New MeetUp.com PV Group

Kick back, relax, here any topic is fine, well... almost any topic... :-)

Moderators:admin, Moderators

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin
New MeetUp.com PV Group

Post by webmaster » Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:15 pm

Hi PV Fans,

In the past and even more in the last months, I've noticed PV fans would like to meet together and have some drinks and exchange stories and laughs while in Puerto Vallarta. With this in mind I've created a new MeetUp.com Travel group for Puerto Vallarta. This group will complement the PuertoVallarta.net website and this bulletin board. It'll help us organize meetings and events in Puerto Vallarta. I will be travelling to Vallarta in December 17-21, but if there is anyone that'd like to organize a meeting before that, please sign up and tell me about it so we can establish an earlier date for the first MU.com PV meeting.

The link to the group is: http://travel.meetup.com/272/

Any comments or questions, feel free to send them to me at mogens@proinco.net

Kind regards

Mogens
Webmaster/Moderator
http://www.puertovallarta.net
Last edited by webmaster on Thu May 22, 2008 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re:New MeetUp.com PV Group

Post by webmaster » Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:35 pm

Already 32 members and growing. After a successful meeting in November, now there's a new meeting in December. Check out the MeetUp.com site (events) and add yourself to the members meeting there at Cafe de Olla in the Romantic zone of Vallarta.
http://travel.meetup.com/272/

Kind regards

Mogens

connor
PV Master
PV Master

Post by connor » Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:20 pm

Make that 33 members. I am not even margarita man on the meet up group site. Just plain Bryan McCron. It is going to be a fun site to look in on. Should be fun to get together with other b.b. members.

marcos
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by marcos » Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:38 pm

34 now. Hope some of you guys will be in PV from 1/11 thru 1/24. Let me know and we can meet up at CyC's.

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:51 pm

Actually I recommend not using Cuates y Cuetes as a meeting point, other sites board groups meet there and last time Gary Beck organized a meeting there (to which he didn´'t appear...) the other group was giving us the evil eye, quite disturbing people if you ask me... so anyway I recommend new spots for meetings, with a town full of nice places why go to the same run down places... no?

Greetings

Mogens

teduardo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by teduardo » Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:36 pm

Mogens (Nov 23, 2004 02:51 p.m.):
quite disturbing people if you ask me...
Well I have been called quite a few things in my life, and now I guess I can add "disturbing" to the list. LOL

Guess if I said you were "paranoid", I will be become one of the many "banned" from this board.

The "other board" loves us even if we are disturbed.

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:28 pm

Were you there that day? I sure am not wrong in saying people there that day were not very kind or "loving" as you characterize them :-) and it wasn't only me who felt that way.

There were some nice people there that day too, who did come over to chat, but the rest couldn't care less about us, which is alright, but I see no need to mix with people like that if avoidance is possible.

Greetings

Paranoid Mogens, as you called me.

Jennybean

Post by Jennybean » Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:15 am

Mogens (Nov 23, 2004 05:28 p.m.):
Were you there that day? I sure am not wrong in saying people there that day were not very kind or "loving" as you characterize them :-) and it wasn't only me who felt that way.

There were some nice people there that day too, who did come over to chat, but the rest couldn't care less about us, which is alright, but I see no need to mix with people like that if avoidance is possible.

Greetings

Paranoid Mogens, as you called me.
Well I wasn't there that day, but if you want to call me one of the disturbing people, by all means. Your opinion of me and those I associate with, who happen to have a combined 100 years of traveling to PV and a wealth of knowledge of Vallarta and it's surroundings, means little or nothing considering the history you have with most of us - or have you forgotten that? If you don't want to "mix" with us that's fine too...more room in the "run down" location we frequent, and staff/friends/family who are more than happy to see us every evening at sunset.

Greetings, as you say.
One of the "Barrio" Dwellers

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:40 am

Well, I wasn't talking about you either, cause you weren't there... so don't feel so offended. Some people are warm and talk to you and invite you to their tables to chat a bit, others as the people that day, when I went around the table greeting them together with Pablo, did everything to make us feel unwelcome... and never talked or offered any warmth, long faces and forced smiles... that's not your fault of course, and as I say, it's not their fault either... I'd rather not mix with people that are that way... is that wrong of me? Why do you need to attack me that way?

