Swine Flu

Kick back, relax, here any topic is fine, well... almost any topic... :-)

Moderators:admin, Moderators

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God
Swine Flu

Post by smitty » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:36 pm

The swine flu story is dominating all our local/ national news stories . Cases in Mexico - Texas and California so far . I lived through the Sars hysteria that greatly affected Toronto a few years ago . People get scared real easy .

chico98
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by chico98 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:17 pm

People cannot catch swine flu from eating pork or pork products. Cooking pork to an internal temperature of 160 degrees Fahrenheit kills the swine flu virus as it does other bacteria and viruses

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld ... 4253.story

all this swine happening in mexico city
like the drug violence happening along the boarder
vallarta is still a heaven paridise
cool nights
balmy days
some breeze blowing
sunny
all helpful and friendly
what a healthy place to be

still lovin vallarta

benito
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by benito » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:21 pm

StarbucksLvr
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

First Timer at a Bad Time...

Post by StarbucksLvr » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:50 pm

OK, so my husband and I have NEVER been to Mexico... we have a trip planned to PV in mid-June but it seems like everything (and everyone) is telling us NOT to go. First the issues with violence and kiddnappings in the border towns, and now the Swine Flu epidemic. As a healthcare worker in the states, I am pretty knowledgable about flu, viruses, and epidemiology in general. The Swine Flu still scares me. If we do decide to go to PV, I will be coming home to 2 young children and a hospital full of catastrophically ill patients... do I really want to chance it? Again, I am a very intelligent and level headed person who WAS SO excited to finally go to Mexico and to PV specifically. Now I'm considering cancelling my timeshare reservations and taking a loss to get my airline tickets changed to somewhere else... :cry:

islena
PV Fan
PV Fan

talk to yourself

Post by islena » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:44 am

hey starbuckslvr, hope you don't talk yourself out
of what would most likely be a nice vacation in PV.
to me any plane ride to anywhere is risky, what with
the recylcled air on board. so you might as well go to
a nice place like PV to get your rest and rejuvenation.
PV is like a big friendly village - safe as long as you are
not engaging in anything risky. The open air restaurants
and pretty beaches will give you a nice break from your
cold winter and closed up surroundings and you'll head home
ready for whatever comes your way.

wishing myself to a PV visit soon ...... will you ?

islena

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:21 am

Starbuckslvr,
I too work in the healthcare field. If I was you, I would try to wait another week or two, you still have a month and a half, and see where this heads in the next couple of weeks. In the meantime go ahead and check into other destinations and get some ideas of the cost and where you might want to go. Just remember, unless you drive, you are still getting in a giant incubator in the sky no matter where you go.:) I have seen conflicting options on whether it will turn into a pandemic or fizzle out in a few weeks. As you well know, no one is going to be able to predict what it is going to do for sure and with it being spread from person to person it is going to travel everywhere that each infected person travels. I know they have no cases reported in PV yet, but all it takes is one sick person to bring it to town. I certainly understand your concerns about bringing it back to sick patient's, not something that you would want to have happen.

Let us know what you decide to do.

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Useful Info

Post by smitty » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:45 am

Here is some good information on how to track swine flu online .

http://mashable.com/2009/04/25/track-swine-flu/

James Mexico
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

SWINE FLU

Post by James Mexico » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:03 pm

Swine flu - any discission of flying in an aeroplano anywhere with this Flu floating about is NUTS !! -Stay home and protect yourself and your familia - Mexico and vacations can be enjoyed another day - another time - airports and aeroplanes are the worst place to be other than any medical facility - so stay SAFE y not SORRY !!! Amigo

cigard
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by cigard » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:07 pm

Should I stay or should I go? I vote Go!!!

James Mexico
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

SWINE FLUE

Post by James Mexico » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:56 pm

My point is simple - if everyone protected themselves and others from the "floating-virus" the virus would have no where to go and would die - if you must go on a vacation then it is important to do all you can to protect yourself - but remember that your risk-factor increases dramatically because of your elected environment - Mexico is acting correctly in canceling public events - if we all acted responsibly then this and any other virus would vanish - Amigo

benito
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by benito » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:08 pm

it seems the cdc is really on top of this, hopefully the threat can be minimized. i would follow kats advice, check out other options while waiting to see how this flu turns out.

ronald
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ronald » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:23 pm

I agree with the above poster who suggests that virus's are transferred most quickly via aircraft. A feared Pandemic will happen in somebodies lifetime and will no doubt spread globally very quickly because of ease of travel between continents through aircraft.

