Welcome "Newbies" - Introductions Please

Kick back, relax, here any topic is fine, well... almost any topic... :-)

Moderators:admin, Moderators

tojol57
Welcome "Newbies" - Introductions Please

Post by tojol57 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:05 pm

We have noticed a lot of new traffic on this bulletin board as well as other travel boards. You will find a lot of various opinions... just remember they are opinions so don't be scared off...

I was asked as a moderator to come out here and place this post, replacing another post by a long time poster to this forum...

so if you get a moment come out here, post a little piece about you as an introduction, and we will gladly help you any way we can....

Tom

grammalil
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by grammalil » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:20 pm

Okay, I'm not afraid, I will be first!

I wanted to come to Mexico for a vacation for many years...in 2005 some friends and I finally convinced my husband to give it a try. We are coming back for our second trip this March! Didn't take him long to get the idea, we are so far away from our day to day reality, ya just gotta relax and enjoy!

Our friends that we are traveling with have been staying in Puerto Vallarta every March for about 10 years, so we have had some help with things to do, places to see. Reading this board has given me a lot of new, fun ideas tho.

We are an early to mid 50's couple from Minnesota. Our interests here in the Midwest include antique motorcycles and our 2 grandkids.

I feel like I can't wait to get my toes in the sand, a drink in my hand.......first stop, Burros!

ronald
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ronald » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:39 pm

Hi everyone, I'm Ron, otherwise known as Ronald. My better half says I'm a real man, because I don't do anything around the house. I've been married to my first wife for over 30 years, and we have four children two of whom are ugly and quite useless and the other two that seem to be making it ok in life while draining their parents bank accounts. We don't have any pets because both of us are allergic to animals, but somehow she likes fur coats. Go figure.

We live in god's country (Northern Saskatchewan) but lately I think she decided to punish us and move away, as it has been hitting -50 quite a bit. Mexico is a real treat for us, first because of the lovely heat that hits us when we go there, and second, after Canadian taxes are paid, that's about the only place we can afford to go.

We really enjoy visiting Puerto Vallarta sometimes during the winter on a regular basis, which provides me my yearly opportunity for what I refer to as exercise and everyone else calls going back and forth to the bar for drinks.

Welcome to all newbies to the board. Some of us are nuts (I'm talking about Tom here) and some are really knowledgeable about everything PV is and can be... take advantage of their expertise.... unlike consultants everywhere else; their help is free.

grammalil
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by grammalil » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:32 pm

Oh, you wanted us to be more detailed in our self introduction!

We too have been married to our first spouse for over 30 years, and have two wonderful children. We like them both, they each gave us a beautiful grandchild. And after we spend all of our grandchildren's inheritance, we will move in with them :lol:

Ron, your wife and I have fur coats in common! I have a nice collection of vintage furs, and even here in sunny southern Minnesota I have been wearing one daily for the past 2 weeks. ( Today it has nicely warmed up to zero degrees again.) I am looking so forward to NOT wearing a fur in Puerto Vallarta.

tandr2
PV Master
PV Master

Post by tandr2 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:14 pm

We are Tracy and Robin from Steinbach, Manitoba, Canada. We have been together for 9 years and have 3 kids aged 14, 12, 10. As of Tuesday we will both work for Loewen Windows in Steinbach. We love going to PV (we have been there 4 times now and counting) and ATVing. They work well together...we go to PV in the winter and ATVing the rest of the year. We have 4 dogs - 3 Cocker Spaniels and 1 German Sherpherd Cross and 1 cat. :)

It would be awesome to have a Manitoba meet-up once everyone has come back from PV. :)

rnhennon
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Hola, mi llamo Robyn

Post by rnhennon » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:30 am

Hi I am a 20-something young female professional who has never been on a tropical vacation before and unfortunately doesn't have a lot of experience traveling. I am not cheap but I don't like to waste money either so I would say I am a budget traveler. I will be going to PV for the first time in May and would love any advice you have to offer. I will be staying in the Hotel District because that is where my friends are staying and getting married at. I prefer a more local feel than a touristy one so any advice for getting a more authentic feel would be appreciated. Unfortunately, my group is a bunch of yuppies who I think will feel more comfortable in the more commercial/touristy areas so I might need to break away from them so I can have some fun and learn more about PV's culture. Could you give me good advice on companies that give tours and don't price gouge. Again, I am a novice traveler, but very outgoing and friendly. I speak and understand a small amount of spanish but more than most. Also, if anyone visits San Diego, California, I know the place like the back of my hand and can give lots of advice in exchange and am willing to meet up to give a tour or something. Thank you in advance for your sharing your wisdome and experience.

