Swine Flu

Kick back, relax, here any topic is fine, well... almost any topic... :-)

Moderators:admin, Moderators

darla
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by darla » Mon May 11, 2009 6:57 pm

I haven't noted anyone who actually went to PV since the outbreak of h1n1 presented itself reporting back as to what things were like when they went. If anyone has gone in the last couple of weeks, please report on what it's like...also, did anyone who reads this board get sick? As it is there are more cases in the US than there were/are in Mexico, so I am just as likely to get it here as I am in PV I think. We are still planning on going on 23 May.

jetboyds
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Coming 21 May

Post by jetboyds » Mon May 11, 2009 11:18 pm

With a large group. I am very familiar with PV, as are some of my friends. However, some are worried....that nothing will be open.

Hopefully they will lift restrictions on Mon 18th, and hopefully my favorite restaurants will be open..that is one of the reasons I come to PV.

Any news on your front would be great,

- David

Sr. Fox
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Sr. Fox » Tue May 12, 2009 1:55 pm

The restaurants here have not been closed, so you don't have to worry. Nobody here in PV has been diagnosed with this flu bug.
They only closed the Bar only establishments, nightclubs and discotheques.

Come on down... it is as safe here as life in general can be.

Zeewot
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Zeewot » Tue May 12, 2009 4:41 pm

We have been here since April 18th. Things have slowed down in the last couple of weeks. Huge difference with no cruise ships coming in...not as much parasailing, tourists shopping etc. Still seeing the party boats/day cruises head out each day...just not as full. Weather has gotten very hot and humid over last week or so and have had a bit of light rain in the evenings. Still getting sun during the day but clouding over late in the afternoon so not much for sunsets. Typical for this time of year though. Lots of bargains to be found....they are really hurting here...everything from discounts on massages, tours, shopping, etc. etc. Restaurant week is starting on May 15th and there is a brochure with all the restaurants participating in the dinner specials. Went to Andales last night....maybe 20 people there. Often we are the only gringos walking down the street. When we walked home last night we didn't see one single person (midnight). So come to Mexico, enjoy the quiet beaches, no crowds, great service, restaurant week and warm Mexican hospitality!

vmontene
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Traveling to Puerto Vallarta

Post by vmontene » Wed May 13, 2009 12:38 am

Hey everybody I need major advise on what I should do????? My friends and I were scheduled to arrive at PV on May 21 and stay through the 25. We purchased an all inclusive hotel package from apple vacations and we bought plane tickets on expedia because first we're arriving to Guadalajara to spend some days there too! But now our friend who is currently in Guadalajara wants us to cancel the trip because she says there is nothing going on, no people, and it's going to be super boring!

I still really want to go. We've been trying to get together for a girls vacation for like over a year now, but there is always something going or some excuse. There never seems to be perfect timing. Now that we actually found something good and booked it, all this crap happens.What should we do??? Is it really like a ghost town?

charlieb

Post by charlieb » Wed May 13, 2009 12:45 am

What should you do, montene? With all kindness, that's something you need to decide for your self. In order to make that decision, you need information. To get information, please read the 7 pages of this topic and read some of the other topics. There is more than enough information here for you to make that decision. Chuck... 8)

glendastory
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by glendastory » Wed May 13, 2009 2:02 am

Dear vmontene,
First question...have you ever been to the Bay/PV area? It's paradise. Yes, read the posts here, but unless you are an extreme party person and all that matters is that, then come to PV and enjoy. Honestly, I'm looking forward to less people there. I'm sorry it's that way, but I won't suffer at all. Maybe I'll relax a little more with the driving! With all that I have seen lately, things are getting back to normal and by the time you are there, it may be completely back to normal. I don't want to give you false hope, but do the research and make an educated decision. If you wait until later in the summer, it will be very hot and maybe not quite as enjoyable as now. Hope you go. The people in the region need our business and I'm all for giving it to them.

vmontene
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by vmontene » Wed May 13, 2009 2:29 am

I have looked at so many different internet articles and websites to try to find out how the current environment REALLY is! It's kind of hard for me to believe that PV could be so dead, even at this moment. I have never been to PV or Guadalajara before. Some sources say that only a few bars, clubs, and cinemas are closed, but everything else is open. I even called the toll free number on this website and the guy told me that only the schools were closed and everything else was open. The agent from the apple vacations number also told me that most things were also open. We're not major party animals, but we were planning on visiting one maybe two nightclubs for some dancing.

glendastory
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by glendastory » Wed May 13, 2009 2:36 am

I still say...GO. If I'm wrong, I'll give you my first born child...NOT...I'm 55 and don't have one yet, so I don't think that will happen. Again, research the official notices and make an educated decision. Hope to see you there!

