Swine Flu

Kick back, relax, here any topic is fine, well... almost any topic... :-)

Moderators:admin, Moderators

pjac1979
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Re: Isn't vacation supposed to be stress-free?

Post by pjac1979 » Wed May 06, 2009 5:33 pm

glendastory wrote:Did anyone see the news that AA is canceling 1/4 of their flights to Mexico, including PV? I may be safe because my flight is almost full, but sometimes you don't know until you get to the airport. I'm coming 5/16 and keeping my fingers crossed. No matter what or when, I'm coming!!!
we are coming 5/16 also. where are you staying? we will be a t the villa del palmar. i think it is in the hotel zone.

pjac

wanna be in PV
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Still going south

Post by wanna be in PV » Wed May 06, 2009 5:33 pm

Thank you everyone for all of the updates. Because of you I checked our flight schedule with US Air. Lo and behold our flight home had been changed. We get to stay a few hours longer in sunny PV which is all good. Now I hope the airlines won't cancel too many more flights. This will be our first trip to PV we are still very excited about visiting!

glendastory
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by glendastory » Wed May 06, 2009 5:43 pm

If you haven't already done so, go to AA.com and then to book a reservation and pick your flight and view seats. It will show you the layout of the plane and how many seats are still open. I'm leaving that same day on American and my flight has only 13 seats remaining open. Odds are it will not be cancelled as full as it is...at least not for the lack of passengers. Of course, there are other reasons flights can be late or cancelled. I'm trying to be optomistic!

getwithit
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Cafe de Olla, and Mexicana Airlines

Post by getwithit » Wed May 06, 2009 9:19 pm

[b][color=blue]We are flying out of SFO in a couple of weeks on Mexicana Airlines (talk about flu scare), BUT, as a healthcare worker, my partner and I both, are not worried... but then we never were, and at this point and beyond, it getting where it's 'safer' to be in PV Mexico anyway! Not sure where this airlines flies to in the US cities, but we got a great deal, even 1st Class, which we never do (plus they serve free drinks), for the price other airlines charge for coach... no, I don't work for them, just excited about finally getting a vacation (actually going with many people - all different days, etc for a special ladyfriends 50th celebration)... and the best restaurant (good food, good service, good cost, and we've been to PV many times) is Cafe de Olla, it's in Old town PV (a few blocks from the beach - but then, what isn't). Many other great places also... and PV is a great place for walking all over, new and old town... many people think 'old town' is just the "gay" area - not true,,,,, it is moreso, but many many places (the majority) are not... besides, other than my partner and myself, everyone else is 'happily married straight couples' (so, each to their own). I even have a sibs (and hubby) who only stay in the NEW part of PV (5 star hotel, etc) cause they don't like 'vendors' etc bother them... but then you might as well go to Hawaii (our other travel place too), if you want to just be in 'lttle America' and not have the experience of being in a foreign country. Only wanted to share, to all who are going this year, have a great time - and enjoy some great "tequila's". [/color][/b][/size][/size] :!: :D

[quote="pjac1979"]hi all
i had heard that united cancelled all of their flights to mexico. that was late last week i think. i did not hear that AA cancelled any. we just booked with them on saturday for 5/16 so hopefully enuf people are still going to PV to keep the flight scheduled. i do not want to miss this...my hubby and i need a vacation BAD. we stopped there on a cruise last april and loved it. i just hope after a week we still love it just as much.
what is the name of the bistro by the river that is a good place to go for brkfast/lunch? my friend was telling me it was a nice place but counld not remember the name. we are not at an AI so we are going to hit all the good places in town. SR fox, i appreciate your postings. they are what made me finally book PV with all of the H1N1 propaganda going around.
see y'all soon
pjac[/quote][size=18][/size]

getwithit
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Re: First Timer at a Bad Time...

Post by getwithit » Wed May 06, 2009 10:16 pm

Oh just go and have a great time.. been there many times, I work in healthcare, and we are going the last week of May/first of June (after that time, June on beyond, it is a bad time 'weather wise' to go - unless you like hot humid days.... carry a face mask with you if you like, and by the time you go, it will be safer to be in PV, then in the states... good traveling.