Greetings

Mogens

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:49 am

I seem to feel I touched a nerve somewhere... barrio, rundown, whatever... different people, different strokes... but I see no need for this outright attack... seems a bit overblown if you ask me. History I have with you guys? What history? The time I had to intervene on the Tourism Boards former bulletin board? Sounds like ancient history to me... and things have changed significantly since then, which is why I guess you've all reappeared on the board. I had problems with JR cause all he'd do would be to promote his own site, are you talking about him? If not, then I just don't remember, I'm not much for wasting my time on grudges, life is too short to dwell in the past. I just get on with my life and have a nice time.

Mogens

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:55 am

Anyway this thread is getting off topic which is why I´ll move it over to general ramblings. Some people on this board are just waiting for any chance to throw a jab at the moderator...

Mogens

Jennybean

Post by Jennybean » Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:45 am

LOL, for not remembering, your memory seems to be pretty long when pressed into action!

Anyway, the bottom line is - if you don't want to have your meet ups at CYC for a reason that has to do with CYC itself, such as service, food or beverage issues then that's one thing, but to try and get people to hold group meetings elsewhere based on the fact that people they have never met in their lives gave you the "evil eye" as you see it, well that's just plain silly. Not to mention kind of discriminatory - I mean, none of these folks have met any of us, let them make up their OWN minds as to whether they think we're disturbing (personally, I think we're disturbing in a good way, but I guess I'm biased LOL). They're adults, treat them as such.

And as for taking jabs...puhleeze. You're the moderator, time to thicken the skin I think. I moderate 3 boards, this is child's play compared to those. You're no victim here, so please try to stop portraying yourself as one.

People who want to meet us and share our information will find us, they always do and always have. We're the large group with the smiles on our faces, having a great time with the staff. Tough to miss.

And again I say - enjoy your meetings as we will enjoy ours.
Cheers.

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by smitty » Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:58 am

We had our best trip ever to PV - this Oct/ Nov thanks to meeting up with Brenda and all her board members. Quite honestly , they are some of the best people my wife and I have ever met.

charlieb

Post by charlieb » Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:28 am

Ok, I'm sorta confused! Many of this board members belong to "THE OTHER" board, and many of "THE OTHER" board members belong to this board. I'm sure that The Alpha Chuck shares my question: What's Up? Why can't we get along? The RealDeal Chuck

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:39 am

Jennifer,

I truly don't remember (may be selective memory, but that could also be for a reason I can't remember either...), so if you're thinking of something specific, have something to state, please do, that'll help me retrace the issues and clarify if necessary or possible.

Secondly, CyC IS run down, that's my point of view, I guess anyone's point of view if they are sincere, but that doesn't make it horrible, just not a place I'd go to often and not a place I'd take my family. Loved the view, had a great time, but I think it's time to move on and find a better place for meetings. A place where we can be alone and not be in anyone's way. Another negative side is that I sweat like crazy in places like that, that don't even have a fan (just a look at my photos and you'll see that I am from a colder country). As the organizer and moderator, I'd prefer to place meetings somewhere else and that's in everyone's benefit. If anyone is curious CyC will still be there to check out on the beach.

Groups can surely meet when they openly agree to do so beforehand. But starting off they should have their own space and time. That's my opinion.

I believe your group was missing key elements that day (you weren't there, for starters), 'cause they weren't really having a good time, no laughs, no happy happy time, plus no hospitality as I already mentioned earlier in the thread. Who knows what was wrong... Ups and downs, everyone has them. We had a great time though, even though we were a small group that day.

Next meeting is at Cafe de Olla, Renee's place, I hope to find her there too, she's such a great woman. There is another meeting being organized in the bar of The Cuatro Vientos Hotel, which sounds like a very nice place too. Plenty of nice places to try out, that's the fun of Vallarta and why people need to break the rutine and explore.

Thanks for your remarks and I am sorry you've felt insulted, you shouldn't as you were not even there. I have a feeling you're like a mother hen (don't read any insult into this...), that'll defend her family no matter what, that's fine, but that still doesn't change my experience, which wasn't a nice one. And if you are in some way related to CyC's and my comments on it being run down affect you, sorry again, but I see no need to cosmetically beautify my opinions. I always try to say what I mean and mean what I say (in an "Alice In Wonderland" kind of way).

Greetings

Mogens

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:45 am

CharlieB (Nov 23, 2004 10:28 p.m.):
Ok, I'm sorta confused! Many of this board members belong to "THE OTHER" board, and many of "THE OTHER" board members belong to this board. I'm sure that The Alpha Chuck shares my question: What's Up? Why can't we get along? The RealDeal Chuck
Ahhhh, that IS a good question! Well, we'll see one day if they can get over their grudges... 'cause I surely can, actually I hold none really... Time will tell.