That being said; that is no reason to put our heads in the sand and stop doing what we love to do. As Canadians we have the luxury of having some of the best medical services in the world, and access to drugs (they are suggesting that Tamiflu which we have hoarded in this country is a viable treatment of this virus), that will keep all but the weakest of us healthy. All of our Health authorities suggest that we visit the clinics and get the whole range of shots that seem to cover everything from soup to nuts (HepC to common flu) before leaving the country, and this we should do.

The outbreak is not overly large in Canada (6) (all returnees from Mexico) ... it may never reach us, so there is no fear that someone from here is taking it down to Mexico to infect everyone there. Yes, it is transferable to humans by touching, sneezing, etc, which infers that sharing the same recirculated air on an aircraft could cause someone else to contract it, but the odds of that happening are slim, and the medical facilities in Canada upon return will correct and contain the problem.

It sounds quite sensational and newsworthy right now, but putting it into perspective they suggest that greater Mexico City has over 30 million people.. That's more than the population of Canada. They have had about 1000 cases and just over 20 deaths. I feel sorry for those that are sick or died, but in the same period more than that were killed in the so called drug war in Mexico, and at least 20 persons were killed in vehicle accidents across all of Canada (same population remember) this weekend. Perhaps we should get rid of cars and go back to horse and buggies... (we might have to if Chrysler and GM pack it in)

So, if any of you that managed to read this whole diatribe can afford my tickets, I'd be happy to visit PV again this or in the coming months.

robinann
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by robinann » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:28 pm

My 9 y.o son and I have a trip planned to PV in 2 weeks. Unless they close the borders, we are definately going! I know some people would say this is insane, especially since I could be putting my son's health in jeopardy, as well as everyone we come in contact with at work and at his school when we return. However, I agree with above posts that say ANYTIME you fly ANYWHERE you are taking a huge risk of getting something due to all that lovely re-circulated air we breathe on the plane. Say what you may, we are GOING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rogerj
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

100% Chance of Fear Pandemic

Post by rogerj » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:00 am

The only thing we know for certain is that the media will bloat the risk of swine flu totally out of proportion to boast reader/viewership, and that some company will find a way to make money off people's irrational fears. Here's comments from 3 years ago about Avian flu that could just as easily be written today.

"Your chances of winning the lottery are about one in 14 million. Your chances of catching bird flu are more like one in 100 million."

"If Americans are afraid of avian flu now, imagine what will happen if a single scrawny, flu-ridden migratory bird somehow manages to reach our shores. This is how fear works, how the fear epidemic - as opposed to a flu pandemic - spreads. Fear is supposed to be our warning system against imminent dangers, but as a deep-rooted emotion, it interferes with our ability to make sound judgments. And if anything is contagious right now, it's judgment clouded by fear. Immediate government overreaction creates this cycle of fear: The public reacts and calls for action. Health officials, hearing the public and media cries, look to quiet these generated fears with knee-jerk health policy (such as stockpiling a product with a relatively short shelf life: Both Tamiflu and bird flu vaccines are perishable and will have to be discarded if not used in three years)."

It makes no sense to make dramatic changes based on the news so far.

Edited to add: I'll be in PV in 2 weeks, and there's nothing that will keep me away!

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:17 am

The airlines are now allowing passengers to change/cancel reservations with no fees involved.

I agree with not getting all crazy about this but working in the medical field I have to say....if people keep traveling as "James Mexico" stated above it WILL keep spreading. For every person that takes it back to another country they will pass it on to others and that is how it is spreading. The newest cases in the U.S.... Ohio, a third grade boy who just returned from a visit to Mexico. In Texas, a student in the same high school as the other cases is now ill (they are still testing to see if he has it or some other infection). Case-in-point, if he has it...he got it from a classmate; he is currently quaratined in his home along with his entire family. Every case in the U.S. so far has come from someone returning from Mexico. Australia has now reported cases from a group of people who have just returned from Mexico. France has reported cases. It isn't just drifting in the wind to all these countries there is a common denominator to all of the cases, everyone has been in Mexico or around someone who has been in Mexico.

LAX has 31 flights arriving daily from Mexico, today they started cleaning/sanitizing the drinking fountains and door knobs every 1/2 in all terminal buildings that handle international flights.