[quote="StarbucksLvr"]OK, so my husband and I have NEVER been to Mexico... we have a trip planned to PV in mid-June but it seems like everything (and everyone) is telling us NOT to go. First the issues with violence and kiddnappings in the border towns, and now the Swine Flu epidemic. As a healthcare worker in the states, I am pretty knowledgable about flu, viruses, and epidemiology in general. The Swine Flu still scares me. If we do decide to go to PV, I will be coming home to 2 young children and a hospital full of catastrophically ill patients... do I really want to chance it? Again, I am a very intelligent and level headed person who WAS SO excited to finally go to Mexico and to PV specifically. Now I'm considering cancelling my timeshare reservations and taking a loss to get my airline tickets changed to somewhere else... :cry:[/quote]

Sr. Fox
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Sr. Fox » Thu May 07, 2009 1:41 pm

what is the name of the bistro by the river that is a good place to go for brkfast/lunch? my friend was telling me it was a nice place but counld not remember the name.
I think you might be thinking of Le Bistro or River Cafe.

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Thu May 07, 2009 5:12 pm

We live in a small community north of Calgary...
There is one confirmed case of the H1N1 flu..

A child in School... (mild case) Parents were told if children were home with the flu they were to keep them there for 7 days :shock: :) ..Other than that so far have not heard or seen anything unusual...
No folks out and about with masks on only in the Docs office....
I suppose if it comes to wearing masks we will see a few of these from the redneck cowboys.. :lol:
Last edited by Plus4 on Thu May 07, 2009 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pjac1979
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by pjac1979 » Thu May 07, 2009 5:50 pm

glendastory wrote:If you haven't already done so, go to AA.com and then to book a reservation and pick your flight and view seats. It will show you the layout of the plane and how many seats are still open. I'm leaving that same day on American and my flight has only 13 seats remaining open. Odds are it will not be cancelled as full as it is...at least not for the lack of passengers. Of course, there are other reasons flights can be late or cancelled. I'm trying to be optomistic!
I did that yesterday and there are 9 seats there and 13 seats back (something like that) so i figure we are safe for not being cancelled for lack of passengers.

Sr. Fox
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Sr. Fox » Fri May 08, 2009 1:48 pm

Life is slowly returning to normal here and all restrictions imposed in PV are off. With all the people that got scared of by the Media hype and canceled their trips, we are seriously down on visitors but the flights are arriving again and people are coming back.
This is a great time of year to visit PV as the crowds are down and you can have your pick of restaurants without standing in line.

glendastory
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by glendastory » Sat May 09, 2009 4:25 am

Is it true that there are closures again in PV. Copy and paste this article:

http://www.examiner.com/x-2026-SF-Gay-T ... osed-again

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Sat May 09, 2009 6:06 am

Unfortunately it is true. Schools, Theaters and Bars have been ordered closed until 5/18. There have been 26 confirmed cases in the state of Jalisco, but NONE of them are in PV. They have the report of 3 deaths in Jalisco POSSIBLY related to H1N1. PV is still free from any confirmed cases.

charlieb

Post by charlieb » Sat May 09, 2009 7:22 am

"There have been 26 confirmed cases in the state of Jalisco, but NONE of them are in PV." Unfortunately, just a matter of time. Chuck... 8)

chico98
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by chico98 » Sat May 09, 2009 11:49 am

BREAKING: Governor puts state on new health alert
Written by GR Staff
Friday, 08 May 2009
Concerned by the deaths of three people in the past 24 hours, Governor Emilio Gonzalez has reinstated the closure order on schools and "entertainment centers" in the state of Jalisco.

26 cases confirmed in Jalisco

Calderon salutes nation, slams discrimination
Government steps in as business nosedives

Jalisco goes back to school

Confusing numbers from state government open credibility gap

Swine flu cases confirmed in Jalisco but confusion over state lab tests

Highway checks prove ineffective

At a press conference Friday afternoon, the governor said the "probable cause" of the deaths of the three patients was a result of becoming infected with the influenza A-H1N1 virus.
The patients were a 35-year-old man from Tlaquepaque, a 24-year-old woman from Acatlan and an 11-month-old infant from Guadalajara.

