OPENING A BOTTLE OF TEQUILA

Kick back, relax, here any topic is fine, well... almost any topic... :-)

Moderators:admin, Moderators

ronald
PV Oracle
PV Oracle
OPENING A BOTTLE OF TEQUILA

Post by ronald » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:45 am

Ok: although we visit PV yearly and do the AI thing, we really don't drink much. I say this because it will explain why I finally tried to open a bottle.

So we brought back two bottles of Tequila. Tried to open one last night. Cap came off, but there's some kind of plastic insert with a little ball inside. I don't know if it's supposed to be like that, or if it's stuck in there, or if the cap broke. Could not figure out how to open the &^$$ thing. Finally took a pair of pliers and twisted... of course it cracked all over (the plastic, not the bottle) and inside. The wife had some cloth that I ended up straining this wonderful beverage through to get all those ^&$$in pieces of plastic out. Nice taste.

I have another bottle of this stuff left... same kind of top. Is there a trick to this or am I just an idiot?

charlieb

Post by charlieb » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:24 am

If I recall correct, that is a type of dribble reducer. You just open the cap, tip the bottle upside down, pour, and enjoy. Chuck... 8)

ronald
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ronald » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:36 am

No, the cap doesn't flip up or open.. it twists off, but then you have some sort of plastic see-through cover over top of that little ball.. It does not pour out... Got to be some kind of trick to this... like I said, on the last one I used pliers to twist (crack and break too) at this point. I'm trying to not recreate history here.

kingofmen
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by kingofmen » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:28 am

some times you got to give it a good shake to get the flow going, don't try it over a shot glass you'll make a mess.

northmb
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by northmb » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:00 pm

I, too, had the same experience! A friend was over and we were going to have a drink. Des was at work and for the life of us we couldn't get anything out of this bottle. Out came the various tools and we finally got our drink - after we strained out all the plastic bits and pieces and played with the marbles! We were sure that Des had rigged the bottle so we couldn't get into it! :) Apparently you just have to give it a good shake to get it going. It sure had us going!!

Sherry

raiderj16
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by raiderj16 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:06 pm

Just like the others said you have to shake it or hit it on the bottom like a bottle of ketchup. There is a little ball in the plastic that sometimes gets stuck and by hitting it or shaking it it loosens it. Enjoy!

howard_jax
PV Master
PV Master

Post by howard_jax » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:25 pm

Jeez. I went ahead and bit the darn neck off the bottle.

charlieb

Post by charlieb » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:55 pm

Howard: You and John Wayne. Chuck... 8)

ronald
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ronald » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:57 am

bit the darn neck off the bottle.
2o years ago... make that 30 - biting the necks off ozzy ozbourne style, spitting out glass, and peeing razorblades were all the things young pukes like me wanted to do in life.... but now I just want to enjoy drinking the stuff without too much effort..... or heartburn.

tojol57

Intelligence Runneth Over

Post by tojol57 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:12 pm

Take it from an old bartender (34 yrs and counting)... just like many of the other posters have stated a good shake will release the stainless steel bearing and release enough air into the bottle and your booze will start flowing out nice and easily... sometimes a good shake, or a good smack along side the bottle as if you were trying to get catchup out of the bottle faster...

Ron i am truly sorry that you had to go thru so much pain to get a drink out of this bottle... why don't you send me the other bottle to me, and i will make sure it it working properly and send it back to you... LOL

what kind of tequila did you bring home this year.... I brought home three different tequilas from the airport duty free shops plus two litres of racilla that friends of mine brought down from the mountains....

ronald
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ronald » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:43 am

They're 950 ml bottles of Blanco Tequila Herradura (2001)... not bad stuff, decent taste.... 46% alcohol, once you manage to get into the bottle.

harry
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by harry » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:39 pm

The secret is to not hurry the process. You have described what happens when one is in a hurry and emulates the bartender moves of a vertical pour. The restrictor is doing its job in preventing the precious stuff exiting all over the place. I have been using the following method for many years (after my first disaster).

Remove the cap and set it aside in a safe place that you can find later. Slowly tilt the bottle to just past the horizontal and the liquid will start to slowly dribble and increase as you continue to raise the bottle. It is not fast but avoids an over pour (god forbid). I have used this method for the last 15 years and am a satisfied happy consumer. Will be in PV in mid may to continue testing the procedure. Regards, Harry

kingofmen
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by kingofmen » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:06 pm

Remove the cap and set it aside in a safe place that you can find later
I take the cap off and throw it away! It's not good to leave a part bottle! :wink:

vexsgirl
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by vexsgirl » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:42 am

hahaha.. reminds me of the first time my husband had one of these bottles. He tried so hard to get the tequila out! I came in and smacked the bottle to loosen the top up a bit and it slowly started coming out, the next drink it poured fine. New fangled things anyway.
But the pouring a more accurate shot is true, lets you count the shot. Most bartenders use the counting method to pour an ounce or 1 and 1/2 oz. Its probably a 5 count or so with this insert.
Heres to effortless beverage tonight!

Cheers!

ronald
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ronald » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:55 pm

Thanks for all your help but I ended up breaking the second one too. Got a few of those you should know better looks here at home... I said that she should chalk it up to me being Ukrainian, but the wife says it's most likely cause I'm a man who doesn't follow directions.

Guess I'll have to bring a case home next time and then start practicing.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:38 pm

Hey Ronald,

I have a great Garmin GPS I will let you have for a good price won't help with the bottle but there will be some directions that you will be able to follow. :P

ronald
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ronald » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:17 pm

The last time I used a GPS two satellites collided.

Sr. Fox
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Sr. Fox » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:29 pm

ronald wrote:Thanks for all your help but I ended up breaking the second one too. Got a few of those you should know better looks here at home... I said that she should chalk it up to me being Ukrainian, but the wife says it's most likely cause I'm a man who doesn't follow directions.

Guess I'll have to bring a case home next time and then start practicing.
If you refrigerated it or cooled it, the ball will suck down to the point where it will not release. Warm the bottle up a bit and the ball inside the spout will release. Remember this bottle was probably filled or stored at pretty warm temperatures.

ronald
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ronald » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:50 pm

this bottle was probably filled or stored at pretty warm temperatures.
Yeah, that's how it was stored in our house too.. in the liquor cabinet right above the stove.

I still don't understand why they don't just use twist off caps like all the really good bottles of wine have.

Sr. Fox
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Sr. Fox » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:27 pm

Yes but warm in Canada is different than warm in PV. :)

I wear Jeans and till it is over 85 degrees!