Swine Flu

Kick back, relax, here any topic is fine, well... almost any topic... :-)

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God
H1N1

Post by Plus4 » Fri May 01, 2009 1:10 am

Swine Flu name is hogwash...We can kiss it Goodbye :) Image

Farmers are counting on you... Eat Pork

nusox
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by nusox » Fri May 01, 2009 4:43 am

My wife and I have our trip to PV on may 10th staying at the Marival. I've been twice and she hasn't been at all. I want to go so bad but she does not want to bring back the flu to out two kids.
I'm all for going still since there are no cases in PV. clean as a whistle right :)
Not sure what we should do.

Are tourism activities being postponed as well?

pdxbuff
PV Guru
PV Guru

The Panic Continues

Post by pdxbuff » Fri May 01, 2009 5:01 am

Dear Mr. Bradley,

A swine flu outbreak is dominating the news. The headlines are changing hourly but at the time of this writing it has been confirmed that this new strain of swine flu originated in Mexico and that Americans traveling in Mexico have returned to the U.S. infected with swine flu.

The U.S. Department of State has issued the following Travel Alert:

"The Department of State alerts U.S. citizens of the health risks of travel to Mexico at this time due to an outbreak of H1N1 "swine flu." The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued an April 27 notice recommending that American citizens avoid all nonessential travel to Mexico at this time. CDC's notice also suggests precautions that travelers and U.S. citizen residents in Mexico can take to reduce their risk of infection while in Mexico. CDC provides recommendations for those who must travel to an area that has reported cases of swine flu, and recommends measures to take following return from an area that has reported cases of swine flu. The complete CDC notice can be found at the following link: http://www.cdc.gov/travel/. Please check this site frequently for updates..."

As a result of this advisory and in an abundance of caution, major cruise lines that we represent have stopped calling on ports in Mexico and have developed--or are developing--positions with regard to future calls at ports in Mexico, while the outbreak lasts. We have been waiting for these official statements and I wanted to get them to you as quickly as they were available--hence the second newsletter this week. To see these cruise line announcements now, please click http://www.vacationstogo.com/swine_flu.cfm.

If you are booked on a cruise that is scheduled to visit Mexico, you may want to check these statements on a regular basis. We will update this page every weekday with any new policies or changes. If you have additional questions or concerns, please feel free to contact your Vacations To Go cruise counselor.

These itinerary changes disrupt the vacation plans of guests, cost the cruise lines money and deal a harsh blow to anyone in Mexico who relies on tourists for their livelihood. Indeed, there are no winners in the swine flu outbreak, but canceling port calls in Mexico was absolutely necessary to ensure the safety of every passenger and crewmember and to combat the spread of the influenza.

I applaud the cruise lines for taking prompt and decisive action.

No one knows how long this outbreak will take to run its course but I will be the first to announce the cruise lines' return to Mexico when the swine flu is behind us. That announcement can hardly come soon enough.

Alan Fox
Chairman & CEO

Sr. Fox
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Sr. Fox » Fri May 01, 2009 12:58 pm

Indeed, there are no winners in the swine flu outbreak, but canceling port calls in Mexico was absolutely necessary to ensure the safety of every passenger and crewmember and to combat the spread of the influenza.
What a bunch of hogwash! There is no "outbreak" here in PV. Why does nobody pay attention to the actual news. There are cases in Mexico City, which by the way has a population approximately equal to all of Canada and is as far away as Vernon, BC is to Calgary.

Life continues normally for us here, albeit with a few less tourists and people who are afraid to leave the confines of their hotels.

I suggest you turn off your CNN and Fox News and get on with life. You have a better chance of catching this flu in Calgary than here in PV.

Besides... we have the prevention and antidote... Good Tequila.
We promise to "inoculate" everyone for free. Okay, you have to be over 18. :)

chico98
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by chico98 » Fri May 01, 2009 1:40 pm

we have the prevention and antidote... Good Tequila

AND WHAT DID THE WORM DIED OF

harry
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by harry » Fri May 01, 2009 3:53 pm

chico98 wrote:we have the prevention and antidote... Good Tequila

Drinking binge - RIP

Sr. Fox
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Sr. Fox » Fri May 01, 2009 7:15 pm

chico98 wrote:we have the prevention and antidote... Good Tequila

He died in a bottle of Mescal... not Tequila.

jrgfallbrook
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by jrgfallbrook » Fri May 01, 2009 9:18 pm

We are also due to leave on the 9th of May...We are watching the news hourly to try and decide what to do. I have heard of no evidence that there is any case of the flu on the Pacific Coast of Mexico. We are in San Diego area and find great humor in the fact that the cruise ships are coming to San Diego instead, where we do have active cases. Husband and I are taking heat from family and friends that we havn't cancelled yet. Have 8 more days to see if how the situation is going. To bad we have to rely on PV residents posting accurate information. News media seems to be off the deep end.

P.S. Any additional news from PV would be appreciated.

Christinafromcali
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

WHO report for 5/1/2009 San Francisco - I am coming to PV

Post by Christinafromcali » Fri May 01, 2009 10:25 pm

May 1, 2009 Issue 434 EXTRA

UPDATE: SFCVB Monitors H1N1 Outbreak
The World Health Organization (WHO) released a statement today that is encouraging news for San Francisco and the travel industry. We wanted to share it with you right away in case you have customers who would be interested in this update. To help you respond to questions from your staff, customers and guests, the SFCVB has compiled a list of Top Line Facts. These will be updated as the H1N1 situation evolves.