Robyn

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:35 am

Welcome to the forum newbies grammalil and Robyn :)

Winnipeg gal 1
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by Winnipeg gal 1 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:25 am

Welcome to the board Grammalil & Robyn.Hope you enjoy the board as much as we all do.Lots of great info :)

tojol57

Good start

Post by tojol57 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:45 pm

welcome to the BB Grammalil and Robyn....

i will give you a little insight on myself and my wife Lorrie... We are Tom and Lorrie aka Mr and Mrs Crown for the resort the Golden Crown Paradise, we have been coming to the Vallarta area for over 15 yrs now... we will be spending our 14th vacation at this resort starting next saturday over the last 10 years...

Lorrie and i have been married 20 yrs this year.. we will celebrate our 20 anniversary of our engagement on Valentine's day at Epoca this year... Lorrie and i are DINK's (double incomes, no kids) yet we have our Keeshonden dogs, Angel and Destiny as our children... and Ron, we still have the moccasins you sent down when they were babies...

As you will find out, there is a strong bond out here with the board members... We kid each othere, pick on each other, and we help each other with more than just answering questions... we have put together many prayer chains for ill friends and family, for lost loved ones whether it was thru illness, accidents, or if they are military personnel.... that is how close of a family we have become out here...

Many of us have met each other thru this medium, and then met down on the Beaches of Puerto Vallarta...

Again, welcome to this site... take care...

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Welcome

Post by webmaster » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:02 pm

Welcome all newbies, specially those valiant enough to respond ;-),

I'm Mogens, the admin, you'll see me appear from time to time, but considering I actually HAVE a job to do, I am not as regular as many here on the forum (joking). I'm in charge of booting spammers out, stepping in when things get out of control (and have everybody hate me for that), booting obnoxious users, etc. Anything that requires web server strength, I am the one to send a PM (private message) to.

If you have technical issues with your accounts, I'm the guy to contact too, including ticker issues, which I normally arrange whenever I see them.

As you've noticed I am normally not missed much as there is a great team of moderators keeping things nice and civil here on the forum, which makes this a nice place to hang out and get useful information.

Kind regards to you all,

Mogens
Last edited by webmaster on Thu May 22, 2008 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wheezie
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Re: Welcome

Post by Wheezie » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:19 pm

I'm new to this forum....been lurking for a while now.

My husband and I have been married for almost 27 years, 2 kids and 2 grandkids.

We're coming down to PV in 17 days and this will be our 6th trip there. We've stayed near the Marina twice, Nuevo twice, and condo in Conchas Chinas once. This time we're staying at a condo in the La Palapa building. We enjoying trying new places to eat and adventures outside of PV. We're also :lol: going to stay in Yelapa one night during our trip.

Looking forward to possibly meeting some other people from this forum while we're in PV.

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:44 pm

We are Chris & Dan. We have been married 26 years and have two daughters, 21 and 17. One is in University and the youngest will go this fall. Empty nesters coming up!!! We have been to Mexico only 3 times. The first time I went I was only 19 and we went to Acupulco for a month! It was great! The next time we went we drove from Manitoba down to Puerto Vallarta and stayed at a trailer park in Bucerias right on the beach. It was run by Fidel & Mayo and it was awesome. I loved the drive down because you get to stop at all kinds of little villages and towns. The third time we went to Bucerias with another couple. Last year we were going to go for our 25th anniversary and take our girls but I broke my ankle two weeks before we were to leave!! Trust me; I was depressed! Took me weeks to get over it.

I'm looking forward to this trip this year that much more! I can't wait to show my youngest, Kelly Mexico. Tonia went a few years ago with friends of our and they stayed at Los Paratos in Bucerias and she can't wait to go back.

I stumbled upon this forum because I am the ultimate travel researcher. My friends make fun of me all the time because I like to know as much as I can about where I'm going. Many years ago we went with friends to Costa Rica and they laughed too until we stayed at Hotel Plinio in a tree house which defintely was off the beaten path! I like to try new things and meet people and can't wait to see what happens in PV.