Gonzalez has ordered all schools in the state to remain closed until Monday, May 18.

Private universities and high schools had resumed classes on Thursday. All primary and secondary schools, as well as campuses of the public Universidad de Guadalajara, were scheduled to reopen on Monday, May 11.

The closure order also includes bars, nightclubs, theaters, cinemas, cabarets, sporting arenas and other venues where large number of people may gather, Gonzalez said.

Bars and cinemas had reopened Wednesday after a five-day nationwide shutdown.

Gonzalez said he has instructed state health authorities to equip a high-tech laboratory with PCR (Polymerase Chain Reaction) technology capable of detecting the A-H1N1 virus. Previous tests carried out in the state have only been able to determine the presence of influenza A.

The governor said he would be putting daily information online regarding the number of H1N1 cases and deaths (suspected, probable and confirmed) in each of the state's 125 municipalities.

Gonzalez said the state had sufficient stockpiles of medicine to treat the disease.

"It is essential to maintain preventative measures," he said. "Don't shake hands or kiss when greeting, wash hands regularly, go to the doctor if you have any of the symptoms, and never self prescribe."

http://guadalajarareporter.com/content/view/24573/58/

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Sat May 09, 2009 1:22 pm

On Thurs. one of the nurses at the care home where I work had a call from the School her son was attending..He had flu symptons and was to be tested for the H1N1 flu..
He goes to the same School where the one confirmed case is in our small city..
Have not heard what the test results are ...
I think of those that are out of work because of this flu.....

Sr. Fox
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Sr. Fox » Sat May 09, 2009 1:40 pm

Life goes on as normal for us and I will keep you posted if something should change. We are still only serving you your last two cocktails just to be safe. :)

chico98
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by chico98 » Sat May 09, 2009 4:33 pm

http://guadalajarareporter.com/content/view/24572/58/

Government steps in as business nosedives
Written by Guadalajara Reporter Intern
Friday, 08 May 2009
Running a business in Mexico has gotten a whole lot tougher in the past few weeks.

Luis Gerardo Estrada, who makes his living from the Hospedarte hostel in the Zona Rosa of Guadalajara, says dwindling bookings, a 50-percent drop in occupancy and a rash of cancellations from abroad have forced him to reassess his business strategy.

“We need to sit down and think of ways to overcome such crises,” he said. “We are going to open a bar/café next week so that we get local customers and not just visitors from other parts of the world.”

Estrada isn’t alone in feeling the consequences of the influenza outbreak.

“You could say it wasn’t the best time to open a new business,” said Mari Ochoa, the manager of San Francisco Salads on Avenida Chapultepec, which began service on Monday. “People just aren’t eating out, almost no one has showed up. And our other restaurant in Providencia has seen takings decrease by about 70 percent.”

The lack of visitors to downtown Guadalajara has seen bus ticket sales at Tapatio Tours fall by 50 percent, while drivers of calandrias (horse-drawn carriages) said they were scarcely averaging one ride a day.

Mexico’s Finance Minister Agustin Carstens announced Wednesday that aid from the government would be coming to the hardest hit sectors and that from July the country would see a “rapid recuperation.” Twenty-seven billion pesos are to be used for the most affected sectors, namely hotels, restaurants, pork-producers and public spaces such as the Expo Guadalajara trade show center.

Carstens also announced that all businesses in Mexico will be eligible for a 20-percent discount in their benefit payments to the Mexican Social Security Institute (IMSS) for May and June, up to a limit of 35,000 pesos. And state governments are being asked to provide 1.4 billion pesos in tax benefits.

Estrada isn’t convinced that the stimulus plan will filter down to the small and micro-business sector.

“The government hasn’t helped us so far. They just sent out some leaflets about the dangers of swine flu and instructed us to give them out to our guests.

“We’ll have to look and see how tourists react come June, July and August and see whether the student groups that usually come actually do,” said the young businessman.