No Rationale For Travel Restrictions
1 May 2009 -- WHO is not recommending travel restrictions related to the outbreak of the influenza A(H1N1) virus. Today, international travel moves rapidly, with large numbers of individuals visiting various parts of the world. Limiting travel and imposing travel restrictions would have very little effect on stopping the virus from spreading, but would be highly disruptive to the global community.

Influenza A(H1N1) has already been confirmed in many parts of the world. The focus now is on minimizing the impact of the virus through the rapid identification of cases and providing patients with appropriate medical care, rather than on stopping its spread internationally. Furthermore, although identifying the signs and symptoms of influenza in travelers can be an effective monitoring technique, it is not effective in reducing the spread of influenza as the virus can be transmitted from person to person before the onset of symptoms. Scientific research based on mathematical modeling indicates that restricting travel will be of limited or no benefit in stopping the spread of disease. Historical records of previous influenza pandemics, as well as experience with SARS, have validated this point.

Travelers can protect themselves and others by following simple recommendations related to travel aimed at preventing the spread of infection. Individuals who are ill should delay travel plans and returning travelers who fall ill should seek appropriate medical care. These recommendations are prudent measures which can limit the spread of many communicable diseases and not only influenza A(H1N1).

Visit the World Health Organization for further information.

nusox
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by nusox » Sat May 02, 2009 1:06 am

So we've decided. No way are we going to cancel. We'll see you in PV may 10th.

I want my antidote with the worm on the side :)

Sr. Fox
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Sr. Fox » Sat May 02, 2009 12:05 pm

nusox wrote:So we've decided. No way are we going to cancel. We'll see you in PV may 10th.

I want my antidote with the worm on the side :)
Smart move! I am glad that I can help with info as I see it.

Yesterday was just another normal, lazy day here in Paradise. We were open as normal as were most other restaurants. A few bars and clubs are closed but all the restrictions are off on May 4th.
Don't let stupid rumors spoil your vacation.

jj85712
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Vallarta Bound

Post by jj85712 » Sat May 02, 2009 3:56 pm

Sr. Fox,
Just wanted to thank you for your insight. I am supposed to be coming down next week to get married. Your posts about things in PV being vurtually business as usual have been very helpful. We had 45 people coming, at this point we are down to about 35, but we are coming to party. I have been to your sports bar before and we will definintley stop by to introduce ourselves and say hello.
Thanks again,
Josh

Sr. Fox
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Sr. Fox » Sat May 02, 2009 4:20 pm

Hey we can handle 35 people. :)

Thanks for considering us.
Fox and Family Roma

chico98
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by chico98 » Sat May 02, 2009 4:21 pm

Does that mean there are NO cases at all? Who knows? But really who cares? If they were that mild and passed unnoticed, isn't that a good thing? In fact now scientists are saying this virus is milder than a regular flu and "may not even do as much damage as the run-of-the-mill flu outbreaks that occur each winter without much fanfare"

http://www.examiner.com/x-2026-SF-Gay-T ... nd-reality

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Flu Stuff

Post by smitty » Sat May 02, 2009 6:54 pm

Decorated swine flu masks in Mexico . :)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healt ... exico.html

darla
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by darla » Sun May 03, 2009 2:47 am

I've been looking at the webcam and it appeared that there was a pretty good crowd down there tonight. I am really hoping that things will get back to normal so that we can feel comfortable flying to PV on the 23rd. Does anyone know if the bars and clubs are still planning on reopening on Monday?

Sr. Fox
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Sr. Fox » Sun May 03, 2009 3:02 am

Unless we get a new notice... Everything is scheduled to reopen on Tuesday.
Don't worry about it. Just a nightclubs and a few bars are closed. There are more bars open than there are closed.
Also remember, many businesses shut down this time of year for the summer. The rest of us stay open to party with you.

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Re: Flu Stuff

Post by Plus4 » Sun May 03, 2009 4:17 am

smitty wrote:Decorated swine flu masks in Mexico . :)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healt ... exico.html
I like the painted masks...Think it would be neat to do at work...
When we go into an isolation room at the nursing home we put on a mask and gown ..
I usually wish the residents in isolation a Happy Halloween.. :lol:
:)

Don't let a few masks spoil the fun :lol:

robinann
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by robinann » Sun May 03, 2009 5:52 am

I was also looking at the webcam...The malecon doesn't look too deserted! My youngest son and I are still planning on coming down May 9th.

My oldest son, who is staying home, actually hopes I come back with the swine flu so that his school can be closed for 2 weeks. I'm not trying to make light of the situation, just passing on what a typical teenager thinks of all this!

Sr. Fox - this will be my 5th time in PV, yet I have never been to your establishment. My son and I will definately be coming to visit you this time. I especially want to thank you for all your work you do with Children of the Dump. We were supposed to go tour the school this visit, but if the school is still closed, that won't be happening. But, it would be nice just to talk with you a little about all you do for them!

svnr
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Swine Flu

Post by svnr » Sun May 03, 2009 3:15 pm

Every thing that I see on TV or print here in Boston says Swine Flu in Mexico, but nothing specifically as to where in Mex. Are the reported cases only in Mexico City, or are they scattered throughout the country? No one wants to purposely go anywhere that is not safe; but conversely we do not want to be panicked into believing in something that does not exist.

Can anyone give us a better picture of where the swine flu has progressed
in Mexico? Specifically, what is happening so far in PV?

Thank you

Al