What happens in Mexico stays in Mexico!! Can you believe it! Just kidding.
Last edited by chrisnick on Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JROJEFF
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by JROJEFF » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:01 am

My name is jeff ,my friends gave me the name jro , my first trip to PV was 25 years ago when I was 13 ,went again for two weeks a year later. After my mom and step- father divorced I was not able to keep coming back. My ex-step father and I stayed close and he has been visiting pv every year since ,3 years ago I decided I wanted to come back and now I am trying to make it a yearly trip also. I stay at the budget hotels ,soak up the sun ,eat at just about any street stand and that makes me happy. I have met a lot of great people from all over and hope to continue doing so . I live in south bend Indiana and work in cnc machine shop , been there for 14 years and love it. This forum helps take away the I GOTTA GO BACK NOW away by reading others trip reports and looking at their pictures-jeff

BUFFETT 06
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by BUFFETT 06 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:19 am

hello all, my name is actually Wes, i like the name Buffett for reasons i'm sure everyone here can understand! I am a filmmaker and actually working on something down there in PV. I will be returning in May to finish up with a project. originally from San Diego, went to school in Santa Barbara and Seattle. I love PV, the fact that you can actually get into the local enviroment and experience Mexico the way the locals experience it is unlike any other "tourist" destination in Mexico. I do two things in my life...work and travel, since my work involves travel, i can't complain. for those that are new to the area.....take it in, the culture, food, traditions, people, kids...be a sponge, soak it up and then take it home and look forward to returning. I have not had the pleasure of meeting anyone on this forum, but i'm sure that you are all wonderful. have a fantastic day and if any of you are in PV in the month of May, look for the crew we should be around town.

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Intros

Post by smitty » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:50 am

Welcome to everyone :) I am Jim a 48 yr old Postie in Toronto and my wife (who I adore - she made me write that :) ) Laurie have been married for 24 yrs . We have been to Mexico probably 15 times - Cancun twice and Acapulco once - PV the rest .

shawnie
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by shawnie » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:47 am

8) Hello to all, My name is Shawnie, I have been to PV 7 times this year. I have been married to my husband for 16 years, we have 3 beautiful kids, one girl and 2 boys.
My Mom and Dad had been going to PV for 5 years and begging me to come with them, I never wanted to go. My husband finally gave in to Mom and said we would come and we took the two boys with us and fell in love with it and have gone every year since!
I leave on Wednesday the 6th of Feb! I am so excited to get back and soak up some sun!
My husband says that this will be the last year for a few years! I think I he is nuts! I will scrimp and save and I will go again next year! I have to get out of Michigan in the winter for the 10 days that I do or I think I may go nuts! haha
Nice to meet all of you. I will post when I get back! Ok
Shawnie

margarita man 2

Post by margarita man 2 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:15 pm

Welcome to all Newbies.

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Re: Hola, mi llamo Robyn

Post by ellen » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:49 am

rnhennon wrote:Hi I am a 20-something young female professional who has never been on a tropical vacation before and unfortunately doesn't have a lot of experience traveling. I am not cheap but I don't like to waste money either so I would say I am a budget traveler. I will be going to PV for the first time in May and would love any advice you have to offer. I will be staying in the Hotel District because that is where my friends are staying and getting married at. I prefer a more local feel than a touristy one so any advice for getting a more authentic feel would be appreciated. Unfortunately, my group is a bunch of yuppies who I think will feel more comfortable in the more commercial/touristy areas so I might need to break away from them so I can have some fun and learn more about PV's culture. Could you give me good advice on companies that give tours and don't price gouge. Again, I am a novice traveler, but very outgoing and friendly. I speak and understand a small amount of spanish but more than most. Also, if anyone visits San Diego, California, I know the place like the back of my hand and can give lots of advice in exchange and am willing to meet up to give a tour or something. Thank you in advance for your sharing your wisdome and experience.

Robyn
Welcome to the board, Robyn. A good way to get a more authentic feel is to take the bus to some of the colonias like Buenos Aires or Paso Ancho. They are safe and very interesting to walk around in and a whole other world from downtown or the hotel district. You can even volunteer an hour or so at the Children's Shelter. Whatever you end up doing I hope you have a great time.

kagnew64
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Hola

Post by kagnew64 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:06 am

My name is Howard and my wife is Linda. We live in a small town in
rural Okla. My wife is a 30+ year educator (Special Education) and I am
a pharmacist 30+ years.
We have two married sons with four granddaughters and one grandson.
We have a Time share at Club Regina which we really enjoy. It fits our
lifestyle.
This next trip will be our 10th or 11th. The first four were to Cancun and
the rest were to PV
Our trip in June will be a graduation present for a daughter-in-law.

JROJEFF
PV Guru
PV Guru

too nice

Post by JROJEFF » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:45 am

Howard and linda ,what a great present . that is so nice of you ,she will enjoy the trip and get hooked like the rest of us.