Back in town

Kick back, relax, here any topic is fine, well... almost any topic... :-)

Moderators:admin, Moderators

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle
Back in town

Post by ellen » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:56 am

I just wanted to let you all know about an interesting experience I just had. My mother-in-law died on September 15, which was the day before Dave and I were to fly out to Venice for a 2 week cruise around the Meditteranean with 12 friends. Needless to say, although it had been booked for 2years, we had to cancel. Oh well, there will be other cruises but only one mom for Dave. So, as sort of a consolation prize we decided to go away for my birthday on October 2 and I chose Montreal, as long as we could stay in the old port. I booked a hotel through a travel agent with the one criteria being the location. After it was booked I got the information about it and it turned out to be a place owned by Mexicans and attached to a Mexican restaurant. Our waiter for the included breakfast turned out to be the head mariachi singer at night. How cool was that?

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Re: Back in town

Post by Plus4 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:27 pm

ellen wrote:I just wanted to let you all know about an interesting experience I just had. My mother-in-law died on September 15, which was the day before Dave and I were to fly out to Venice for a 2 week cruise around the Meditteranean with 12 friends. Needless to say, although it had been booked for 2years, we had to cancel. Oh well, there will be other cruises but only one mom for Dave. So, as sort of a consolation prize we decided to go away for my birthday on October 2 and I chose Montreal, as long as we could stay in the old port. I booked a hotel through a travel agent with the one criteria being the location. After it was booked I got the information about it and it turned out to be a place owned by Mexicans and attached to a Mexican restaurant. Our waiter for the included breakfast turned out to be the head mariachi singer at night. How cool was that?
Hi Ellen...So very sorry to hear about the death of your Mom in Law...
Condolences sent out to your hubby Dave too ....
I also am sorry you had to miss out on the cruise with friends ...

I would love to tour Montreal....Glad you had fun at the Hotel :)

JROJEFF
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by JROJEFF » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:24 am

Hi ellen and dave ,so sorry to hear about losing a loved one . You are both wonderful people -my heart goes out to you

sjl330
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by sjl330 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:03 am

Ellen, I'm so sorry to hear of your and Dave's loss. I lost my mom 4 months ago and it's still very hard for me. You're right, there's only one mom and vacations can always be retaken.

So funny about Montreal. A little bit of home away from home very close to home, eh?

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:32 pm

Sorry to hear about the loss of David's mom Ellen... Life's paths are something to behold aren't they... That is wild about your stay in Montreal... that is just funny... As for your cruise yes there will be others that is for sure... as a matter of fact, my boss is out on one right now in the Med with a group from Summerset Winery here in Iowa... they will cruise the Med, the spend a week in Italy at some vineyards... imagine that one... Take care...

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:16 am

Ellen,
Sorry to hear of the passing of Dave's mom. I'm glad you got to get away somewhere, sometimes that is what you need the most to start the healing process.

It's a small world isn't it? I have found so many good mexican restaurants on my business travels around the US. I found one in Ohio and when I ordered I ordered in Spanish...turns out the owners were from Guad and everytime I walked in after that they automatically brought me my margarita as soon as I sat down....snowing outside and drinking margaritas. LOL

Glad you had a bit of " mexican sunshine" on your trip.

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ellen » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:11 pm

Thank you all for your condolences. I will pass them along to Dave, too.
Yes, it is a small world. The last thing I expected to find in old Montreal was a Mexican Auberge and Restaurant, that's for sure.

davilin
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by davilin » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:44 pm

I'm very sorry for the loss of your mother in law.
It is amazing that you can find good Mexican food just about anywhere these days. In 1966 I was stationed at Camp LeJeune in North Carolina. Having grown up in California where Mexican food was everywhere, including the A&W root beer stand, I went into the town of Jacksonville, N.C., found an A&W, and ordered a couple of tacos. They had no idea what I was talking about. Talk about culture shock.

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ellen » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:12 am

davilin wrote:I'm very sorry for the loss of your mother in law.
It is amazing that you can find good Mexican food just about anywhere these days. In 1966 I was stationed at Camp LeJeune in North Carolina. Having grown up in California where Mexican food was everywhere, including the A&W root beer stand, I went into the town of Jacksonville, N.C., found an A&W, and ordered a couple of tacos. They had no idea what I was talking about. Talk about culture shock.
I'll bet it wouldn't be the same now if you went back to N.C.
I am usually disappointed in Mexican food north of the Rio Bravo and basically don't go to local Mexican restaurants. I'm just not that fond of Tex-Mex or Cal-mex cuisine and that's usually what you get here. I was in London, England a few years ago and a friend insisted on treating me to dinner at Chi-Chi's in Covent Gardens. I'm sure the cook had never been anywhere near Mexico and I can see why it didn't last too long in that location.......