Best of the expensive restaurants

Kick back, relax, here any topic is fine, well... almost any topic... :-)

Moderators:admin, Moderators

raghu813
PV Fan
PV Fan
Best of the expensive restaurants

Post by raghu813 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Hi All,

Usually we stick to the modest to middle range restaurants. But on this trip my wife would like to go to one of the "beautiful restaurants".

I know some of them are not as good as they are cracked up to be.
Which of them is your favorite - counting food and ambiance?
Incidentally, she is a vegetarian so it would have to have something vegetarian (beyond the ubiquitous "vegetarian plate")

Thanks for your tips.

Mike

PS: I can offer this tip of my own. I found a lovely neighborhood place, with fresh fish and a great attitude, at the southeast corner of Brazil and San Salvador (can´t quite remember the name)

pvgemini
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by pvgemini » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:25 pm

I love Trio, and they have a website, so you could check the menu to see if they offer vegetarian options. La Palapa can't be beat for ambience if you want oceanfront atmosphere.

If you want "expensive" feel without expensive price, check out Barcelona Tapas. They also have a website. Fresh, crisp white tablecloths, fresh flowers on the table, two types of delicious fresh bread brought to the table in a basket (with olive oil and balsamic for dipping), well-dressed, clean cut, good-looking waiters, expansive room, beautiful view, very tasty food with tons of options since it is tapas. 5 of us ate here in March with 2 bottles of red wine for $100 before tip. We ordered whatever we wanted and could not eat all the food we ordered. Because it is tapas, so all the plates are small, I'm sure you could order a few different vegetarian items so that your wife can have variety. I have had the gazpacho and the salads, also the cheese platter, which are all great. We also had a warm goat cheese/tomato dish and eggplant dish, which we also enjoyed. They serve a complimentary potato salad first, along with the bread, and I know that sounds weird, but it is the BEST potato salad I have ever had!! It must be the garlic!!

Best of luck. You can tell by the length of my post that I love Barcelona Tapas!! And.........it is a great value!! Double bonus!! You can walk down to Roberto's on the new part of the Malecon for some gelato after dinner.

davilin
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by davilin » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:07 pm

A little known place and it's been years since we were there, Senor Mr Pepe's at the top of Basilio Badillo has a fantastic view of the city and terrific food. Dinner and drinks for 2 was $110.00USD.

raghu813
PV Fan
PV Fan

Thank you for the good tips

Post by raghu813 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:44 am

I think Barcelona Tapas is the place for us.

Mike

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ellen » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:37 am

Teatro Limon is always good but there's also Encanto on Aquiles Serdan. Great food, great service, great ambiance. The owner is also a vegetarian and there are good selections on the menu for everyone.

rosie

Post by rosie » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:05 pm

Barcelona Tapas has some good selections; a word of caution, some are very dairy heavy (cream sauces etc.). The Agave Grill has a vegetarian burrito with amazing flavours, Red Cabbage has an extensive veg menu along with their "regular" one.

edited to clarify that people that are lactose intolerant will want to be vigilant when ordering at Barcelona Tapas.
Last edited by rosie on Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:45 am

Yes I agree good advice :D please stay away from cream sauces... :shock: :P yuck too rich and too fattening... Image

kingofmen
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by kingofmen » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:08 pm

just got back from PV yesterday. went to Mestizo excellent food, just off the Malecon owned by River Cafe. I agree with Red Cabbage for good Vegetarian. We had a vegetarian chile releno at Casa Isabela That was great and a beautiful view as well.

pvgemini
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Barcelona Tapas

Post by pvgemini » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:59 am

The Barcelona Tapas menu that you get at the restaurant has good descriptions of all the dishes, so you can easily avoid creamy, fatty, dairy rich dishes if you need to. The online version of the menu is very condensed. Since it is tapas, all of the portions are fairly small, so to me, you would not be overdoing it if you split one rich selection.

The potato salad is rich, but I don't recall any of the other selections that I mentioned above being high fat. The cheese platter is balanced with fresh fruit and chutney. I am definitely a low fat eater but have been known to splurge on vacation!

Sally