First time to Puerto Vallarta - Need Help!

Kick back, relax, here any topic is fine, well... almost any topic... :-)

Moderators:admin, Moderators

ronniegintx
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
First time to Puerto Vallarta - Need Help!

Post by ronniegintx » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:26 pm

What is the best way for me to call back home to the US from Puerto Vallarta? Also need advice on calling from the US to our hotel in Puerto Vallarta? Really don't want to incur the high cost of cell phones.

Any general info on what to do while visiting would be great.

Thanks

darla
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by darla » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:45 pm

If you are worried about cost, I would definitely not use the hotel phone to call home. I did that the first time I traveled to PV and only called to say we got there safely. I'm talking no more than 4 minutes...cost me almost $100. I have an international plan on my cell phone and it's about 50 cents a minute. That's the route I'd go.

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by travelbug_jp » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:36 am

If you are bringing your laptop then I would suggest you download Skype. Its awesome and really cheap if you call a phone, but if you call another Skype user any where in the world to the computer its free. Hope that makes sense.
Skype to phone = cheap
Skype to Skype = free

If that is not an option then search around the internet cafe's in the area you are staying. Lots of them have very reasonable rates to call Canada or the States. Something like $1.50 for 10 or 15 minutes.

Joyce

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:53 am

Just remember with skype that not all hotels have internet connections so you will end up either carrying the laptop around all day/night.

As you were just told....Do NOT call from your hotel, it is way too expensive. If you do not have an international calling plan it is going to be expensive to call home. I have it on both my home and cell phone so it isn't bad for me when I am down there. There are several places around town that let you call home free with the purchase of a drink/food. Also there are internet cafes that have inexpensive calling/ or you can purchase a Tel-Mex phone card and call from a pay phone. That will solve the problem of you calling home but it will still be expensive for whomever calls you from the states. What I usually did when I had to call home to check on the kids was I set a time to call so I knew they would be there and then I would tell them when I would call again. In an emergency they can always leave a message for you to call them back, just make sure you check your messages, sometimes the lights don't flash to tell you there is a message.

So basically your options are:
A laptop with Skype

An internet cafe or a business like "Cafe Roma", "Dee's coffee shop".

Or a calling card and a public phone (which was what I always did so I didn't have to be in a certain part of town at a certain time to call).

Put international calling on your cell phone and take it off when you get back home. I have AT&T and it is $4.99 a month.