years)the main thing be aware of ur surroundings and don't go down side streets.

One last thing don't drive around in a Hummer or some such car with all tinted windows!

jalapenojohan
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by jalapenojohan » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:49 pm

katnsocal wrote:Johan,
I know you post on other PV websites. If you read the threads on travel there are some pretty detailed routes that people take, including the best times to cross the border (traffic wise), hotels people stay in. It should help you for your website informatioin.

I have to disagree with the prior post. Those cities mentioned are two of the areas that they are having alot of recent violence from the Sinola drug cartel. Los Mochis has been a trouble spot involving the drug cartel for years.
Thanks Katnsocal: I have started a list of links to those types of posts, including this one, so folks have a digest of the discussions in one spot.

That page is here:
http://jaltembajalapeno.com/foreign-res ... -vallarta/