American Red Cross say Nuevo is a no no due to Malaria

Kick back, relax, here any topic is fine, well... almost any topic... :-)

Moderators:admin, Moderators

ajstanger
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
American Red Cross say Nuevo is a no no due to Malaria

Post by ajstanger » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:43 pm

Hola,

I went to give blood this week as I do every 2 months for years. After waiting an hour for my turn at the questionaire machine I answered yes to being out of the country. When they reviewed my questions they asked where I had been. I told them PV back in April '08. They asked if I had left town and I said "no". They then asked me "Did you vist Nuevo Vallarta?" I said "oh yes" for 1/2 a day. They said I couldn't give blood for 1 year since I was there due to Nuevo being tagged as a Malaria area. I was shocked because I have been donating for years.

We went to VDP Flamingos for the stupid timeshare thing because we stayed at VDP PV. Nice resort but I won't be going back to Nuevo again because I like to do my part in supplying blood to ARC.

Nuevo was just flagged two weeks ago. I have heard nothing about Malaria until now.

Just an FYI.

Adios,
T.

sjl330
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by sjl330 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:25 pm

Our blood bank won't take our blood at all if we've been to Puerto Vallarta at all! After a year they will but we're never gone that long. Thank goodness. And they always accepted blood donations after we'd been to the Cancun area. I told them I hadn't been to the jungle areas but they said no. It wasn't Red Cross though. It was The Community Blood Bank operation.