Police Crackdown on Gay Establishments?

Kick back, relax, here any topic is fine, well... almost any topic... :-)

Moderators:admin, Moderators

lyrihn
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
Location:Higuera Blanca / El Tizate / La Cruz de Huanacaxtle
Police Crackdown on Gay Establishments?

Post by lyrihn » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:51 pm

The gay boards are reporting that there have been police closures of several gay bars in vallarta over the past couple weeks - austensibly due to serving alcohal after 2 am - which patrons and owners deny.

As well, there was a november report of drug use and other misbehavior by customers of the blue chairs after which the blue chairs (bar restaurant etc) were closed down for a couple weeks. This was reported in the Vallarta Tribune.

Since they have been opened. But yesterday they were shut down about 3 pm and as of this AM looking at the beach there is no sign of either the blue chairs or green chairs or anything. Empty beach at 10 am.

Does anyone know if there is some serious problem surfacing? Seems odd that there are reports of so many problems at gay establishments just as tourist season is moving into high gear.

I asking because I was getting ready to buy a weekend place in old town so that I was closer to the gay community - but if there is a serious move towards intolerance I will need to change my plans.

Anyone with thought or info please let me know either publically or privately.

Thanks

delectdee
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by delectdee » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:23 pm

not too sure what is going on. from one board that i'm on there is talk of the blue chair hotel 'hiring' police as hotel guards....which is not too likely...and other reports of general harassment by the police. there seems to be a real concern that there may have been some overt and inappropriate behavior happening on beach at the blue chairs.
all speculation right now. i guess we wait and see what actually happened and the backlash from it all. if any of it is true....it is quite sad.

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Police

Post by Jennybean » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:33 pm

One of the other PV boards posting about this seem to be leaning towards it being opposing "factions" of the gay community in PV squaring off at each other through the authorities and other methods.

The rumours of what occurs behind the ropes at the Blue Chairs beach have been around for eons. Truth or myth, who knows...the fact that this "crackdown" has extended to the Green Chairs (aka Ritmos) is unsettling though, considering that beach club isn't solely gay traveler domain...

lyrihn
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by lyrihn » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:11 pm

Well this isnt just bickering, etc.

The green chairs is now aparently open. There is a big CLAUSARADO sign on the blue chairs establishment - so something is afoot. Of course it could be anything - time wil tell.

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Arguments

Post by Jennybean » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:58 pm

Those posts elsewhere never implied it was just bickering...they imply it's a turf war that's been stewing for some time between business owners and patrons on two sides of a fence. This could be a result of that - wouldn't surprise me.

Are you sure the Blue Chairs closure doesn't maybe have something to do with an impending sale? It's been listed forever on realtor websites, and I was told last month when I was down there by a few in the gay community that a deal was in the works...don't know if this is still the case but you know how the gossip network functions down there; what's true today isn't tomorrow, and what's true tomorrow is false the day after. LOL

As noted, truth and myth - who knows. But I wouldn't let it stop you from purchasing in that area because of some perception of intolerance...that's not an issue at all as I see it (I stay in that area almost exclusively every trip, up on Amapas), considering the number of gay owned AND frequented businesses in the area. Businesses that are flourishing I might add, packed to the rafters with mixed clientele having a grand time. ;)

But if you're going to buy, do it quick. Prices are insane and probably won't go anywhere but up for some time.

lyrihn
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by lyrihn » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:52 pm

Well the blue chairs issue I think has been explained -- and it appears NOT to be related to intolerance.

Rather, ages ago they built a wooden deck - and now authorities feel it is not in compliance and so they have been ordered to tear it down.

The timing is just coincidental.

Something like that.

Prices do seem to be high everywhere. Personally i feel they are overpriced - but demand controls the price so who am I to say.

If you think prices are increasing quickly in Vallarta - you should look north to the Riviera Nayarit area -- ouch!!!!!!!!

People seem to think they can park a broken down car on 2 meter x 4 meter pad, place a lamina roof ontop, supply an empty 2-liter bottle to pee in, and sell it for as a rustic 2br 1 ba villa for 250K USD :shock:

lyrihn
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by lyrihn » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:06 pm

Well the blue chairs issue I think has been explained -- and it appears NOT to be related to intolerance.

Rather, ages ago they built a wooden deck - and now authorities feel it is not in compliance and so they have been ordered to tear it down.

The timing is just coincidental.

Something like that.

Prices do seem to be high everywhere. Personally i feel they are overpriced - but demand controls the price so who am I to say.

If you think prices are increasing quickly in Vallarta - you should look north to the Riviera Nayarit area -- ouch!!!!!!!!

People seem to think they can park a broken down car on 2 meter x 4 meter pad, place a lamina roof ontop, supply an empty 2-liter bottle to pee in, and sell it for as a rustic 2br 1 ba villa for 250K USD :shock:

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Housing

Post by Jennybean » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:06 pm

Oh, I know about the RN prices...I have a friend who bought a 2 bdrm pre-construction at Acqua for just under 120K and her property (which is only just getting finished) is now worth almost 300K. She hasn't even furnished it yet and she could sell it for a huge profit.

But I digress...the properties in the Amapas/Olas Altas area started to jump in price when it started to gain more popularity. When I was down there earlier this month there were 650 square foot units in the area going for over 200K, unfinished. That's ridiculous, but it's supply and demand - there is a huge demand for units in that particular area, and a dwindling supply of them.

I remember the good old days (yarite, barely 5 or 6 years ago LOL) when you could buy a condo in that neighbourhood for under 70K. Those days are long gone.

Speculators in PV have been having a grand time of it, but I predict the other shoe is going to drop...soon. ;)