The nightclubs in PV were all ordered closed today for a week. They cited inadequate ventilation, the warm temperature in the clubs and the fact that they are afraid that people that are in affected parts of Mexico will leave and go to other parts of Mexico that have no reported any cases. So they are erring in the side of caution and closing all clubs for a week effective tonight.

I fully understand the hassle and the disappoinment of canceling a trip you have had planned sometimes for as long as a year, but if going is only going to possibly end up with you being sick while on vacation (24-48 hr incubation period) or bringing it back and exposing everyone at home, school, on the plane.....sometimes we just have to do what we don't want to do.

Perhaps the most interesting thing they said on the news tonight when referring to the current outbreak that is 'PRESUMED" to have 'STARTED" in Mexico. That statement makes me wonder if they have found something that is leading them to believe it started somewhere besides Mexico????

I am looking at having to get on a plane that I know has been traveling back and forth from Mexico in a few days for business and the idea isn't exactly thrilling me but since it is for business and not pleasure I don't have much of a choice.

wyoblu
PV Fan
PV Fan

travel ban

Post by wyoblu » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:03 pm

The US State Department has just issued a travel ban. All I can say is they better get it together before my long awaited vacation. I am going travel ban or not. We get one chance each year to visit our friends. I could stay home and a truck could take me out on the interstate. I refuse to live my life in fear.

jhonfm3
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by jhonfm3 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:14 pm

I live in Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico and so far so good! Luckily your trip is not for some time, so you have *plenty* of time to breathe a sigh of relief and make an informed decision.

As of the evening of April 27, the Associated Press reported "...the State of Jalisco, in which Puerto Vallarta is located, have no confirmed cases..."

I recommend monitoring reliable news sources like the Associated Press (www.ap.org), the US Centers for Disease Control (www.CDC.gov) and the World Health Organization (www.who.int) As always, watch-out for inaccurate emotional information. The Embasy to Mexico from the US State department (http://mexico.usembassy.com) reports that "The United States has imposed no additional constraints or limitations on travel between the United States and Mexico." They did not report a "ban" on travel. Again, always keep posted with informed data.

As you probably know in major cities, especially Mexico City, The Mexican government is treating this as an very important matter and closing public locations (museums, churches, etc.) In PV I have heard confirmation of closing nightclubs and I think perhaps restaurants too. I have friends who own bars, nightclubs and restaurants, but I haven't been out today (Monday, 27 Apr 09) to talk with them to get full detail. I also haven't heard of any hotel closures or the like. If I hear confirmed news, I'll be happy to post.

On April 26, I spoke with my mother in the State of Kansas in the USA and they have two confirmed cases, but have not taken any unusual action.

I have been searching for the method of transmission and so far only found info on the common strains of flu which tends to be getting it on your hands and then introducing it to yourself by touching your eyes, nose or mouth. So..the old advice of frequent hand washing and not touching your face is probably the best bet.

However, like anyone, monitor good sources to make an informed decision. It is ultimately based on your personal comfort level. I for one am planning on staying put and I am not worried. (Besides, I could be hit by a meteorite tomorrow and flu would be the least of my worries!)

wyoblu
PV Fan
PV Fan

travel

Post by wyoblu » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:47 pm

I agree with the reliable information. The US State Department did post a no unnecessary travel this morning. I am thinking this will pass. The only information we are getting is the hand washing thing, cover coughs and sneezes. Keep hands away from mouth, etc. The same for general flu precautions. Good friends of ours are from Guadalajara, and they are still planning their trip home, for an extended vacation. Of course, we will all be watching the posts to see how things are going in Vallarta. I think the high concentration of people in Mexico City hinders the containment. As always, our prayers will be with all of our friends in Vallarta.

bvopcheryl
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by bvopcheryl » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:49 pm

I just read on another board that all the bars and restaurants on the malecon are shut down indefinately. Does anyone know if that is true? I sure hope not as we are supposed to go next week and weren't planning on canceling unless they close the border.

dvlnsyd
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Swine Flu

Post by dvlnsyd » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:43 pm

I just wanted to let those who are following this Swine Flu know..I returned home from PV last night. So far everyone in my household is fine. I will keep you all posted if anything develops. As we were going through Immigration/Customs in LAX last night around 9pm there was no indication by anyone of any concerns regarding the Swine Flu..I have to say I was very surprised this morning when I got up and found everyone all in a flutter about it. To those considering travel to PV soon...just stayed informed. We saw no signs of illness anywhere in PV. This could quickly fizzle out.