Margarita Ortiz, head of the Employers’ Association (Coparmex) in Puerto Vallarta, said many hotels in the resort are contemplating closing for the rest of the summer. Other businesses have also lost million of pesos because of the government’s “exaggerated” shutdown of bars and entertainment centers in Vallarta, he said.

Cancellations of vacations in Cancun were running at 70 percent last weekend, while other resorts reported figures as high as 90 percent.

Tourism has been worst hit in areas where the highest number of flu cases have been reported. Hotel occupancy in Mexico City and Aguascalientes fell to eight and ten percent respectively.

Meanwhile, Continental Airlines slashed flights to Mexico by half on May 4. The airline operates 450 flights a week between the United States and Mexico. American Airlines has cut its flights to Mexico by 25 percent.

Planes are arriving empty from Europe, Canada and United States but returning full with holiday makers anxious to get home.

Canada suspended all charter flights but has maintained its regular services to and from Mexico.

Even Mexican airlines, including Click, Aeromexico and Mexicana, have cut flights on many domestic routes, in particular to beach resorts.

Carstens said airlines will get a 50-percent reduction in air space fees and three billion pesos in loans and loan guarantees.

The finance minister said he was optimistic about the Mexican economy and that in comparison to events like natural disasters, the vital manufacturing sector has continued through the swine flu hysteria and that should mean a smoother ride out of the crisis.

ceecee
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

trip to PV on May 14

Post by ceecee » Sun May 10, 2009 2:54 am

Few days to go and still not sure if we should go. This is our first time for our family to go to PV and we booked this way back in November. I have conflicting argument whether to go or not.
How is PV at this time? Is is back to normal?

Sr. Fox
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Sr. Fox » Sun May 10, 2009 3:20 pm

We drove to Bucerias yesterday (Saturday) afternoon. They had a checkpoint at the border going into Nayarit but they were only handing out flyers on how to prevent the dreaded "Flu". It looked like they were doing the same coming into Jalisco on the other lane of the highway. When we came back at about 3:30 pm they were all on break and were not handing out anything.
No masks in Soriana store in Nayarit however some in Home Depot but not Costco coming back. People I talked to all day were all just sick of the BS and were ready to get on with life.
We are open as usual at Cafe Roma and have not received any official notices... just rumors. Other restaurants are open however we did notice a couple of bars closed last night. Harry's was closed and I talked to Tony from the Revolution. He said they were closed because they only served botanas not meals. Looks like you can be open if you serve full meals in your business though there is nothing in writing that you can not drink or how many drinks you can have in a restaurant. On a side note, I noticed that Club Mandela on the Malecon has a new sign and are now called Restaurant Mandela.
Life is still good here and we are still in Paradise.

thalie
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by thalie » Mon May 11, 2009 4:40 pm

Hola Sr. Fox!
Me llamo Thalia y soy de Canada. Me voy para Puerto Vallarta para pasar el verano. Aqui soy camarera en un restaurante y me gustaria trabajar en un restaurante en PV. Seria feliz con solo uno, dos o tres dias cada semana!

Hablo frances, ingles y espagnol. Tengo mucha experienca en los restaurantes et tambien soy directora de marketing en un nightclub aqui.
Si buscan una persona dinamica, organizada, inteligente y de buena aparienca tambien, soy la persona para ustedes! (ps: tengo el pelo rubio y una grande sonrisa! )

Crees que podrias ayudarme ?? :)

Y otra pregunta, que pasa con el swine flu en PV? No quiero escuchar lo que las noticias dicen, porque los americanos... :-)
Pero pienses que no deberia venir? Como esta la ciudad? Vacia???

Gracias!
Puedes contestarme por correo :
thalie_stcyr@hotmail.com

chico98
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by chico98 » Mon May 11, 2009 5:47 pm

Guadalajara Reporter sounded a note of caution, reporting: "Because the state wasn't at the front line at the start of the epidemic, health officials are reportedly concerned that Jalisco will be hit by a "second wave" of flu - perhaps a more aggressive, mutated variety in the coming days and weeks."

But the Guadalajara Reporter added, " Although there is no medical evidence to back this up, the state government is not taking any chances."

http://www.examiner.com/x-2026-SF-Gay-T ... icial-says