What's with all these Canadians?

Kick back, relax, here any topic is fine, well... almost any topic... :-)

Moderators:admin, Moderators

raghu813
PV Fan
PV Fan
What's with all these Canadians?

Post by raghu813 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:39 am

I'm just curious, and certainly have no negative judgement about it, but it seems that there are more Canadians than Americans coming to PV these days? Has it always been that way? What's going on? Do Canadians appreciate PV more than Americans do?

Mike

PS: I happen to be from Oakland, CA

michelle/tyler
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by michelle/tyler » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:15 am

I don't think that it is so much that Canadians appreciate it more,I think when you compare temperatures say your city to mine(Manitoba) your plus 17 and we are minus 30 with the wind chill.We went to P.V. in January and the temperature was minus 50 with the wind.For this Canadian it helps break up the winter.This was our 3rd time down (my fourth) and there has always been more Canadians than Americans.

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by travelbug_jp » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:55 am

Yes I have to agree with Michelle but also, the American economy seems to be in a worse situation than the Canadian economy and that could be playing into the picture. I've been here since Jan. 6 and I can definitely notice that there are a lot fewer tourists around as compared to previous years. Some days it seems busier than others but that could be a day when the cruise ships are in port as well.

Joyce

ps
Michelle is quoting the temps in Celsius, not fahrenheit.

Zeewot
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Zeewot » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:06 am

I would have to say it is IMHO that Canada is not suffering as much as the US economy and remember the trickle down effect....Mexico also suffers when US econ is down as not as many tourists so lots of specials and deals that some of us Canadians are able to take advantage of.

ronald
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ronald » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:43 am

Just wondering if your comment is based on what you found at one hotel, or are you talking about vacationing in general. For those of us from western Canada, the pickings for hotels are not as large as the list offered in the states. That tends to fill up certain places with more us of canucks.

On the other hand, our western Canadian economy is not hurting like other places. In fact my Province is booming, so everyone that I know is doing the Mexico thing this year. But for flying direct out of Saskatchewan the tour companies are only offering PV, Neuvo, and Cancun (for Mexico) plus Cuba and the DR for direct flights out of our two Provincial airports, and we pretty much like to stay on the west coast so we come to PV. They used to offer Mazatlan and Acupulco, but they don't any more.

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:12 pm

I was in Jamaica a couple of weeks ago and same thing there. I definitely think the economy is affecting the US more. Plus....we got a 5 star resort for $1515.00 all taxes in from Winnipeg. That is an amazing deal!

And now PV for $1155 and that is with an upgrade on our seats so it is cheap for us to vacation this year.

Although I do still seem to spend an awful lot of money once I get there....Hmmmmm

One more sleep!!!! And there will be 4 more Canadians on the beach in PV!

ronald
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ronald » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:13 pm

4 more Canadians on the beach
We just got back... As soon as I got in the pool my wife snapped a picture of me, since she figured that might be her only chance to see a whale in water.

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:51 pm

LOL...Nice one!

dgm0356
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by dgm0356 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:55 pm

Acutally I just think we Canadians love to go to Mexico, because it's a fairly cheap vacation for us and contrary to rumour most of us really don't like our winters. It'll be interesting to see if the slow economy will keep some of us home next year.

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:01 pm

I plan on vacationing next year! But first I will enjoy this years trip! Starting this afternoon with some champagne and orange juice and then off to the airport!

dgm0356
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by dgm0356 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:18 pm

Lucky you.....have a great flight and a wonderful time down there. We were there last week of January, so that's it for us till next year.

vexsgirl
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by vexsgirl » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:24 pm

chrisnick wrote:I plan on vacationing next year! But first I will enjoy this years trip! Starting this afternoon with some champagne and orange juice and then off to the airport!
What a way to start a vacation! Mimiosas and friends! Have fun!

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:54 pm

At the local nursing home where I work many co workers with either their friends or family have or are heading South... Great deals to be found ... :)
The places they are going are..
one went on a cruise and stopped in PV

3 went 1 is leaving for the Mayan area

2 to Jamaica

Other Mexican tourist destinations..

1 to Cuba

1 to New Orleans area

Image :lol:

chrisnick enjoy your vacation... :)

arzluvcaz
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by arzluvcaz » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:27 am

travelbug_jp wrote: ps
Michelle is quoting the temps in Celsius, not fahrenheit.
When it is that cold it gets close though -40 Celsius is -40 Fahrenheit :D

ronald
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ronald » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:25 am

It's not that it's overly cold or anything, but at about -40 many of the women folk in our community tend to not want to do the morning walk around the block, (and you know what that does to the old hips) so it's a husband's job to make sure that they go outside and start the car each morning. Burns more calories than sex... and apparently they (mine anyway) prefer that option.

ajstanger
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by ajstanger » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:41 pm

I have the best of both worlds (countries). I am a Canadian that has lived in the US since 1973 (I was 10). I am still a Canadian but I earn and spend my US dollar like everyone else. I married a Yankee woman (25 years ago on the 3rd of March) and have 3 Yankee children. I was even in the US Navy.

Still a Canadian. Like the Tattoo on my arm says "Made in Canada" transposed over the maple leaf.

Hey! I have to have somewhere to go back to if this Obamanation doesn't work out. LOL

Adios,
T.

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:36 am

ronald wrote:It's not that it's overly cold or anything, but at about -40 many of the women folk in our community tend to not want to do the morning walk around the block, (and you know what that does to the old hips) so it's a husband's job to make sure that they go outside and start the car each morning. Burns more calories than sex... and apparently they (mine anyway) prefer that option.
Hmmm :? Something is not right here... :lol: Rather fire up the car than the hubby ... :P Image Image

condor
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by condor » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:33 pm

I never notice any difference between Canadians and American. Other than one comes from USA North and the other comes from Canada South. :lol:
We all Party the same! 8V8 Well maybe one difference "Eh"?

RodeoFoto
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by RodeoFoto » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:31 pm

I am visiting the PV area in 2 weeks for the first time ever. Normally I go to the Carribean.

I chose this area this time (Bucerais - RDC) because of the price and reviews of the hotel and town.

I would agree with other posters, the recession hasn't hit Canada as hard as it has the USA at present.

chico98
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by chico98 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:47 am

her only chance to see a whale in water

http://sportzfun.com/photos/albums/swimming/whale.jpg

couldn't help it
LOL

chico