Global Crisis and Puerto Vallarta

Kick back, relax, here any topic is fine, well... almost any topic... :-)

Moderators:admin, Moderators

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin
Global Crisis and Puerto Vallarta

Post by webmaster » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:09 pm

Hi there,

Just curious on how deep the crisis is biting people around the globe.

Have any of you thought of canceling or changing travel plans based on the global crisis? If so, why did you (caution, lowered wages, inflation, unemployment, etc.)?

In my case I had tickets bought 6 months ago, so I have no reason to change plans, will be traveling to Venezuela (with family) and Philadelphia (alone).

Greetings

Mogens

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Tight Money

Post by smitty » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:45 pm

Laurie and me are pretty lucky we have secure jobs and the crisis hasn't really affected us . We will travel to PV in January and somewhere south in May or Sept . I bought gas for 92 cents a litre on Thurs so all is not doom and gloom . :)

Mogens why Philly ? Heading down for the world series celebration ?

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:47 pm

Actually my brother is getting married there in December, yeah, saw that they won the US soccer tournament...

Mogens

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by travelbug_jp » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:19 pm

Not changing our plans. Our jobs are both secure as well and I know how to save my money for rainy years.
Joyce

helenf
PV Guru
PV Guru

No Affect

Post by helenf » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:13 pm

We haven't had any notion to change our lifestyle at all as we haven't been affected either. As a matter of fact, I've got two trips booked already for this year one of which is our first two week vacation ever. We're headed to Puerto Escondido for Xmas and New Years (2 weeks) and I'm headed to Phoenix for four days at the end of January.

Smitty - I just said the same thing to a friend of mine the other day, "I don't know what all the hullabaloo is - I like paying less for gas." LOL

Helen

kagnew64
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

changing plans

Post by kagnew64 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:30 pm

Yes, business is down; but not for the economy. My only prescriber left
town on Dec 31, 2007 and my drugstore business has suffered. The
building boom has increased my hardware business.
My wife will retire from teacing in May 2009 and we have a business trip
to Des Moines IA in May 2009, personal trip to CA for wedding in May 2009. PV will have to wait until the fall of 2009

ronald
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ronald » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:01 pm

We live in Saskatchewan which has one of the biggest booming economies in Canada. Prices on fuel finally came down in the last 10 days, so that helps,... We sure do notice that prices for new vehicles and stuff like that are dropping... but housing prices are still right up there around here. Still lots of jobs available with not enough people around to fill them. What I have also noticed is a dramatic increase in telemarketers calling this past month, including at least twice a day trying to unload some new credit card on me.

Just got back from Toronto and the entire planes for both Westjet and Air Canada were totally sold out. I was done my meetings a ½ day early and tried to get on an earlier flight. Every flight was sold out. They can't be hurting right now. More people, same service as before unfortunately.

For PV, I took advantage of seat sale prices for January this year and booked.... previous prices last year were about $ 2200 PP for AI, this year got them for $ 1300 each, so there must be a slowdown somewhere.

BUFFETT 06
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by BUFFETT 06 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:55 pm

i guess i am lucky in the sense that i get to go to PV for work. Will be their in december for 2 weeks and then New York, Washington D.C. and Amsterdam next year. The government, economy or media will not alter my plans, business or personnel.

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:19 am

We Have a trip booked to Playa del Carmen (Playacar) Mexico for Nov. 30..

Sell off vacations as well as other travel companies have been listing some very good deals for those interested in going to PV in the near future..
Bargains are out there and some companies are willing to make a deal and even beat sell off... ...

Sell Off PV deals today among others... flying out of Calgary Nov 15th..Not bad EH? :)