The One and Only Mogens (on this board)
Webhamster
http://www.mogensgallardo.com

katnsocal

Post by katnsocal » Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:53 am

Mogens,
Well I was there that day and if it is me you are referring to as not throwing out the welcome mat, then I stand accused. I seem to remember introducing myself to you and your reply was something to the effect of "Yes, I remember seeing your name". BUT let's get down to the fact of the matter.

You walked up and asked "Is this Garybeck's meeting", This was a meeting Gary had set up with you, for whatever reason, I do not know and really don't care, it was between you and him. Our/my response was "No this is not Garybeck's meeting". We told you he was not here and we had not seen him that evening. So given this information, we were only to assume that it was some type of business meeting you were having with him. With this assumption, a group meeting of board members from another board, would not appear to be a good setting for your meeting with Gary. You walked around the table and exchanged hello's and handshakes with everyone at the table and everyone responded in kind to you. Like I said we did not invite you to join us due to the fact you said you were looking for Garybeck's meeting, along with the fact that there is some past history between you and SOME people that would not give them the desire to welcome you with open arms.

As far as us giving you the evil eye, I think you are paranoid. As people joined our group and were told "Mogens from PV Net is here" and that you were waiting to meet with Gary, of course they would glance in your direction it is only human nature to do so. Alot of people post on your board and by nature would want to know who you were.

As for your comment of us not having fun, laughing or smiling, I don't know what planet you were on (LOL) but you certainly were not at our table, as the pictures I have of that night certainly tell a different story.

As far as CyC being run down and not someplace you would take your family, I hope not. It is a beach side bar more than a family resturant . Very few of us who meet there ever bring our children with us. You are suggesting Cafe de Olla for a meeting place for your board group, Why? It has no view, is packed with people all the time and you have to practically scream to be heard in there. Most people who come to PV enjoy watching the sunset on the beach and there are a limited number of establishments on the beach willing to accomodate large groups.

So instead of trying to play this group, against that group, why don't you just let everyone meet in PV and enjoy each others company? Most of us are probably in PV more days out of the year than you are anyway, (by your own admission, that you hardly ever go to PV anymore) so chances are greater that we will run into other board members before we run into you.

bzy1inpv

Post by bzy1inpv » Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:34 am

Mogens (Nov 23, 2004 02:51 p.m.):
Actually I recommend not using Cuates y Cuetes as a meeting point, other sites board groups meet there and last time Gary Beck organized a meeting there (to which he didn´'t appear...) the other group was giving us the evil eye, quite disturbing people if you ask me... so anyway I recommend new spots for meetings, with a town full of nice places why go to the same run down places... no?

Greetings

Mogens

Gee Mogens,
The quote above wasn't a direct "attack" from you? (I do not myself see it as an "attack" but more like a very tactless response on your part.)

I think your post to the original poster could have been worded more professionally, for example; " I do not recommend Cuates y Cuetes for our meeting point as another Bulletin Baoad has been meeting there for over three years." Or, " I do not personally like Cuates Y Cuetes and here is a list of other places I think would be good..."

I do not hold a grudge from past issues, and I do not pointedly ever make posts directed to you unless you direct a post to me first, such as you saying that I live in a barrio (low class neighborhood) in Vallarta,,,and countless more.

I have let these remarks roll off my back, but in all honesty, I think that this thread has somewhat sealed the deal, showing that even though I supply consitent and excellent information to your board, without provocation, you still find the need to make snide comments in my direction for no reason. I do everything I can to keep my board separate and unadvertised here, and only try to post where I can help.

You are very quick to assume as well as thoughtlessly post comments on here regarding myself and the posters who supply plenty of good information on this board. A excellent example is this entire thread including your description of my group at Cuates Y Cuetes that evening....
Your Quote> "I believe your group was missing key elements that day (you weren't there, for starters), 'cause they weren't really having a good time, no laughs, no happy happy time, plus no hospitality as I already mentioned earlier in the thread. Who knows what was wrong... Ups and downs, everyone has them. We had a great time though, even though we were a small group that day." End Quote

I wish to point out that soon after you left (I had no idea you were there or would be visiting) I showed up that night to meet everyone, over 20 people in all at the table, and there was plenty of laughs, smiles and conversation. They had mentioned you stopped by looking for Gary. Maybe you did not receive a warm welcome because of posts such as these?

I treat your board with respect, and I expect in return you do the same for me and the countless people, such as Gary, who participate on both boards, and more. There is no need to air dirty laundy or make snide remarks. Possibly you have forgotten some of your best contributers post on multiple boards, yours, mine and others. The more the merrier, verdad?

