Unbelievable

Kick back, relax, here any topic is fine, well... almost any topic... :-)

Moderators:admin, Moderators

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle
Unbelievable

Post by katnsocal » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:13 am

I am sitting here in not sunny So. Cal watching through the smoke and ashes as everything burns. I had plans to go to the marina for lunch today to enjoy our 95 degree weather. Driving down to the beach (about 5 miles from my house) the smoke was so thick it looked like we were driving through fog. At the beach the smoke was horrible and they were not serving outside at the restaurant because of it. I am approximately 15 miles from the closest fire and the smoke and ashes are absolutely horrible. It all the windows closed and no AC running the house still smells of smoke inside. There are huge pieces of ash falling like it is raining. Absolutely tragic, so many families have lost everything.

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ellen » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:43 am

I'm so sorry about the fires, Kat. I have been watching it on the news and it is tragic what some people are going through. I hope you come through it ok.
Ellen

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:00 am

Ellen,
Thanks, I have several friends who have either been evacuated or on stand-by to go at a moments notice. Teduardo was evacuated at 5 a.m. We always know of the dangers when you live in the hills here but these fires have been moving down into neighborhoods that are not in the hills. I think one of the most upsetting things is the homes that are being looted, so far they have made 5 arrests and I hope they throw the book at them. It is bad enough to see your community devestated but then to have these scum bags move in to steal whatever they can is just unexcusable.

pdxbuff
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by pdxbuff » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:54 am

Wow! Wish I could send you people down there all the rain we just endured up here in the Northwest. No fire danger here.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:34 pm

PDX,
I wish you could too, we could sure use it.

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by travelbug_jp » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:28 pm

Kat
I hope you will come out of this unscathed. It's a horrible thing to lose your home and everything in it to fire, flood, tsunami or whatever. It's such a feeling of being homeless and mind boggling to start all over. But no matter what happens to your structure or personal belongings as long as you and your loved ones are not hurt or worse then there is a silver lining.
All the best to you and Teduardo. Where is he at right now?
Joyce

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:05 pm

Last I heard Ted was saying with some friends. I called his cell but have not heard back from him. He, Gail and the cat are safe. they had a couple of hours warning so at least they had some time to get things together before they pounded on their door at 5 a.m. and said to get out.

I am far enough away that I do not have to worry but the ashes were falling like rain this morning and the sun was covered by the smoke. The wind has shifted now and the sun is out and ashes are not falling as heavy as they were earlier this a.m. Trying to clean anything up right now is useless, I did manage to clean up all the pine needles that were blown everywhere but the ashes just keep falling so I just keep sweeping them off the front door area and call it good until it stops.

margarita man 2

Post by margarita man 2 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:12 am

pdxbuff wrote:Wow! Wish I could send you people down there all the rain we just endured up here in the Northwest. No fire danger here.
Ditto. Lots to go around up here. Heres hoping that these terrible fires are under control soon.

davilin
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by davilin » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:03 pm

What a year it's been. Up here in Chico we were breathing smoke most of the summer. There have always been fires but nothing like the past few years. We are looking at maybe a little rain next monday, but it's going to take a lot more than that. Best hopes to the people at the south end of the Golden State.

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:37 am

Hope all of our Pvnet members stay safe..
Soooo sad to see the loss that so many are having to endure..

Ring of Fire California 2008 Fire Season
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMwPn_mrwII