PUERTO VALLARTA SAN MARINO PLAZA 3 ROOM AI NOV-15-2008 7 $458.00
+ 328.00 txs

PUERTO VALLARTA SAMBA VALLARTA 4 SPL ROOM AI NOV-15-2008 7 $588.00
+ 328.00 txs

PUERTO VALLARTA BUENAVENTURA HOTEL 4 ROH AI NOV-15-2008 7 $618.00
+ 328.00 txs

PUERTO VALLARTA CROWN PARADISE CL 4 ROH AI NOV-15-2008 7 $638.00
+ 328.00 txs

PUERTO VALLARTA GOLDEN CR.PARADISE 4.5 OCEANVIEW AI NOV-15-2008 7 $678.00
+ 328.00 txs

PUERTO VALLARTA CROWN PARADISE CL 4 FAMILY AI NOV-15-2008 7 $738.00
+ 328.00 txs

PUERTO VALLARTA LAS PALMAS BEACH 3.5 OCEANVIEW AI NOV-15-2008 7 $748.00
+ 269.00 txs

PUERTO VALLARTA CANTO DEL SOL 4 ROOM AI NOV-15-2008 7 $748.00
+ 269.00 txs

Plan to travel next year as well.. Just not sure where... :)

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's good

Post by webmaster » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:25 pm

Great to hear most have not felt a thing, things here in GDL seem quite alright and sales in PVR seem to be normal, we'll really see as high season approaches, as this time of year is always a bit slow.

Mogens

kagnew64
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Gas prices ?

Post by kagnew64 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:04 pm

Mogens, since you asked about the economy; are gas prices up, down, or steady in GDL.
Here in rural Oklahoma gas prices have dropped from $ 4.00/gal to
$2.33/gal

Chevy Man
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Chevy Man » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:34 pm

Things in Canada seem to be going great. Not so here in Michigan. Foreclosures at all time high, as well as unemployment. Auto companies leaking oil, home values dropping 25% in a year. After going to PV the last two winters, not sure about this year. If anything, right now prices for trips are higher than last year. Northwest (Delta) has an iron grip on flight prices out of Detroit Metro and they seem to be reluctant to reduce. Time will tell. Will probably try to hold out for last minute flight.

chi-mike
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by chi-mike » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:51 pm

I'm retired and living off my 401k and pension. it's been a bad year personally and for the chicago area. I see boarded up houses on almost every block, two neighborhood car dealers closed and many new condos that have been unsold and empty for two years in some cases. I've got a trip planned for december but I'm giving second thoughts to the february trip we usually take. I wonder if I could get a job selling time shares.

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ellen » Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:43 am

chi-mike wrote:I'm retired and living off my 401k and pension. it's been a bad year personally and for the chicago area. I see boarded up houses on almost every block, two neighborhood car dealers closed and many new condos that have been unsold and empty for two years in some cases. I've got a trip planned for december but I'm giving second thoughts to the february trip we usually take. I wonder if I could get a job selling time shares.
Sorry to hear that, Mike. I don't think you would make a good time share salesman. I've met you and you're much too nice to go for the kill!

kcowan
PV Master
PV Master

Post by kcowan » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:38 am

chi-mike wrote:I wonder if I could get a job selling time shares.
Timehsare sales here in PV are suffering even more than fulltime sales. I have a friend in the business and it fell off a cliff last fall.

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Gas prices ?

Post by webmaster » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:55 pm

kagnew64 wrote:Mogens, since you asked about the economy; are gas prices up, down, or steady in GDL.
Here in rural Oklahoma gas prices have dropped from $ 4.00/gal to
$2.33/gal
Gas prices always go up a few Mexican cents each month (never down).

I've noticed that this year the price hike has been a bit steeper but it is still under a tight government control and subsidy.

When I arrived in Mexico 10 years ago the price was around $4.2 pesos per litre (around 45 cents a litre at the time; $1.71 dollars a gallon), now the price is around $7.5 pesos a litre (around 58 cents a litre; that is $2.2 dollars a gallon), so prices haven't changed that abruptly.

I've read and heard the government is planning to reduce or remove the subsidy, that will really affect the price and I guess will be an immediate source of inflation, but I'm not too good in economics.

Greetings

Mogens

chi-mike
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by chi-mike » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:52 pm

hi ellen, things aren't quite as bad as I made them sound.I will probably come to pv in february or possibly in april for the fireworks demo. waiting to get more info on that. i see from your itinerary you will be in pv in feb. maybe we'll see you then.

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ellen » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:52 am

chi-mike wrote:hi ellen, things aren't quite as bad as I made them sound.I will probably come to pv in february or possibly in april for the fireworks demo. waiting to get more info on that. i see from your itinerary you will be in pv in feb. maybe we'll see you then.
I hope so. Give my regards to Noreen.