I respect you, I respect your board and rules of netiquette, please offer me the same.

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:26 pm

Ok, let me see... gather my thoughts, re-read the whole thread... deep breath...

I thank you for your time and candid remarks. Thanks Kat (Kathlyn?) for your comments and helping me understand the situation and the misunderstanding that arose (the business meeting and such, that your meeting hadn't actually started, etc.) and pointing out something that makes it clear I was not completely paranoid and that there was some hidden tensions (quote from Kat's post: <start quote>...along with the fact that there is some past history between you and SOME people that would not give them the desire to welcome you with open arms.<end quote>). Who those people are/were I do not know, but that is irrelevant, no?

Just one note, Jennifer brought the barrio thing up, just in case, I said nothing other than CyC is run down.

Hi Brenda. Too bad we didn't meet, people nowadays are very fast in classifying people based on what they read online ( I avoid that if possible), I believe we are very different people online than offline. I admit, to all, that I was being obnoxious, visceral and maybe even childish (the quote you include Brenda), mainly because, I admit, I did feel snubbed that day and it wasn't a nice feeling (considering I normally have a very positive relationship with everyone in my life). I still think it'll be a good idea to avoid barging in on another group, specially if it will create tensions. So, anyway, I apologize, I am sorry, I am maybe too sensitive to things like that. Everybody has faults, no? Will you all hate me forever?... :-(

Brenda, the time we exchanged views regarding Mexico, I did not point out YOU lived in a barrio, I think you assumed that, but I believe that you are putting words into my post (tried in vain to find it before sending this off, but couldn't)! I did point out at that time that you and other people seemed to only present the cliche image of Mexico, rowdy, noisy, strong colors, etc., and I pointed out that in Vallarta and Mexico in general there are many quiet alternatives. Countless more attacks on you? I doubt that, I really do.

Never did I have you in mind when posting, actually I hold you in very high esteem and would like nothing else than to meet you all in person and have a good laugh out of all this. I feel you take things too personally sometimes, infer and deduce that I may be attacking you and so on. You are maybe a little like me, maybe? But rest assured I wasn't talking about anyone not there that day, because that was not the idea (to attack someone tangently) and even on that I stand corrected by Kat.

Anyway, as a conclusion, I feel Gary, unknowingly, led us to this situation... throw two groups together, without any apparent reason (Gary's organized the meeting on the MeetUp.com Vallarta group, but never showed up) and let tensions arise... Why didn't you appear Gary? We're all still awaiting some kind of explanation... are you chuckling there on the sidelines? ;-)

Had Gary been there (Pablo and I arrived right on time) there would have been no misunderstanding, no strange tensions and none of this would have happened, I think. Anyway, it's been a good lesson for me (maybe for us all) and an interesting experience.

I know things will be ok in the future, it could just a matter of meeting in person (if there is the will... that's essential) and getting to know each other in an environment where communication is at its best: in person (written language is not the best method most of the time).

Sincerely,

Mogens

bzy1inpv

Post by bzy1inpv » Thu Nov 25, 2004 6:21 am

Hi Mogens,
I understand the fine line of communication via the net and needing to use a bit more politeness than people would possibly use in face to face conversations since words or comments can easily be misconstrued, so I try to re-read posts a few times and look at things objectively before I post. Even then, it does not always work.

With that said, Kat summed it up quite well, and just the fact you came to a table looking for a different meeting was the essential key as to why there was not a big "come stay and hang out with us!" It wasn't that you were not invited, you were not there to be a part of our group. (Kinda like showing up at the wrong house for a party)

At one point or another, any person who came to CyC's for a bulletin board get together was a "stranger"...even now after three years of Friday Sunset get-togethers, new people show up each week. We usually have a mix of 15 for 35 people each week, some new, some have met before....and the door is always open to people, including people who "lurk". In fact, some of the coolest meetings we have had is where a couple of board members did not agree and had a little board spat and ended meeting in person made ammends and got along wonderfully.

My idea of these get togethers was to get diverse people with PV in common to connect, share info and make new friends. From this, many personal friendship have been born, to the point there are PV meetings across Canada and the US when they are not in Vallarta. I extend an open invitation to anyone and everyone, so the next time you are here, feel free to drop by to join us..(not fly by looking for someone else;)

I have no objection in meeting you. In fact, I know you have my email, so the next time you plan on coming down, feel free to email me ahead of time and see if we can get together.