Zeewot
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Zeewot » Wed May 13, 2009 3:42 am

I was sitting in the Epoca Bar here in PV about an hour ago and the officials came in to say the closures have been lifted and all can stay open as usual now. This whole thing is really so silly...been here since Apr 18 and we are healthy and fine and even if we did get the flu there is treatment for it....way too much media hype. Come to PV and make your own fun!

michalj72
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by michalj72 » Wed May 13, 2009 5:57 am

i honestly don't see any problem with coming to Vallarta. i mean, if you take the usual proper precautions regarding keeping healthy during the regular flu season. you can still go out to the nightlife places that remain open such as Bebotero, senor frog's, la bodeguita del medio, cheeky monkey, the Zoo, even Mandala is open. if the place is just a stand-alone bar and serves only drink, then it's still closed, like Bar Oceano and Hilo and the gay nightlife places like Paco's ranch, Stereo, La Noche and Manana etc etc.

on the South Side all the restaurants are open, plus andale's, steve's sports bar, apaches bistro, banana cantina, cuates y cuetes, as well as Garbo which is open at The Beach House. and the cafes are open

this isn't a complete list because i'm not sure about the North side the hotel district nor have i mentioned all the places downtown...

in sum, the nightlife places that are still open that i know of serve food as well as drink.

Sr. Fox
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Sr. Fox » Wed May 13, 2009 1:23 pm

As of yesterday, Tuesday May 12th, they once again announced the "all clear" and things are back to normal. It is front page news in the local papers here.

We have had a number of people in here in Cafe Roma that had listened to my advice and came anyway in spite of the warnings from the news media. All have been pleasantly surprised and happy that they came.
To those who came and are coming... Thank You!
To the rest of you... Come on Down! :D

glendastory
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by glendastory » Wed May 13, 2009 1:33 pm

Fact or fiction...Mexican officials are taking the temperature of all arriving passengers at the airports in Mexico and if you have fever they make you go back home? I heard that on a radio station here in Texas from a pretty reliable source. I suppose I can't blame them.

jj85712
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Awesome time to come

Post by jj85712 » Wed May 13, 2009 5:40 pm

Hello,
I am currently in PV. I got married here at the Sheraton last Saturday. I will be here until Friday. We invited 45 people, 41 came. EVERYONE said it was the best time they ever had. It is slow here, but 99 percent of things are open. The big clubs like Mandala are open until 2 am. Due to the fact that it is slow, it is like having your very own private Puerto Vallarta. No waits, no need for reservations, excellent service, everyone here is willing to make a deal on activities and the current exchange is 14 to 1 USD, doesnt get any cheaper.

If you want to come to Puerto Vallarta to see lots of Americans or Canadians, then you should stay home. Otherwise the fear is nothing but hype and this could not be a better time to come.

We went to Roma Cafe last night for the first time and it was excellent, thanks Fox for the good times and the best bathrooms in the world.

jj85712
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Temperature check at the airport

Post by jj85712 » Wed May 13, 2009 5:44 pm

It is a fact that they are checking peoples temperature at the airport as people come in and out. They have a machine that scans your eyes, not sure how it works. They are also stoping cars on the outskirts of town to check for sick people....guess what, no one is sick...you probably have more sick people sitting next to you at home than there are here.

Sr. Fox
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Sr. Fox » Wed May 13, 2009 6:05 pm

Hey congratulations on your wedding and thanks for stopping in. We enjoyed your company.

To the rest of you... listen to jj85712's advice. :)

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Awesome time to come

Post by webmaster » Wed May 13, 2009 10:05 pm

jj85712 wrote:We went to Roma Cafe last night for the first time and it was excellent, thanks Fox for the good times and the best bathrooms in the world.
So Mr. Fox's promotion on the forum is working! Good for you :-) Have a photo with you from some 8 years ago when you were president.

Best bathrooms? Are they imported from Japan or what?

Greetings

Mogens

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Wed May 13, 2009 10:44 pm

IRONY AT ITS BEST :roll:

190 people get the Swine Flu and everybody wants to wear a mask.

10 million people have AIDS and no one wants to wear a condom.

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Wed May 13, 2009 10:46 pm

Quite true... it's all a media controlled thing I guess.

Mogens

Sr. Fox
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Re: Awesome time to come

Post by Sr. Fox » Thu May 14, 2009 2:01 am

So Mr. Fox's promotion on the forum is working! Good for you :-) Have a photo with you from some 8 years ago when you were president.
Best bathrooms? Are they imported from Japan or what?
Yes it is working. People who read this eventually see the truth. It was a bunch of bad press by people who did not understand what was happening here. Nothing, was the point. Now PV is basically empty and we are waiting for the tourists to return to paradise.

The bathrooms are "home made". My wife had substantial input on the design of the Ladies Room. :wink: [/quote]